Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:32 PM

549 posts, read 623,702 times

Advertisements

I got my BA from the Univ. of Mary Washington and I lived right in downtown Fredericksburg on "Hangover" Street and Fredericksburg--along with UMW--is a VERY liberal place. And most of those churches you speak of are more historical attractions, the one across the street from my apartment was a gay-lesbian church. The people who actually live within Fredericksburg city limits are mostly college faculty, college students (mostly female and nearly half of them from out-of-state), and 30-something yuppies with young families who commute to DC. The city is very Democratic, voting Kerry over Bush in 2004 by a whopping 64-35%, but then again its also a college town.

UMW and the surrounding residential neighborhoods leading into downtown are simply gorgeous, with tree-lined streets and cute little bungalows amidst aging yet elegant Victorian homes. Gay pride flags are very common in FXBG and its pretty much an island of liberalism surrounded by a very conservative and very Southern Spotsylavania County.

There are a multitude of bars downtown where UMW students frequent, and most of the college students are chicks, so its pretty easy to hook-up/date/whatever with single females while you're here, provided you have all your teeth and you're not a "Fredneck" or one of those shady ghetto-types that hang out at the Motor Inn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 01:03 AM

555 posts, read 2,695,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
It may not be totally liberal now, but if you take into account the surrounding area, I'd say that a good 70% of people who currently live there, did not live in the Fredericksburg area before the '80s. Also most of the influx of new residents is from the north, or at the least northern VA. I'd consider Fredericksburg fairly liberal, especially with the university in town. Sure there's still some local fRednecks in the area, but they're slowly moving away to areas like Orange or King George.

I agree, i lived there for 2 years and noticed it was quite liberal (the downtown part, not the surrounding area). Having an open gay bar/restaurant (Merrimans) is an indication of that (it does serve damn good food. I was just a little surprised when i went into the back bar area on a Friday night after dinner with my wife!!). Not saying that being gay is wrong, but to say indicate that it is some anti-liberal/anti-gay city is incorrect. Fredericksburg is a good time and everybody seems to get along.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,211 times
I know this was posted a while back but I recently took a job in Fredericksburg and have some of the same questions. Am moving from pittsburgh, PA and am 25 and single. Should I look more into the d.c. suburbs? Want opportunities to meet people, am into an occasional nightlife scene, more outdoor actitivities.

nsgjdennis- did you end up moving to downtown fredericksburg or go north. If so any advice? How was the traffic if you did decide north?

Old 04-26-2010, 07:10 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,102,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsk5 View Post
I know this was posted a while back but I recently took a job in Fredericksburg and have some of the same questions. Am moving from pittsburgh, PA and am 25 and single. Should I look more into the d.c. suburbs? Want opportunities to meet people, am into an occasional nightlife scene, more outdoor actitivities.

nsgjdennis- did you end up moving to downtown fredericksburg or go north. If so any advice? How was the traffic if you did decide north?
You may want to stick around downtown Fredericksburg. Otherwise, it is a long, long commute to any hot spots for 20somethings. Arlington is the "mecca", particularly the Clarendon and Ballston neighborhoods. But that is a commute better left for the weekends than the weekday. I'd suggest taking advantage of the rare opportunity here of lower rent and a convenient commute and look into downtown Fredericksburg.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,416 times
Fredericksburg is perfectly situated to become the Gay, Lesbian and Transgender Capital of the South. I encourage the Gay and Lesbian Community to buy buy buy and make it Gay Freddiesburg.

Right now there is an old Confederate cemetery there. Looks more like a gated prison holding the the sons and daughters of the Confederate in eternal damnation and hell.. BUT the surrounding area and the houses surrounding the cemetery are wonderful buildings to convert for use of gay based organizations and education centers. Great to see the Confederate flag replaced with the rainbow flag and the Jefferson Davis Hwy renamed to the Great Gay Way entry to Gay Freddiesburg.

This is not sarcasm or a dream. The Gay, Lesbian, Transgender coalition has serious plans for Fredricksburg's revival as the Gay Capital of the South.

JOIN US !!! We are here, committed and staying !!!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,502,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyCNY View Post
There are a multitude of bars downtown where UMW students frequent, and most of the college students are chicks, so its pretty easy to hook-up/date/whatever with single females while you're here, provided you have all your teeth and you're not a "Fredneck" or one of those shady ghetto-types that hang out at the Motor Inn.
So are VA Frednecks or MD Frednecks more backwards? :P

For what it's worth, UMW is 64% female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia