Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 PM
TPL

136 posts, read 317,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You know what, when I price the two Costco ends up being cheaper than BJs' even when you factor in the coupons. Costco is a good deal (except for tooth paste. I don't know why, but tooth paste and coca cola are the two things they charge too much for.

Best time to go to Costco in Sterling is before noon, or at 2:30. Sometimes I've been there during the 2:30-3:30 lull and had a cashier with nobody at all in line.
I heard that they stopped carrying Coke (At least for a while), because Coca-Cola was trying to fudge them over on the pricing, and Costco was tired of passing off the price increase onto the members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 PM

11 posts, read 26,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankdude View Post
BJ's takes manufacturer coupons, and Costco does not...

(The following opinion is based on my experiences in North Jersey. Your results may differ)

Costco does, however, mail out store coupons to its members, both in a booklet and its magazine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they arrive monthly and are good for two or three weeks. My local BJ's also has store coupons. You can get some in the store and I think they also mail a magazine. It is always less crowded than Costco and it has an express lane. Both stores also have rebates (Costco's are instant) and online-only bargains. There is no Sam's nearby for me to compare.

I have discovered some of the best bargains in items such as furniture, small appliances and, on occasion, DVDs and video games. As for the items N2P was interested in buying: If you have the space to store that large package of toilet paper and those other items for awhile, either store could save you money. When you find yourself throwing stuff away because you couldn't use it up before the expiration date, you know something has gone wrong.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datbird View Post
I live in KC and will likly be relocating to the Reston/Herndon area this year, I can't comment on location or BJ's for that matter (as we don't have those here in the midwest). From my experience tho the number one reason I love Costco is thier "Kirkland" generic brand. I always love the quality of the "Kirkland" household goods (TP, paper towels etc).

You got that right! Kirkland albacore tuna fish is excellent...worth the trip just for that if you like tuna.

My only gripe with Costco is the no credit card policy (except AMEX...but I had a big fight with them years ago and I don't do business with them, period). So, I have to remember to take a check when I'm going to Costco...

Old 01-13-2010, 06:48 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
My gripe is their meats tend to spoil very quickly. Also, check the dates because they just stack the products on top and you don't know how long the stuff has been on display.

BJ's is the only one of the three warehouse clubs that accepts credit cards. Both Sam's and Costco accept only cash, check, debit, and store-branded American Express charge.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:15 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
You got that right! Kirkland albacore tuna fish is excellent...worth the trip just for that if you like tuna....
Is it really? I love tuna, and I've never tried the Kirkland. I guess I just figured it was generic, so it would be second rate. I'll have to try it.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Is it really? I love tuna, and I've never tried the Kirkland. I guess I just figured it was generic, so it would be second rate. I'll have to try it.

Yeah, next to Kirkland tuna...Bumble Bee is cat food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia