U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:10 PM

8,775 posts, read 10,681,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDShadow View Post
If you move to Annandale you'd be pretty close to the Vienna metro station that can take you right into D.C. if you have a job lined up there.
The easiest way to commute to DC from inner Annandale, by far, is the 29 (29G, 29H, 29E) bus express to the Pentagon. Unless you work on the Orange line, relatively farther west, or at non-standard hours when the express buses dont run, the Orange line is not worth. Even folks from "outer Annandale" use the 29X or 29E bus

If you must take the Orange line, and are going from inner Annandale, the Dunn Loring stop is more convenient than Vienna.

WRT to TJ - of course you dont need to live in Annandale for your kids to go there, but it DOES shorten the commute - if you have a kid like mine, who needed to sleep as long as possible in the AM, that helps. Note thats only if you drive the kid - if they have to use the buses, they will take the bus to Annandale HS first (all TJ kids who take buses go to their base school first, but if you are commuting from Loudon, say, that at least makes sense), and then a bus from there. When we couldnt drive DD, we had her take the metro bus instead, cause the school bus network was so absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 02:32 PM

60 posts, read 103,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the Orange line is not worth. Even folks from "outer Annandale" use the 29X or 29E bus

If you must take the Orange line, and are going from inner Annandale, the Dunn Loring stop is more convenient than Vienna.
Well, that goes to show you how little I know about NoVA's public transportation lol. I usually drive myself, and when I used to work out in DC I got to use the company van in Falls Church to go troubleshoot network issues at DC/MD locations.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:23 PM

15,938 posts, read 36,058,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDShadow View Post
Annandale itself has lots of Korean restaurants, if you head east you'll hit Eden which has lots of Vietnamese restaurants. Afghani Kabob dishes are really good. You can also find Peruvian chicken places too which are really tasty. Lots of fast food in Annandale as well, I often drive out from Fairfax City to Annandale to pick food up.
Sounds so good! Afghani kebab sounds like something I'd really get into.

Despite whatever might be said about suburban living....NOVA's demographics and choices of foods really make up for it.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:33 PM

4,559 posts, read 7,031,144 times
I saw Annandale in the news last night...the flooding there looked pretty bad. Is the town doing OK?

Old 10-01-2010, 02:29 PM

where in Annandale - I live in TH community thats on rise over a creek that feeds the Accotink, and everything seemed fine this AM (though I havent been to the basement since last night). Some areas right along the Accotink tend to have worse flooding problems.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:37 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,402,539 times
Annandale has major aesthetic, um, 'issues.' Some of the tucked-away SFH/townhome neighborhoods surrounded by trees might be pleasant retreats from the gash of ungracefully-aging suburban grit and civic apathy (with some very good Korean restaurants, I'll give you that) that is Little River Turnpike, but I'm not sure that'd be enough for me... Driving west across the Fairfax City limits is a bordering-on-surreal experience.. from a quintessential DC-area older blighted-looking suburb to one that looks like a 'normal,' quaint-ish older suburb (i.e., one in a non-DC US metro).

Old 10-01-2010, 02:46 PM

116 posts, read 176,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
Wow, why did a thread that's over 4 years old (check the OP date) get bumped? To complain about bigotry? I mean, I don't think it's cool either, but why bump a 4 year old thread to complain about it?

Anyway, assuming the OP still reads here, Annandale is a place I have looked at as I plan to move further north in a few years. In particular, I was looking in the Canterbury Woods area; it has an excellent school pyramid (by test scores, Canterbury Woods ES, Frost MS, Woodson HS) and is relatively convenient to West Falls Church metro if you know the back roads.
Funny enough, I grew up in that particular area. It borders Fairfax proper, although not Fairfax City (that is a different jurisdiction that has its own school system) and is a ways away from part of Annandale that most people are talking about. I have friends who moved back to Annandale and it is fairly quiet. The area is pretty safe and while there is an abundance of Korean businesses that are more targeted towards Koreans, there are still plenty of non Korean businesses.

West Falls Church is not closeby. Dunn Loring is a lot close and is the convenient metro station to the area. I don't think Annandale is any uglier than the average suburb. The older part of Annandale at least has some density so thinks are fairly close by and isn't one dull strip mall after another like I saw in Ashburn.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Annandale has major aesthetic, um, 'issues.' Some of the tucked-away SFH/townhome neighborhoods surrounded by trees might be pleasant retreats from the gash of ungracefully-aging suburban grit and civic apathy (with some very good Korean restaurants, I'll give you that) that is Little River Turnpike, but I'm not sure that'd be enough for me... Driving west across the Fairfax City limits is a bordering-on-surreal experience.. from a quintessential DC-area older blighted-looking suburb to one that looks like a 'normal,' quaint-ish older suburb (i.e., one in a non-DC US metro).

Quibble - the boder is really the beltway, not the FFX city limit. While its not all beautiful, I would say the area along LRT between the beltway and the FFX city limit seems like normal older suburb to me (though I havent lived in many suburbs outside NoVa, so my standards may be wrong)

I agree with you about the aesthetic issues of "inner Annandale" (east of the beltway). I am not sure about civic apathy - IIUC Fairfax County Planning has written a reasonably decent looking plan for the area. The thing is, if theres not much major new construction, how do you transform the look of an area? And I cannot see the economics for major new construction that could transform the commercial (or older multifamily residential) parts of inner Annandale, whatever civic activism were to occur.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:51 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,402,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Quibble - the boder is really the beltway, not the FFX city limit. While its not all beautiful, I would say the area along LRT between the beltway and the FFX city limit seems like normal older suburb to me (though I havent lived in many suburbs outside NoVa, so my standards may be wrong)

I agree with you about the aesthetic issues of "inner Annandale" (east of the beltway). I am not sure about civic apathy - IIUC Fairfax County Planning has written a reasonably decent looking plan for the area. The thing is, if theres not much major new construction, how do you transform the look of an area? And I cannot see the economics for major new construction that could transform the commercial (or older multifamily residential) parts of inner Annandale, whatever civic activism were to occur.
Poorly maintained roadsides and medians (weeds, litter, illegal signs) are really one of the biggest components (but not sole facet) of Annandale's aesthetic troubles, even outside the Beltway (though, yeah, to a lesser extent than inside).

Old 10-01-2010, 05:38 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,083,299 times
It is heavilly wooded and hilly -- if you like that, then great. Not for everyone, though. Also, I find the shopping centers to be quite crowded and with not much to offer. Homes are older, circa 1960s, so you'll find a lot of "interesting" architecture from that era. Annandale's selling point in that it is relatively affordable for those looking for SFHs and within decent communting distance to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia