Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:30 AM

4 posts, read 5,563 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

something really crazy happened this morning. I was driving to work and came to an intersection/light where there was an accident in the direction I was driving. One police officer motioned for me to drive on the other side of the road ( what I thought he actually did) - thats the direction of incoming traffic ( it was early morning and there were no cars around. So I started driving on the wrong side of the road to bypass the accident as the cop told me to; another cop pulls me over gives me a court date ( I did not get ticket -sorry I did not clarify in early) for reckless driving. The cop that directed me to drive the wrong way was not the same cop that pulled me over. The cop that pulled me over said the other cop meant to tell me to turn left or right and that he will recommend jail time for me in court. This is insane. I am really confused on how to defend myself against this charge. I have clean driving record and a very responsible parent of 3 young children. I need help everyone. I am definately getting a lawyer. I live in fairfax county VA, and it has one of the toughest traffic charges in the state.

Last edited by needhelpnow123; 08-01-2010 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: add more information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 08:54 AM

449 posts, read 1,388,044 times
From what you described I am surprised you got a ticket. If the cop who gave the ticket was the one who motioned you to drive the way you did after you explained your position, then I think you should go to court and explain that to the judge.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:56 AM

8,806 posts, read 15,242,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
From what you described I am surprised you got a ticket. If the cop who gave the ticket was the one who motioned you to drive the way you did after you explained your position, then I think you should go to court and explain that to the judge.
I agree. I can see how you could misinterpret his hand gestures. You were legitimately trying to follow his directions. How were you supposed to know that he wanted you to turn? It seems like a logical thing to do...go around an accident. After all, there is that "move over law". Although I'm not surprised he was an *** and gave you a ticket, I would definitely challenge it.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:28 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,565,552 times
Good idea to get a lawyer - many years ago I was charged with the same, and went to court without a lawyer. The police officer completely lied to the judge - even went up and whispered something in his ear at one point - and I ended up convicted. I was totally not guilty. I absolutely do not trust police officers anymore - I think they lie frequently to cover up their mistakes, and don't care about the effect it has on people's lives.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:56 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,198,219 times
Definitely go to court, and you might want to return to the scene and take photos. They could help as you or your lawyer explain the situation to the judge.

I see from your post that the ticketing officer is not the same as the officer handling the accident. I assume only the ticketing officer would be required to show for your court date, so you should be sure to do whatever is necessary to have the accident-handling officer show as a witness to be questioned.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:04 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,167,952 times
You're getting a lawyer per your post. You need no further advice from anyone on here.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:10 PM

30 posts, read 34,929 times
I wouldnt listen to anyone here. In fact youre going to get an hour or so gratis with attorney and if you dont like what youre hearing find a second or even third one because the po po that waved you on needs to be s[SIZE=3]ubpoenaed . Im thinking youre gonna walk "case dismissed"![/SIZE]

Old 08-01-2010, 05:17 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,245,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelpnow123 View Post
Hello Everyone,

something really crazy happened this morning. I was driving to work and came to an intersection/light where there was an accident in the direction I was driving. One police officer motioned for me to drive on the other side of the road ( what I thought he actually did) - thats the direction of incoming traffic ( it was early morning and there were no cars around. So I started driving on the wrong side of the road to bypass the accident as the cop told me to; another cop pulls me over gives me a court date ( I did not get ticket -sorry I did not clarify in early) for reckless driving. The cop that directed me to drive the wrong way was not the same cop that pulled me over. The cop that pulled me over said the other cop meant to tell me to turn left or right and that he will recommend jail time for me in court. This is insane. I am really confused on how to defend myself against this charge. I have clean driving record and a very responsible parent of 3 young children. I need help everyone. I am definately getting a lawyer. I live in fairfax county VA, and it has one of the toughest traffic charges in the state.
You did not get a ticket? I would think you need to have a ticket in hand when you go to court? Are they going to send you something in the mail? I have to say I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over, given a court date, told the officer would recommend jail time but no ticket issued? Sounds strange to me, although I do have to say with FFX police it wouldn't surprise me. Best advice is get a lawyer.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,136,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelpnow123 View Post
another cop pulls me over gives me a court date ( I did not get ticket -sorry I did not clarify in early) for reckless driving.
Sounds more like the cop was pulling your leg. If you didn't get a ticket how could you be charged with anything? I'd call the cops' department, speak to a supervisor and ask for an explanation but it sounds bogus.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:08 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,167,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
You did not get a ticket? I would think you need to have a ticket in hand when you go to court? Are they going to send you something in the mail? I have to say I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over, given a court date, told the officer would recommend jail time but no ticket issued? Sounds strange to me, although I do have to say with FFX police it wouldn't surprise me. Best advice is get a lawyer.
Imagine that. We're not getting the entire story. This is why I won't give advice to a post like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia