U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 04:47 PM

11 posts, read 33,824 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! We are buying a home in Rolling Valley in mid-February. We are coming from out of state and are looking for recommendations for best trash provider, Internet service provider, and TV (cable versus dish???) in this area. Also, need the gouge on best cell phone service and am also wanting to know if most people in this area still have traditional wired telephone service or have they gone cell-only? We've had rotten cell phone reception indoors in our last two homes so we've never taken the plunge. Thanks in advance, cheers, JYONDER
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 PM

380 posts, read 952,100 times
Okay, you will get a lot of feedback no doubt, but i know the area, for phone service, internet, and cable provider you have Cox or Verizon. Cox started out as a cable only company, that now has expanded to internet provider and home phone service. Verizon, as you likely know is formerly phone only, it has Fios lines now which provide cable like service and internet. Both are good, however, your home in Rolling Valley will already have a hook up available for Cox, it may or may not have anything from Verizon other than simple phone hook up. Most people who have either Cox or Verizon just get a bundle package where you get all three services(price is lower overall), for Cell phone service, Att, Verizon, and Sprint all operate around here with some additional lesser companies. I use Att(formerly with Cingular) and know others who do, phone service is good. As for Satellite service providers, i have some friends who have it, but since i had choice of a bundle package for three for one so to speak I stuck with the Cox plan.
I know many folks have gone to cell only, but as mentioned with the bundle service, the phone cost is the low.
For trash service, this seems to come and go. American and AAA both seem to be the dominant companies around area. I use AAA, which for awhile stunk, but now seems to be better.
Good luck in your new neighborhood, as said, I know the area of the 22152 zip code fairly well due to old friends who live in a neighborhood close to Rolling Valley actually. If you have further questions just send a message or post on the Northern Virginia site on this forum.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:03 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,870,711 times
For cable tv/internet/phone I have Cox. I'll probably switch to Verizon FiOS the next time Cox ticks me off. Those are the two big players here. Both are ridiculously expensive, but oh well...

I have Verizon Wireless for cell phone service. They claim to have the best coverage...but I use them because 90% of my friends also have Verizon and InNetwork calls are free...they all do that, so find out what provider your friends use. I still have a landline, but my cell works great in my house.

I have AAA for trash service. American is the new kid on the block and is undercutting AAA like AAA undercut BFI and Waste Management years ago. But naturally, when AAA succeeded in running the other guys out of business.....they raised their prices.

I think I would go with AAA because they are well established...but MAKE SURE you tell them to meet or beat American's price. They will, but only if you ask them. You can save a few bucks if you go for once a week pick-up rather than twice a week.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:55 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,690,598 times
Verizon is also my choice for phone. I have the cell phone and the absolute miniumum home service, $16.00. That doesn't get voice mail, caller id etc, but no one even has that number so I don't worry about it. It is just for 911 etc. I have Cox for internet/cable. Been fairly happy. Verizon came through with FIOS about 4 months after we moved in, haven't been tempted yet. You can check your street on their web page to see if you have it.

As for trash, we didn't get a choice, our HOA chooses, but we have American.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:03 PM

11 posts, read 33,824 times
Thanks again for all the info. We went with American for our trash and have been VERY happy thus far. We also got FIOS and so far it's been very spiffy as well and the bundled service costs about $75 a month less than it cost for bundled cable at our old address out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or