Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 15,541 times

Advertisements

I received a reckless driving ticket the other night for speeding/racing and so did my friend but he got into an accident because of it. Coming down the road we were speeding but not racing and i slow down to under the speed limit to make the upcoming turn. My friend blazes on by and takes the turn too fast slamming into a stopped car causing a slightly serious accident. Neither person was hurt though.
I am 16 and have been driving for about 5 motnhs now and so is my friend. The police officer never read me my Miranda rights, bullied me into telling him what happened while my dad was standing next to me the whole time. What's going to happen? The cop never asked my dad anything and the only eveidence they ahve of my doing anything wrong is witnesses saying im racing. I can understand my friend getting a reckless driving charge but me? I wasn't even withing 100 feet of the accident when it happened. Hopefully i can get it lowered to a speeding or improper driving ticket.

What do you think will happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 01:30 PM

989 posts, read 2,855,735 times
I think you should stop driving until you're mature enough to take responsibility for your actions.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:44 PM

595 posts, read 2,308,175 times
10 strokes of the cane; in front of your high school class.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:45 PM

47 posts, read 162,904 times
What WILL happen or what SHOULD happen?

You SHOULD be thankful you're alive, your friend is alive, and that all the innocent bystanders are alive, and as a result learn to obey basic traffic laws...but from your clear lack of understanding of the seriousness of the situation you caused, I doubt you WILL.

If I were your parents I wouldn't let you drive again until you were eighteen. Period.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:15 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
10 strokes of the cane; in front of your high school class.
Too easy. a weekend in jail (not in juvi) and 6 months to year with no license.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:22 PM

Just to make it clear though i stopped speeding and came under the speed limit about a 1/4 mile before the accident happened but my friend kept on speeding. Also i never went more than 70 mph (posted speed limit 55).

Old 12-10-2008, 04:27 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,863 times
You're actually admitting you were racing and going 15 mph over the speed limit, but you shouldn't get any punishment because you slowed down to go around a bend? Is that what you are saying?

This is the reason the driving age should be raised. Be a man and take your punishment.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:41 PM

no i never said we were racing and we werent. Also reckless driving is defined as driving "at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit." I was only going 15 over. i'm not saying i shouldnt have a punishment but i don't think it should be reckless driving. I just would like to know legally what could happen or if this truly is reckless driving. there is no evidence against me.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:51 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,863 times
In one post you said they have no evidence and in another you say witnesses say you were racing. I don't think a judge is going to take your word (a driver of only 5 months) over a police officer's. Did he write reckless driving on the ticket? Who says you were only going 70, just you? How did he bully you with your father right there? Why would he ask your father anything if you were the one driving? Was your father in the car with you?

If you were an experienced driver with no previous record, it would probably be possible to get it lowered..maybe. I'm not so sure about you though. Get a lawyer.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:59 PM

yes he wrote reckless.but yes but its only words and they have no proof of my speed. i understand i have not even driven for a year but still. i told him we were not racing. he then speaks to my friend who says we werent racing. he then comes back over to me and says my friend told me we were racing and starts telling em that if i'm lying i could get into more trouble and all this other stuff. of course i became scared because i was not lying.

since i am a minor my dad would play a role in the officer asking me things. since this is a criminal offense i should have been read my Miranda rights but i wasnt. I am getting a lawyer too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia