Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 20,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hischild View Post
I have lived in shawneeland for 10 years and it is a nice place. I love the lake and the mountains. it is beautiful when the trees change and when it snows.They have a crew that works to plow the roads in the winter and takes care of the grounds year round.we just got a new playgound for the children making that 2 and a new mail house on the other side. It is fairly quiet and peaceful up here. people mind their own business and just throw up a hand when they see you out.
Who is your utility provider? electric and such??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 03:19 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda2010 View Post
Who is your utility provider? electric and such??
I don't live in Shawneeland but in downtown Winchester:

- Shenandoah Valley Electric Cooperative
- Washington Gas-Shenandoah Division
- water (City of Winchester)

Old 01-14-2011, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 10,258 times
We move to Shawneeland 6 months ago after renting for a year. We moved from MD for our jobs. We love it and have not had any problems. We love our neighbors and live right on the lake. My parents loved it and moved with us, so now we need more room. We have our house for sale and are hoping to contract on another house in Shawneeland that has more room. We have 3 beds, 2 full baths, finished basement, pool, shed , carport and our home is all brick and in good shape, so I have no complaints on this property. If you are looking for a nice community and fun for the kids (lake, beach, playground etc..) it is a nice area.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,258 times
Yes, utilities are Shenandoah electric (just bought from Allegany Power) and we have well water here. I have not had any problems with the water here. We have winchester wireless internet...much better than other service providers that I had before.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,879 times
We own property at the top of Great North Mountain just above Shawneeland. Our lot is gated so we have had no issues even though we only use it for camping and rock climbing a few times per year. Some of the sites we pass on the drive there are run down but many have been cleaned up in the past three years. The HOA group does actively enforce rules about road maintenance, hunting, site trash and reporting any issues early so they can be addressed. I would say in general people seem to keep mostly to themselves but do wave and stop if you look like you want to connect.
Our primary residence is in Fairfax County, VA so we are 90 minutes away from a beautiful part of nature and close to Winchester shopping and restaurants. Many government agencies have built facilities near 522 and apparently more are in design so demand in this region may increase in coming years. Land costs are relatively low in this area compared to surrounding communities.
I would agree that parts of community are quite sophisticated with state of the art hospital nearby but many parts still have a ways to go.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:12 AM

560 posts, read 1,291,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
Looked at it once years ago. It has it's own police substation... and I don't mean that in a good way. A friend's husband was on the Winchester police force at the time and he had some strong opinions about Shawneeland, none of them good. Trust me, you're going to want to pass on this one.

Things may have settled down in Shawneeland now?

Frederick County, VA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Frederick County - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalieCat View Post
Does anyone know anything about Shawneeland Subd. in Winchester/Frederick County?? Good or Bad, give it to me
My parents bought land in Shawneeland in 1969. We moved here full time in 1979. I myself have built a home up here also. I love this community. As in all communities there are the good and the not so good people. The lake/beach area is great and only for residents. We have a great time there in the summer. Roads are kept well maintained and in the winter time the roads in the development are cleared before the main roads alot of the time. Neighbors help each other out when needed. Highly recommend to anyone.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,614 times
I have lived here for 7 years and if the housing market was better and I could sell I would not waste a minute to get out of Shawnne Land. Its awful here!! The committee does not do things properly and let the whole development know whats going on nor do they do whats best for everyone in the development. Fees are constantly going up but you really do not see the benefits of it. Its a development where the in crowd makes decisions and the rest is just well S.O.L.. There has been alot of problem people to move in lately drinking and partying and playing loud music.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:38 PM

162 posts, read 358,937 times
I looked at Shawneeland in 2004 and was not impressed at all. We bought in Lake Holiday and loved it. We've since moved out of the area, but it was a beautiful place.

Shawneeland had some unpaved roads, dumpy houses, and that overall feel of being watched by your neighbor in the pick up truck flying a confederate flag.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:41 PM

689 posts, read 1,615,122 times
I don't live in Shawneeland, but I do follow the local fire and rescue, and it seems like there are a lot of calls in that area. We looked at a few houses labeled as Shawneeland and they were scary, as Rhett says. It is rural, and our counties are largely anti-zoning out here, so if you want to be able to do your own thing, that's the kind of place to look for. If you want your neighbors to have to abide by guidelines, look for one of the developments with a HOA, that still has larger properties. I am sure there are nice parts of Shawneeland, as some of these residents attest, but if you're moving in from afar, it might hard to pick the out before you rent/buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia