U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 PM

60 posts, read 103,478 times

Advertisements

Yup, really like the Afghani chicken kabob platters with the bread and yogurt dipping sauce they have.

I'm gonna have to go to the one in Fairfax next time after I work out. They have a lunch-time all you can eat buffet that I've never seen.

As for poorly maintained roads and such, I've seen parts of Fairfax City's roads fall into disrepair at some point or another. They're definitely not on top of keeping things re-paved like they used to when I first moved here.

I really don't think Annandale is all that bad myself but that's probably because I used to live in a pretty run-down area in Boston (it's home and has lots of fond memories but highly doubt I'd wanna move back into a place like anytime soon haha).

Like some have noted, there are parts of Annandale west of 495 that are basically just like Fairfax City and the big changes in scenery and feel happen once you head west over 495.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,002 times
I've lived here in Annandale for seven years in a very large apartment complex right off of Americana Dr. right inside the beltway. You really need to do your research and see if Annandale is right for you and your family. Annandale outside the beltway has a very different vibe than inside, I'm speaking mainly of inside. Drive around, notice the houses that have 4- 5 cars jam packed on the lawns/streets. Follow real estate, notice how many more homes are for sale/foreclosure inside the beltway/236 E. as opposed to outside the beltway/236 W. Follow the school buses. Does the school need teaching assistants just because of the large number of ESL students? See the line ups of migrant workers at the 7-Eleven on Rt. 236 and Hummer and then continuing on down for several blocks on Rt. 236. Very diverse indeed, maybe not for you, it is not uncommon that I'm the only white walking the streets/high school track. Local Kmart doesn't even bother to print sales flyers in English, Spanish only as well as some rental complex banners along 236. Rent is cheaper here, but then again you might have several families/gangs sneaking into one apartment. My neighbor next door runs a mini daycare center to make ends meet. Check your crime stats for Americana and Patriot Drives- cross your fingers if you have to park your car on these streets! Look for the MS-13, SSL and SUR 13 tags. Oh, the rental complexes are quick to cover them up, but evidence still remains on the crosswalk off of Americana Dr., crossing over 495 to Wakefield Park. Which, Wakefield Park is great for a lil escape from the city! Biking trails, wildlife, Audrey Moore Rec Center with athletic fields, classes, skate park... The Korean restaurants/bakeries are great too. So, cheap rent, crammed people and cars, lots of diversity, lots of crime, great parks and restaurants, easy access to public trans/NOVA/DC... Honestly, I've lived here for so long because of the cheap rent, easy access to the city/parks and I can just turn on the tv and drown the rest out. 99% of the time, I make it to the lot in time (it's usually full by 9:00 PM) and don't have the worries of parking on the street and also don't have any kids or pets to worry about.

Last edited by LivinginAnnandale; 06-03-2011 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: decided to add more, correct grammar

Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM

8,777 posts, read 10,686,410 times
[quote=LivinginAnnandale;19430450"]I've lived here in Annandale for seven years in a very large apartment complex right off of Americana Dr. right inside the beltway. You really need to do your research and see if Annandale is right for you and your family. Annandale outside the beltway has a very different vibe than inside, I'm speaking mainly of inside. Drive around, notice the houses that have 4- 5 cars jam packed on the lawns/streets. Follow real estate, notice how many more homes are for sale/foreclosure inside the beltway/236 E. as opposed to outside the beltway/236 W."

the sw corner of inner annandale off americana is not the whole nabe.

" Follow the school buses. Does the school need teaching assistants just because of the large number of ESL students?"

None of them at TJHSST (yeah I know its not a nabe school)

" See the line ups of migrant workers at the 7-Eleven on Rt. 236 and Hummer and then continuing on down for several blocks on Rt. 236."

As far as I can tell it serves as a hiring center for employers from some distance, including west of the beltway.

" Very diverse indeed,"

Overall, it is.

" maybe not for you, it is not uncommon that I'm the only white walking the streets"

The whites and asians here DO tend to be too reluctant to walk in my opinion - they drive around here instead. That said, you will see a higher proportion of whites walking (mostly for leisure) north of LRT. Walk up hummer on a nice weekend day and see.

"/high school track"

never do the the track, cant say.

" Local Kmart doesn't even bother to print sales flyers in English"

Ive never noticed but I usually only run into Kmart for some specific thing I know I want.

"Spanish only as well as some rental complex banners along 236."

Mostly I see stores with english alongside the spanish - or alongside the korean, as often as not.

" Rent is cheaper here, but then again you might have several families/gangs sneaking into one apartment."

Gangs? My impression is that folks in situations like that are mostly working, and pretty quiet (which would seem to be a rational strategy) Anyway, thats mostly a phenom of the walk up apt complexes - and a few of the larger and older SFH's.

" My neighbor next door runs a mini daycare center to make ends meet. "

Enterpreneurship!!!

"Check your crime stats for Americana and Patriot Drives- cross your fingers if you have to park your car on these streets! "

We've parked there a few times for access to Accotink trail never had a problem but that was during the day. What ARE the crime stats for that end of the nabe?

"Look for the MS-13, SSL and SUR 13 tags. Oh, the rental complexes are quick to cover them up, but evidence still remains on the crosswalk off of Americana Dr., crossing over 495 to Wakefield Park. "

Ive walked across that, I wouldnt recognize a gang tag. I do see cyclists, etc.

"Which, Wakefield Park is great for a lil escape from the city! Biking trails, wildlife, Audrey Moore Rec Center with athletic fields, classes, skate park... The Korean restaurants/bakeries are great too. So, cheap rent, crammed people and cars, lots of diversity, lots of crime, great parks and restaurants, easy access to public trans/NOVA/DC."

i would say all of these - but the cramming is only really an issue for the apt complexes (both in that SW corner, and a few elsewhere)

"

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 06-14-2011 at 03:20 PM..

Old 12-17-2011, 02:08 AM

4 posts, read 14,200 times
I've lived in Annandale 12 years. Some observations: Another cheap, relatively fast way to commute from Annandale to D.C. is too catch the 3A bus on L. River Turnpike near the Safeway and transfer to the metro at East Falls Church. As for Kmart, the shopping experience there has gotten worse the last few years. The lines are very long and too few are open. One time, I waited for about 15 minutes, then was told to go to customer service as they were closing one of the only two open lines. Then, some lady in front of me argued about some return item. It is the only time I have ever walked out of a store flabbergasted without completing a purchase. They need to move out and put a Walmart in its place. 80 percent of the customers seem to be Hispanic, with the next largest demographic being Asian, but I don't have a problem with the race of the customers, just the crappy customer service. I do find the Korean businesses as a whole to cater mostly to Koreans but I have gotten coffee at a Korean coffee bar next to the Safeway a few times, and the service was fine. It could be that non Koreans assume they are not welcome at the Korean restaurants, but like someone else said, it is in their economic interest to attract a wider array of people to their businesses. I did have a problem at a Korean Buffet next to the Giant, off of Columbia pike. They offered a buffet for X dollars, then tried to force my wife and I to purchase Crabs at an additional cost. So, we walked out. That unethical practice may not be representative of other Korean establishments. From what I have observed, the koreans largely seem to be a quiet people personality wise and do seem to be aloof. This aloofness may be mistaken by non koreans to mean they don't want non-koreans as customers. I don't think that is the case. They are very entrepreneureal and value the $ like anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia