Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 06:26 PM

17 posts, read 39,641 times

Advertisements

If I were willing to pony up for the toll every day, could I make it to work and home in under 35 minutes? Which would be the best route?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:46 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,738,867 times
Go down Claiborne (or Belmont Ridge) to the toll road and take that to Fairfax County Parkway south. Then I guess you'd take 50 east. In rush hour traffic? No, don't think you could make it in 35 minutes. It takes me 35 minutes to get to GMU without rush hour traffic which isn't that far from the mall. But maybe someone else will be able to get you a more positive answer. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:46 AM

989 posts, read 2,855,489 times
Take Waxpool to 28 (save your $$-the Greenway just went up to $4 at rush hour). 28 South to Mclearan, Mclearan to a right on where it ends (West Ox or Old Ox-can't remember). Turn right on Fairfax Co Parkway, take to Fair Oaks Mall. Should take about 30 (no traffic) to 45 minutes (traffic), depending on the times. If you can beat the buses (leave before 7:30am), I think you could definitely make it in 35 minutes. And I have never had a problem coming back from there in the afternoons, as long as you can get on the road before 5pm (28 and Waxpool starts backing up after that-not too bad, but lots of volume).

Helpful pointers:

In hte mornings, once you get through the Waxpool traffic onto 28 South, get in the left lane of 28 South to avoid all the people getting on the toll road. Once you pass the toll road exit, get back into the right lane of 28 to get past all the people turning left onto Frying Pan. Mclearan is the next exit off of 28 (exit on the right).

Also, this kind of depends where in Ashburn you are coming from. I assumed you were Ashburn Village/ Farm/ Broadlands area.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:49 AM

17 posts, read 39,641 times
Great input.......I greatly appreciate it.

45 minutes on a bad day, I can live with, especially if it saves me $8 a day! I am hoping to be an early (700am) and middle (500-530pm) commuter

Old 01-10-2009, 07:25 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,977 times
I started a new job a few weeks ago and do this same drive every day.

I take Ashburn Pkwy (Waxpool) and then get on 28S. Then I get on 50 towards Fairfax. It takes me about 40 minutes to get there. (leaving at 7:30am) Coming home is a nightmare. LOTS of traffic. I am done at work at 5 and it starts to back up at McLearen...Yesterday was so bad that I took the Greenway home as it was Friday and I just wanted to get there fast. (COuldn't believe how much faster that was but we can't afford for me to take that all the time...Maybe once a week!)

Good luck! (ps: I live in Ashburn Farm...just about 2miles from Belmont)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: