U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 AM

36 posts, read 87,865 times

Advertisements

Hi-I am moving to the VA area from Philly suburbs. Husband works at DOJ in DC. We are finally going to move down here. I was I want to find an area that is a great community for a child with great schools. I am considering the Springfield and Lake Ridge subdivison...While the area in Lake Ridge seems nice, I am concerned with the schools (lake Ridge Elem, Lake Ridge Middle and Woodbridge HS), they did not get the best marks...the elem got high ratings, but middle gets 7 (out of 10) and the high schools gets only a 5....This concerns me greatly. Can anyone tell me what they know about the Woodbridge HS and Lake Ridge Middle and Elem?

I always hear Springfield would be better because it is fairfax county vs Prince William...Can someone shed some light and give me feedback ...in particular about Lake Ridge subdivision. Which area would it be best to raise your children and why?

THANKS SO MUCH
Jill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 12:28 PM

8,121 posts, read 12,691,081 times
Hi Jill,

I sent you a DM.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:31 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,133,493 times
Which neighborhoods/schools in Springfield are you looking at?

Old 12-07-2008, 12:34 PM

8,121 posts, read 12,691,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Which neighborhoods/schools in Springfield are you looking at?
I was just going to ask the same question.

My wife and I both teach elementary students in Springfield, but our son attends a Prince William Co elementary.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,133,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I was just going to ask the same question.

My wife and I both teach elementary students in Springfield, but our son attends a Prince William Co elementary.
Our children attend school in Springfield (in the Burke/West Springfield area). We think the teachers do an amazing job.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:12 PM

413 posts, read 1,044,903 times
I went to Rockledge Elementary, Woodbridge Middle, and Woodbridge High. Zoning used to be different and some kids had to make the journey all the way to WMS even though they lived like 5 minutes away from Lake Ridge Middle.

Rockledge and any elementary school covering Lake Ridge is legit imo. Seeing as how I hung out with kids that went to Lake Ridge Middle, it is also a good school.

My experience at Woodbridge High was also positive. Most of the teacher's were helpful and knew their stuff. The people that tried as in put forth effort went on to colleges at W&M, Vtech, UVA, JMU, CNU, Radford, GMU, and UMW.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,963,296 times
I don't know anything about the specific schools in Prince William. If you can afford to live in Springfield, it will save your husband a lot of time on his commute so you'll have more family time together. If you can tell us what neighborhoods you're looking at in Springfield, then we can tell you more about the schools there.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:39 PM

73 posts, read 222,140 times
I agree the commute north on 95 is awful in the mornings and the same is true coming home at night. If you can afford to live further north of Woodbridge, I would highly recommend it.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:15 PM

3,504 posts, read 7,948,258 times
I am not sure about the elementary schools but I have heard from many people that West Springfiedl H.S. is great - West Springfield is the "better" side of Springfield.

When we were househunting everyone told us to stay away from Woodbridge High - I dont know why.

Even the so called "bad" schools are good around here.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:56 AM

36 posts, read 87,865 times
Default orange hunt, irving middle and west springfield

Hi-
The area in Springfield that we were looking is OrangeHunt, Irving Middle and West Springfield (those would be the 3 schools to which my son would attend).

If we were to live in Lake Ridge, my husband would slug.

Is the concensus that Springfield is best???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia