Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 AM

595 posts, read 2,307,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
I'm putting my kids in private school. Just a personal opinion. I went through the school system in PWC, I think the options in private schools are better.
But Nitro, you've always been so bullish on PWC. I don't see how you could pay 5000+ per year in property taxes and have to send your kids to private schools, and still say it is a great place to live. Did you find out your kids teacher has zero college credits?

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-08-2009 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: prejudiced remark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:23 PM

413 posts, read 1,164,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Nemesis,

Can I ask when you attended? My friend's daughter went there and graduated in 2004. In the 4 years since she started and then my daughter went, the school changed quite dramatically (graduating class was closer to 700 students). Hey, I don't think it's a bad school and I think all the public schools can be phenomenal if you are an advanced student. She wasn't and got dragged down in the "muck and mire" and there were so many racial incidents that *she* got tired of it--not me. By the time April/May rolled around of her Freshman year she said "I'm just so sick of the daily crap around here."

I'd like to give the public schools another shot but I'm waiting to hear something positive from a parent or student who is in the middle of it. I had some very good reports over the years on Forest Park High School, but I've recently heard from some of my son's friends who attend and two other parents that, apparently, a drug problem has "exploded" there. Again, they were very happy 3-4 years ago but there has been a fairly dramatic change over the last few years.

I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on?
I graduated in 2005. Overall, I think the cohesion of the school and in life amongst people of all cultures and walks of life have coming to the state it should be. I remember back in middle school where all the black kids would sit together, asians together, whites together,etc.

It's not hard at all to be placed in an AP class. You just need a B+ presumably and a teacher recomm. and you're golden.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:05 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
But Nitro, you've always been so bullish on PWC. I don't see how you could pay 5000+ per year in property taxes and have to send your kids to private schools, and still say it is a great place to live. Did you find out your kids teacher has zero college credits?
I'm not saying the schools are bad, however, given the chance I personally picked private schooling (which my child is in right now).

As Nemesis stated, TJ is a heck of a school. I would send my child there in an instant.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-08-2009 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: edited quote for previously deleted remark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia