U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,102,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck90211 View Post
A few pages back Car54 ridiculed some claims of "kids got into TJ then turned it down". I agree, why pay the application/testing fee only to turn it down? Just to prove to yourself, friends or parents how smart you are (at 8th grade)?
Well, I may be an oddball here, but my son took the TJ test last month. I doubt he will make the final cut for many reasons, but even if he did, I'm not 100% sure our final decision would be to send him there. For many reasons.

The first being the distance--we live in Prince William County. My older child attends a private school in Fairfax and the distance has been wearing thin on all of us. It would be nice to have a child in a school that is relatively close to home.

My son is very bright mathematically, but is also very bright in the social sciences. He is not sure if he wants to focus so much on the science curriculum that is at TJ. While good in science, he's not crazy about it.

We knew all this before the test; however, he really just wanted to take the test to see how it was and he wanted to make sure all his options were open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 07:12 AM

229 posts, read 672,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well, I may be an oddball here, but my son took the TJ test last month. I doubt he will make the final cut for many reasons, but even if he did, I'm not 100% sure our final decision would be to send him there. For many reasons.

The first being the distance--we live in Prince William County. My older child attends a private school in Fairfax and the distance has been wearing thin on all of us. It would be nice to have a child in a school that is relatively close to home.

My son is very bright mathematically, but is also very bright in the social sciences. He is not sure if he wants to focus so much on the science curriculum that is at TJ. While good in science, he's not crazy about it.

We knew all this before the test; however, he really just wanted to take the test to see how it was and he wanted to make sure all his options were open.
LOL! My point exactly.

To the poster whose kid is coming from Beverly Hills to NoVA where you don't think he'll cut the mustard. You're better off keeping him at Beverly Hills.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,938 times
Javern,

Luckily, there are many good schools in Fairfax County. An excellent (somewhat of a best kept secret) is Trinity School at Meadow View in Falls Church. It is a middle and high school, although some students just go for middle school. It has a challenging, innovative curriculum throughout the six years. Students have gone to TJ from this school and students have left TJ for Trinity. It is really up to the individual student. It is a small school so students get a lot of attention. If a child leaves Trinity during high school it is usually because of the tough math/science program. It is worth checking out.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:58 AM

73 posts, read 221,857 times
Same here, ChristineVA -- son took the TJ test just to see if he could make the cut. He probably won't attend if he is accepted (the commute!!!!!!). Yes, it may seem to be a waste of money (app. fee) but there is nothing like the look on his face when he got the letter yesterday. He was simply thrilled to have made it to the semi-final round. I probably won't see that look again until he applies to college and hopefully getting an acceptance from his first choice

Old 01-28-2009, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,057 times
Hi..I am looking for information on Chesterbrook Academy in Chantilly. I am looking for a quality elementary school for my daughter and can not get any information on this school. Also, I am interested in information about providence elementary which would be the public school in our area. Help?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTnest View Post
Same here, ChristineVA -- son took the TJ test just to see if he could make the cut. He probably won't attend if he is accepted (the commute!!!!!!). Yes, it may seem to be a waste of money (app. fee) but there is nothing like the look on his face when he got the letter yesterday. He was simply thrilled to have made it to the semi-final round. I probably won't see that look again until he applies to college and hopefully getting an acceptance from his first choice
Congrats to your son!!

My son got the letter but he did not make the semi-final round. Even though he didn't want to attend (so he says) he was a bit disappointed that he didn't do better on the test.

For me, yeah a bit of a disappointment but a sigh of relief at the same time!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:52 PM

Yes, I totally empathize with the sigh of relief!!! Just thinking about the logistics of the after school activities, sports, music etc. -- not to mention the daily commute -- gives me a headache! He says he still won't attend if he is accepted. As a parent, I want what is best for him and although TJ is a great school, I don't know if it is the best place for him. Anyways, chances are slim to none that he will get in as they only accepted 15 out of 175 students from Pr. Wm. County last year.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:07 PM

I understand about the logistics. My daughter attends private high school in Fairfax County and it was not fun the first year and half that she wasn't driving. Uuuughhh. But there was a bus and it can be done! As far as I know, there is a bus to and from TJ, correct?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:05 PM

From what I understand, there is a bus but you drop your kid off at a central pick up/drop off point. Once they start at TJ -- I am sure there will be group projects etc. which would require pick up by parent. Then there is the "summer" school program, seems like lots of kids attend it because they don't want to be "behind" if they don't go. All in all -- it gives me a headache! Then what happens if Pr. Wm. school closes and Fairfax stays open? Will we still have bus service or will we have to drive to TJ? Since the child says he will not go, I won't think about it anymore

Old 01-28-2009, 08:17 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,122,374 times
EMT,
Just wondering why you are making your child go through this if he doesn't want to attend TJ. The next part of the application, and getting the recommendations, is no piece of cake. Why put him through that?

I really don't like the way they now admit kids to TJ. Over 1,700 kids made the second round, out of about 2,600 who apply. That means 1,200 kids face disappointment after going through all the hassles of the second part of the application. That's WAAAAAY too many kids to disappoint. Since only 450 to 500 will be admitted, the chances of getting in are still pretty slim. Plus you have NO idea if your kid is ranked in the top 100 on the test, or is in the bottom 100, with virtually no chance of admission.

In the past, there were only 800 kids in the final pool, and half of them would be accepted. Those 50% odds were MUCH better than the odds now of less than 30%. I see NO reason for TJ to do it that way and reject so many kids in the second round when nearly every kid who makes it that far thinks that they will get in.

You can find more data on who gets into TJ, and who doesn't, here:
http://www.ceousa.org/content/view/582/101/ In some cases, it appears to be rather random. I suppose that can be a consolation for some.

Yes, my kid did go to TJ. He and his friends were perfect for the school, math and technology nerds, and proud of it! They all went on to careers in math, tech, science, and medicine. They also aced the TJ test, much like their SATs. They missed one (or two at the most) questions on the TJ test and on the SAT. There's some stiff competition at TJ, and that is not to their advantage when it comes to getting into college. There's a limit at every college for TJ students. If getting in the best college is your goal, being the smartest kid in a base school will give your child more advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia