Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,740 times

Advertisements

I visited northern virginia and DC a few years ago and absolutely fell in love with it!

I am a photographer and would like to eventually set up a studio somewhere in northern virginia. I'm trying to research a nice town or small city to do this in. I like quaint and a nice place to eventually raise a family. I just need a direction from some locals that are familiar with the area so I can research more.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 05:34 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,274 times
Please provide a little more info. I could start naming places, but not sure if it will suit you. How far do you want to be from DC proper? Do you you prefer being closer to water or mountains? Do you want to be in a place where it feels small, but adjacent to urban centers or be as far as possible from urban centers? And so on and so forth....

Old 12-20-2008, 07:15 AM

446 posts, read 1,647,654 times
Middleburg, Leesburg

Also look at Easton, Md.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:57 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Hamilton, Purcellville, Waterford, Lovettsville, VA

Old 12-21-2008, 10:27 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I think the historic area of Clifton is very quaint and pretty.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:26 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
What kind of photography will you be doing? Who is your intended clientele?

Old 12-23-2008, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,520 times
Fauquier County is nice...Brookside is just across the border so its still close (enough) to DC.... check out our community: Brookside

Old 12-23-2008, 03:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,740 times
Sorry, I forgot I had even posted this!

Please provide a little more info. I could start naming places, but not sure if it will suit you. How far do you want to be from DC proper? Do you you prefer being closer to water or mountains? Do you want to be in a place where it feels small, but adjacent to urban centers or be as far as possible from urban centers? And so on and so forth....

I don't really care about being close to water or mountains but I'd like a place where it feels small, somewhat of an older town with a lot of character to it.

What kind of photography will you be doing? Who is your intended clientele?

I will be doing mostly portraits/weddings/kids/etc. I also have multimedia experience.

My boyfriend researched Vienna... any thoughts?

thanks!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:32 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
if you can afford to live in Vienna, then go for it. My advice would be your boyfriend go to Law School and be a divorce attorney. You could get the clients before the wedding to take the wedding photos. Give your clients a year, then boyfriend could help divorce them

Old 12-24-2008, 02:11 AM

6 posts, read 21,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
if you can afford to live in Vienna, then go for it. My advice would be your boyfriend go to Law School and be a divorce attorney. You could get the clients before the wedding to take the wedding photos. Give your clients a year, then boyfriend could help divorce them
Ha! Funny but sad too, so true.

Vienna is expensive & beware of the traffic - what a HUGE headache!!!

All the other suggestions at the beginning of the forum are less expensive areas to live in but farther from DC - but an easy commute if you want to go into DC on weekends. Still, you could get a good client base too.

I grew up in NoVA and now live out of state, but most of my friends live in Leesburg, Manassas, Warrenton, and further out on past Centerville. All those places seemed to be wayyyyy out there growing up - but those places are growing fast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia