U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:54 AM

229 posts, read 672,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Sage advice - subject to the observation that there may be a major redistricting in the next few years, so there may be regrets if the neighborhood school pyramid doesn't turn out to be the one that you thought you'd selected. Going private, where that's an option, avoids this risk.
Going private should be the backup plan to an unfavorable redistricting. It doesn't avoid the risk, but reduces risk.

In general, moving into an established area where no new communities are going up and thus lesser fluctuations or discrepancies in enrollment also reduce risk.

Safest bet is probably around the beltway area covering McLean/West Falls Church/inner Vienna which feed into Langley, McLean, and Madison High Schools.

There was a big uproar where north Vienna kids got redistricted to South Lakes HS instead of Madison. To me, it kind of makes sense to send some western Great Falls (FFX Cty) kids to South Lakes and Herndon instead of Langley HS since the former 2 are much closer. The area north of Leesburg Pike is generally Langley territory, but that's a wide swath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,624,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
My 1978 R.E. Lee High School Yearbook, page 87, has him listed as "Mr. Mel J. Riddle" U.N.C., A.B.; George Mason U., M.A. 6 years at Lee.

Maybe he changed his name, or you hit your head, when he threw you.
The yearbook staff probably got graded on how many ads it could sell to Spencer's Gifts and the other fine merchants in Springfield Mall, not its spelling.

In any event, here's the Alexandria City Public Schools press release that accompanied Riddile's departure from TC Williams:

ACPS: Principal Mel Riddile Will Move to NASSP in July (http://www.acps.k12.va.us/news2008/nr2008051402.php - broken link)

Old 01-06-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankdude View Post
There was a big uproar where north Vienna kids got redistricted to South Lakes HS instead of Madison. To me, it kind of makes sense to send some western Great Falls (FFX Cty) kids to South Lakes and Herndon instead of Langley HS since the former 2 are much closer. The area north of Leesburg Pike is generally Langley territory, but that's a wide swath.
Your view was shared by hundreds of parents and students from Westfield and Oakton who were redistricted into South Lakes, while Langley was completely excluded from the boundary study. Needless to say, they got nowhere with the School Board, which had its own agenda.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 PM

595 posts, read 2,097,903 times
Falls Church News-Press
Here's the press release from him being named the 2005 Principal of the Year at J.E.B. Stuart.
We just call him "Roidhead"; so it doesn't matter.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,046,748 times
Oh come on, this is Fairfax County with it's $120,000/yr. household income averages, and so how many "poor single moms" can there really be?! You are stereotyping African-Americans in a very negative way.

There are a number of schools in the Mount Vernon area with both high percentages of black students and high percentages of poor students. You do the math. Very few families with two working adults are eligible for free lunches.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:53 PM

229 posts, read 672,756 times
Quote:
Your view was shared by hundreds of parents and students from Westfield and Oakton who were redistricted into South Lakes, while Langley was completely excluded from the boundary study. Needless to say, they got nowhere with the School Board, which had its own agenda.
Even if you don't swear by US News or Newsweek rankings, I can't think of another county or area in this country where there are so many top ranked non magnet high schools on those lists within such a small boundary. It is kind of amazing for both FFX and Montgomery Cty.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:11 PM

23 posts, read 65,078 times
A few pages back Car54 ridiculed some claims of "kids got into TJ then turned it down". I agree, why pay the application/testing fee only to turn it down? Just to prove to yourself, friends or parents how smart you are (at 8th grade)? C'mon, TJ admission is a huge industry; it liters most Asian newspapers in VA (and even MD). So please don't sour-grape. TJ is really better for the truly gifted and hard working children who already excel in math/science, and want to be exposed to more of their kind (peers and teachers).

Having said it, I know my son (a 7th grader) doesn't stand a chance getting into TJ (my wife begs to differ). Not only is he Asian (2 strikes), but he is transferring from Beverly Hills (think of rich kids, CA sunshine and laid-back lifestyle) to NoVA (probably highest concentration of type A's in the US), thus lack all the work habits and qualifications (math classes, GPA,community services, leadership, etc.) needed. Heck, 1/3 of TJ freshmen had Geometry in 8th grade? Most Beverly Hills High Sophomores are still failing Algebra.

I know it's wrong to discount my son's ability (or luck) at 7th grade, but getting into an all-star high school doesn't guarantee success in college or life either. So I am putting him into George Mason High, because of very small class size (150 or so per grade). I want him to get to know most of his peers and their parents in depth (networking). I want him to learn a comprehensive sets of knowledge and skills without feeling pressured to compete on grades or against his peers (the very people who are going to help him succeed). I like his teachers to know him in depth too, and perhaps take interest in his development (from a boy to a young man) for future stages in life (college, work, life).

So parents, have faith in your kids even though they might not make it to TJ. Just equipped them with all the necessary skills in life (basic tools, networking/people skills), and they are equally likely to succeed.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck90211 View Post
A few pages back Car54 ridiculed some claims of "kids got into TJ then turned it down". I agree, why pay the application/testing fee only to turn it down? Just to prove to yourself, friends or parents how smart you are (at 8th grade)? C'mon, TJ admission is a huge industry; it liters most Asian newspapers in VA (and even MD). So please don't sour-grape. TJ is really better for the truly gifted and hard working children who already excel in math/science, and want to be exposed to more of their kind (peers and teachers).

Having said it, I know my son (a 7th grader) doesn't stand a chance getting into TJ (my wife begs to differ). Not only is he Asian (2 strikes), but he is transferring from Beverly Hills (think of rich kids, CA sunshine and laid-back lifestyle) to NoVA (probably highest concentration of type A's in the US), thus lack all the work habits and qualifications (math classes, GPA,community services, leadership, etc.) needed. Heck, 1/3 of TJ freshmen had Geometry in 8th grade? Most Beverly Hills High Sophomores are still failing Algebra.

I know it's wrong to discount my son's ability (or luck) at 7th grade, but getting into an all-star high school doesn't guarantee success in college or life either. So I am putting him into George Mason High, because of very small class size (150 or so per grade). I want him to get to know most of his peers and their parents in depth (networking). I want him to learn a comprehensive sets of knowledge and skills without feeling pressured to compete on grades or against his peers (the very people who are going to help him succeed). I like his teachers to know him in depth too, and perhaps take interest in his development (from a boy to a young man) for future stages in life (college, work, life).

So parents, have faith in your kids even though they might not make it to TJ. Just equipped them with all the necessary skills in life (basic tools, networking/people skills), and they are equally likely to succeed.
Good luck to you and your family on your move. George Mason has a great reputation and has a smaller scale that no other NoVa public high school in similar proximity to DC or the Dulles corredor can offer. On the other hand, your son's being Asian would not count against him, were he to decide to apply to TJ. If he isn't taking Geometry by 8th grade and doesn't have a stellar academic record, however, it would be an uphill climb. Most successful applicants to TJ are fast-tracked into Algebra by 7th grade or take it in summer school between 7th and 8th grade.

With respect to Car54's comments, we can all agree that the vast majority of those admitted to TJ - following a rigorous testing and application process - will choose to attend. There are instances, however, where someone admitted to TJ will choose not to attend, or attend for a year and, on their own initiative, decide to return to a neighborhood school. Even if the number of such instances is exaggerated, they exist.

Last edited by JD984; 01-08-2009 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 01:15 PM

269 posts, read 899,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck90211 View Post

This is a good post, and you give great perspective to the parents who need to "chill out" a bit regarding hyper-competiveness about the schools.

Btw, being Asian is not 2 strikes against your son, as TJ is "race-neutral" and admit a disproportionate number of Asian students, many of whom are not U.S. citizens and whose parents do not even pay Fairfax County taxes.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:08 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,122,839 times
Quote:
Don't they always? Too bad their agenda rarely has anything to do with what the parents/taxpayers want or what is best for the students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia