Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 21,057,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
New job in Arlington near metro at Rosslyn blue/orange lines. I am currently living in another state and need to move to NOVA. I was thinking of somewhere in Prince William but advice I got in my original post was that the commute would be too much, (even to drive and park at a metro station and take that in to work) since I would prefer a 30min max commute to a metro station.

So I am now looking at Fairfax. Rent range 1200-1400 for two bedroom and I would prefer a house versus an apartment.

I've found the Weichert and Long & Foster sites and have looked at a few but I don't know about neighborhoods. I've bookmarked places that I liked in Reston, Herndon, Chantilly, Centreville and Alexandria.

Is anyone familiar with those two agencies? If I contacted one of them would they be able to take me to see several places in one day? I don't have a lot of time to get this move done.
Weichert and Long & Foster are reputable companies for real estate sales; I'd assume they're decent rental brokers as well.

In much of Fairfax County, Alexandria and Arlington, one would be hard-pressed to find a one-bedroom apartment for $1200 let alone a two-bedroom house. You may want to consider adjusting your rental budget a few hundred bucks upward; that may put you in the range of a 2BR apt if not necessarily a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 03:18 PM

20 posts, read 45,612 times
I've actually found four, of course I won't know how good they are until I see them in person.

Hoping to take the train in later this week to evaluate.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:44 PM

8,977 posts, read 21,057,345 times
Quote:
I've actually found four, of course I won't know how good they are until I see them in person.

Hoping to take the train in later this week to evaluate.
You know you're in an expensive area when a 2BR dwelling for "only" $1200 looks suspicious.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you find!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:19 PM

8,796 posts, read 15,235,339 times
Quote:
New job in Arlington near metro at Rosslyn blue/orange lines. I am currently living in another state and need to move to NOVA. I was thinking of somewhere in Prince William but advice I got in my original post was that the commute would be too much, (even to drive and park at a metro station and take that in to work) since I would prefer a 30min max commute to a metro station.

I live in Prince William, near Montclair (Dumfries). Leaving at 7:00 a.m. it takes about 35/40 minutes to get to Springfield (Fridays, maybe 30/35). My wife leaves at 7:30 a.m and it is just about the same.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:36 PM

446 posts, read 1,641,999 times
22309 Alexandria is the furthest part of Alexandria from Rosslyn/DC. That being said, 22309 is better any day versus Centreville and anywhere in PW County. The GW Parkway ends in 22309 and it would be a straight shot up to Rosslyn from there. Personally, I'd rather ride up the scenic GW Parkway than deal with 66.

To the LA folks on this thread--it is soooo COLD here now, I'm so jealous of your 70 degree, sunny temps!!! Be prepared for winter!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 03:50 AM

4 posts, read 7,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMac View Post
To the LA folks on this thread--it is soooo COLD here now, I'm so jealous of your 70 degree, sunny temps!!! Be prepared for winter!!!
I grew up in the Pacific NW and miss having seasons! I'm looking forward to an excuse to break out all my hats and scarves and mittens again.

Any apartment dwellers on this thread? There seem to be so many options; I'm having trouble figuring out where to start, which reviews to trust (people seem to universally hate Riverside, Taylor Place & Circle Towers...is that about accurate?).

Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 PM

I found and submitted an application last week after a marathon one day of visiting rentals. I used a Long and Foster realtor - David Olinger (www.davidolinger.lnfre.com). Took the train into the Amtrak DC station, then the metro out to Alexandria, and met with the realtor who took us to all the rentals. I've signed a lease and plan to move down in another two weeks.

@caseymac - I am in 22309 and it is within the range I wanted. I think we were on the GW Parkway on the way to lunch and if I'm remembering the right road, it was scenic.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:46 AM

8 posts, read 10,428 times
Quote:
I found and submitted an application last week after a marathon one day of visiting rentals. I used a Long and Foster realtor - David Olinger (www.davidolinger.lnfre.com). Took the train into the Amtrak DC station, then the metro out to Alexandria, and met with the realtor who took us to all the rentals. I've signed a lease and plan to move down in another two weeks.

@caseymac - I am in 22309 and it is within the range I wanted. I think we were on the GW Parkway on the way to lunch and if I'm remembering the right road, it was scenic.
I am planning to visit NOVA in March to look for rental properties; how was your experience with David Olinger.

Thanks

Old 02-07-2009, 01:14 PM

It was very good, I would recommend him. I had some properties that I was interested in that I found in their database and he also did his own search and had some more suggestions for me. I only had that one day and I found a place in that same day.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:52 AM

23 posts, read 72,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsaisue View Post
My husband is going to be starting a job in Arlington in Feb or Mar of next year. We live in Los Angeles now. I've been lurking at this forum for a week or so now, reading past threads and trying to get a sense of where we might want to live in NoVa; it's been quite helpful so far, so thanks everyone!

I'm trying to get a handle on proximity now. It seems worthwhile to find a place on the metro line, since his job will be right at one of the stations. I'm wondering about the difference between commuting from Alexandria or Fairfax/Vienna or Fall's Church. Is there a big difference between being on/near the metro line in the surrounding areas and being right in Arlington? Also we've got an infant, but even though school's a few years off we'll need to think about that. I've read that Arlington's school system is more highly regarded than others in the area, but that the difference maybe isn't all that significant. Any advice - either on the housing hunt or the school situation - would be appreciated!
I did just move from SoCal (West LA) to Nova (Arlington in Ballston area, right above Metro). So I actually gone out and looked at all the Metro friendly neighborhoods (plus good schools). A few things to note.

1. Falls Church City might be nice (small town feel) but it's a giant speed trap. I almost got hit by a cop car who drove onto curbs trying to get a car who did a rolling stop, right turn at a red light. It was so much like watching a lion pouncing on a hopeless dear on the Nat'l Geographic Channel. 25 MPH is the speed limit so be ready to pay often.

2. Parking at all the Metro stops are tough to find, and even tougher to access (most access roads are for HOV cars). If you want to stay on Orange line, parking is only available from East Falls Church or westward (but EFC parking lot is small).

3. The drive from Alex to Arlington is not too bad (I assume you/he will use Glebe) around 6-7 am. But just remember it's only 2 lanes in each direction, and lots of buses (stopping or turning right), and lots of left turning cars (with no middle turning lane). And lots of stop lights.

4. You can take Metro from Alex to Arlington and the time isn't too bad. This may costs more than driving, but many DC area employers subside for public transportation. Make sure you can walk (not park and drive) to the station in Alex, because parking along the Yellow/Blue lines seem tougher than the Orange line.

5. The drive from rest of Fairfax county (Tysons' corner, Vienna, Fairfax, Chantilly, McLean, etc.) to Arlington is actually pretty bad, because all the county roads, although wide, simply have too many stop lights, strip malls (cars turning in and out), cars, etc.. So if you do go this direction, make sure you are not too far off from the Fairfax county/Arlington border (think of 7-Corner, Annandale, etc.).

I ended up along the corridor from Rosslyn to Ballston (I am right above Ballston Metro), a strip of mainly highrises and townhouses between Fairfax and Wilson. I can get to DC quickly, and get to airports (Reagan or Dulles) quickly. And there are enough shops and nightlife to make it interesting. And Arlington schools (especially northern Arlington) are not too bad.

I am renting of course, but I will probably buy in the area too, since it is most convenient for where I need to go (DC, airports, shops, schools, highways). Hope this first-hand perspective helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia