Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:28 AM

7 posts, read 25,769 times

Advertisements

I'm sure the title of the thread already has some people laughing, but I figured it doesn't hurt to try. My husband and I are just about to buy a townhouse in Burke. Having just completed our twenties, we are definitely ready to settle in somewhere more homey, park-full, and family-friendly as we plan to start a family soon (we've been slowly moving to the suburbs over the years via Arlington, Alexandria, and now Burke!). But, at the same time, we are both musicians, like a good variety of cuisines, and occasionally going out with friends. Does anyone know of any nearby venues to Burke that host musicians and/or serve yummy non-chain food or are in any other way a fun place to spend some time with friends? Or should we just stick with what we already know in Alexandria, Arlington and DC?

Thanks!

p.s., If your new neighbors next to your townhouse were musicians (otherwise respectful, nice people, that don't stay up too late, but occasionally loud depending on the thickness of walls), how annoyed would you be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 03:07 PM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
O.K., I haven't been "hip" for a while now - LOL, but I'll give it a try:

1) Fat Tuesdays at University Mall across from George Mason (local bands). Fairfax.

2) Zax (club with live entertainment - local and famous bands). Int Old Keene Mill and Rolling in West Springfield.

3) Kilroy's restaurant & bar (neighborhood sports bar scene). Braddock Rd in Springfield.

4) George Mason University has frequent concerts and sporting events.

5) Glory Days (sports bar).

6) Kate's Irish Pub (downtown Springfield).

Old 12-17-2008, 03:27 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
O.K., I haven't been "hip" for a while now.
That's how I feel too, but one place that came to mind is Jammin Java in Vienna: jamminjava.com :: calendar . I've only been there during the daytime for children's musical programs, but I know other couples who go there in the evening for music/drinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay6000 View Post
p.s., If your new neighbors next to your townhouse were musicians (otherwise respectful, nice people, that don't stay up too late, but occasionally loud depending on the thickness of walls), how annoyed would you be?
Each person is different, but if the "loud parties" wake up my small children after their bedtime, I would probably be annoyed.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:38 PM

446 posts, read 1,648,184 times
COFFiHouse in Merrifield has live music

Old 12-17-2008, 07:52 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
Burke is the most un-hip place I have ever been - thats why I like it! When you have kids hipness goes out the window -
Caribou Coffee Kings Park shopping center (I know a chain) has open mike night where local musicans or poetry readers go. Thats about it.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:44 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,411 times
I can vouch for the food at Kilroys as yummy and non-chain. We have been eating there regularly for years.

I highly recommend the salmon honey dijon. Prime rib pocket is also excellent.

You gotta deal with reality: Fairfax County is not a very happening place. I think we have more phds per square inch than any place in the country, and generally speaking, phds are not very happenin' people.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 8,405 times
Firehouse Grill in Fairfax near GMU has live music with an open mic on some nights.
Jammin' Java in Vienna has a wide variety of music
Saxby's Coffee near GMU sometimes has impromptu music going on.
Kilroy's does have good food
La Tolteca off Ox Rd between Burke Center Parkway and Popes Head Road has EXCELLENT mexican food.

However, I can pretty much guarantee none of these will begin to compare with the places you usually go in Arlington, Alexandria & DC.

As for music through the townhouse walls, maybe you'll get lucky and live next to someone like me. My sons have gone through the stages of playing piano, viola, trumpet and drums in school bands to the blazing electric guitars of today. My neighbors has been very tolerant and our rule is no instruments after 11 pm. Conversely we have endured our share of their cello, violin and horrible techno-thump music from them. We'd rather have our kids and their friends making noise at home than trouble somewhere else.

Good luck in Burke!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:43 AM

269 posts, read 1,002,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay6000 View Post
Having just completed our twenties, we are definitely ready to settle in somewhere more homey, park-full, and family-friendly as we plan to start a family soon
Burke seems really dry and plain-vanilla, so you should try really quick to start that family and then all cares about "hipness" will go out the window.

BTW, NoVa is full of couples battling inferility and having to endure all sorts of IVF-treatments etc. etc., so are you really so sure that you will soon have a family? I have a co-worker who spent 4yrs trying to have a baby with his wife, and they depleted their savings by almost 6-figures before finding sucess (the wife gave birth 6wks early after spending months on bed-rest).

Personally, I wouldn't move to Burke until the baby is in the bag, because imagine how depressing that will be seeing all those happy families while waiting perhaps years to conceive. Just a thought...

Old 01-16-2009, 05:51 PM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
In an earlier post, I mentioned "Zax" for live music. I meant Jaxx Nightclub. It's at the intersection of Rolling and Old Keene Mill.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:36 AM

595 posts, read 2,308,175 times
www.maleks.com for casual dining, and they will deliver to many parts of Burke. 20's crowd on their way home from DC. 703-451-6969.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia