Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:55 AM

488 posts, read 1,746,994 times

Advertisements

I just pulled up my 2008 bills
my bill this time around last year was $207.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:55 AM

254 posts, read 790,222 times
I know exactly how you feel getting these sticker shock utility bills! We moved from TX last July in a less than 2000 sq.ft , 3 yr old house (unfinished basement-I don't know if that makes a difference as well). In Oct. , my gas bill jumped from $52 to $146 and then $287 and last month was $274 (we turned down the thermostat to 69). My electric was $174 and $128 (I think they bill every 2 mos). I bought a space heater and takes less time in the shower (I don't know if that makes a difference)! I called the gas company and they said it still might go up since winter lasts till April. I don't know where else to cut since I don't really want to lower the thermostat any longer for fear I will more than likely get sick due to the cold! Goodluck!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:03 AM

229 posts, read 744,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssb2000 View Post
exactly right! cold air was coming out of the vents. I'm pissed that i had the issue and now my bill is 600 but glad that it's resolved and hope that the price will go way down next month. we'll see :-) now i gotta find a way to have Dom power give me a break....somehow....

any ideas?
Since this is a new home, I would call the builder to complain.

Or, call the builder's HVAC company to complain.

They may not be able to give you cash, but they can extend your warranty.

When I had my new home built, the HVAC company "accidentally" installed an old unit that was used for a previous model home.

I knew that the unit was not new, as it looked beat up, so I called and complained and the HVAC company confirmed my suspicions.

So as not to have the builder liable or involved for their mistake, and for goodwill purposes, they extended my warranty from 1 year to 5 years, all parts and labor.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEIK View Post
Another amazing source of energy waste - water heaters.
Sitting there all day, keeping the temperature at whatever temp they are set to.

When my old one dies, I am getting an on demand unit.
On demand units don't work so well with large homes though, and require new piping and venting designs. It may take many many years to recoup your investment.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I could care less if people think I am cheeapo, I am the one who writes that check every month to Dominion.

I knew a guy who installed an on/off switch on his water heater. He would go to work and turn it off, and on upon return. I guess that saved some $.

I still think that electrical heat is still the safer way to go.
There's already an "on-off" switch at the breaker box. Usually, it has a dedicated breaker switch.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I just pulled up my 2008 bills
my bill this time around last year was $207.
I don't think it was as cold last season though. Just these past two weeks, we've had temperatures in the single digits to teens.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 AM

106 posts, read 490,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankdude View Post
Since this is a new home, I would call the builder to complain.

Or, call the builder's HVAC company to complain.

They may not be able to give you cash, but they can extend your warranty.

When I had my new home built, the HVAC company "accidentally" installed an old unit that was used for a previous model home.

I knew that the unit was not new, as it looked beat up, so I called and complained and the HVAC company confirmed my suspicions.

So as not to have the builder liable or involved for their mistake, and for goodwill purposes, they extended my warranty from 1 year to 5 years, all parts and labor.
True but it's not a 'brand new house'. i meant that we had moved to a new place as in 'our new place'.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:13 AM

488 posts, read 1,746,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankdude View Post
On demand units don't work so well with large homes though, and require new piping and venting designs. It may take many many years to recoup your investment.
venting is required for electrical models?

I dont have gas.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 AM

1,266 posts, read 5,612,649 times
24 year old house could explain it.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 AM

106 posts, read 490,541 times
Quote:
venting is required for electrical models?

I dont have gas.
Veik,
we're ALL glad 'you don't have gas'!
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: