Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 08:34 AM

10 posts, read 38,696 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Can anyone provide advice on nice areas in nova to buy? I’m in my young 30’s so am not a fan of the Clarendon corridor. I fell in love with Fairlington, but am slowly realizing the unit/models I like are not in my price range. Other than these areas I have no idea about other communities, either inside, and more so outside, the beltway. My max price point is $385K, I need at least 1000sq ft, and would like to be near a metro, but don't have to be walking distance. I am single and new to the area so looking for a neighborhood that is conducive to meeting people that are not all married with kids, and I would prefer a town home. Condos feel too much like an apartment and I’m not savvy enough for the upkeep of a single family home. I would consider a single family home if the community was right. Thoughts, insights, comments are all appreciated! [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 AM

10 posts, read 28,281 times
There are many lovely areas to live in... but price will be an issue closer in to DC. I would suggest that you take some friends and go visit the areas and hang out in area attractions in Vienna, Oakton, Fairfax, Annandale and Falls Church... and decide if you like any one of them better than the rest. Any closer in, and homes will be more expensive.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM

515 posts, read 1,691,529 times
Many years ago (more like centuries) I dated a guy who owned a condo at Fairlington. The place had electric heat. It was so pricey he all but froze in the winter.

I wouldnt buy there unless something has been done to solve the problem.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:28 PM

Someone at work suggested Kingstown today. Does anyone have any feedback on this area?

Old 02-24-2009, 05:08 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
IMO Kingstowne is a safe if sterile community of condos and townhomes in the Alexandria section of Fairfax County (not Alexandria City). You will find all the upper-midscale shopping your heart desires. It's fairly convenient to the Van Dorn and Franconia/Springfield Metro stations but you would have to take a short bus ride to either of them. Although I don't know for sure, I'd wager that you'd find more singles or at least childless couples in condos there than the townhomes.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:09 PM

15,141 posts, read 27,756,930 times
Check into Cameron Station - a bus stop right outside the community will get you to the King Street Metro in about 10 mins. This is Alexandria City. Cameron Station looks lovely and is very well maintained.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely check out the suggested areas this weekend. One more question. Does anyone know anything about Pinecrest? It is off Little River Turnpike just past Braddock road and seems to have both single family and townhome options. It seemed nice, but I know how looks can be deceiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia