U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,952,779 times

Advertisements

Here's the information. Other counties would have the relevant info on their sites:

Finishing Basements: A Homeowners GuideĀ* (http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=683 - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 PM

106 posts, read 433,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Here's the information. Other counties would have the relevant info on their sites:

Finishing Basements: A Homeowners GuideĀ* (http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=683 - broken link)

thanks for that. We had gone to the site a few weeks ago when she decided to really consider the finishing of the basement.

there seems to be multiple permits required for finishing the basement.....one for the building permit, one for electrical, one for mechanical, and one for plumbing....each carrying a 1% of the construction cost ($65 minimum)

so....at the least, it'll be 65x4 = $260

then, the value of the house will go up on paper....which means that they'll tax her on top of the appraised value right now....

anyone know how much the addition of a basement will mean to the county on paper? (how much additional tax for a 1000 sq. ft. finished basement?)

seems like the drawing can be a generic one...hand drawn by the owner....which should save some money.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:41 PM

52 posts, read 184,743 times
[quote=sssb2000;7327121]there seems to be multiple permits required for finishing the basement.....one for the building permit, one for electrical, one for mechanical, and one for plumbing....each carrying a 1% of the construction cost ($65 minimum)

Not exactly; see details below, copied from Loudoun County website.

If you improve the value of your property, yes, the property tax may rise as a reflection of having improved the value of your property. What's so strange or contemptible about that? Why such extreme efforts to skirt doing the right thing -- a thing that benefits your friend now and in the long-term, but for which the two of you seem hell-bent on not doing?

http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=683

Cost of Permits

[LEFT]Building permit fees are based on one percent of the construction cost, not including electrical, mechanical, plumbing and gas, with a $65 (sixty-five) minimum.[/LEFT]
After the building permit is issued, separate electrical, mechanical, plumbing and gas permits can be issued. Separate fees will be charged for each of these permits, based on the equipment listed on the permit applications.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW333 View Post
Not exactly; see details below, copied from Loudoun County website.
what do you mean "Not exactly"? the information you posted is what i read and was referring to.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:49 AM

52 posts, read 184,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssb2000 View Post
what do you mean "Not exactly"? the information you posted is what i read and was referring to.
See the part of the quote I placed in italics.

The (main) building permit is not charged at 1% of the total, but $65 (min.) or 1% of the total LESS the separate costs for the mechanical, electrical, plumbing -- the trades that may require separate permits, with those separate, ancillary permits are charged on a different scale. So it's not 1% of the total construction cost for each permit; it's not even 1% of the construction cost for the (main) building permit -- if it includes electrical, mechanical, plumbing components.

You inflate the costs to your "friend" -- in terms of dollars and in government "intrusion" -- while overlooking the benefits, financial and otherwise, of improvement.

Is your "friend" sheathing her basement rehab in 24K gold bricks? It's just a building permit, an easy process that many have navigated successfully and without incidenct, and which provides (besides a trickle of income to the county government) clear benefits to the applicant. It wouldn't seem a case for getting all Theodore Kacacynzki-ish about perceived government plots and draining of personal wealth.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW333 View Post
See the part of the quote I placed in italics.

The (main) building permit is not charged at 1% of the total, but $65 (min.) or 1% of the total LESS the separate costs for the mechanical, electrical, plumbing -- the trades that may require separate permits, with those separate, ancillary permits are charged on a different scale. So it's not 1% of the total construction cost for each permit; it's not even 1% of the construction cost for the (main) building permit -- if it includes electrical, mechanical, plumbing components.

You inflate the costs to your "friend" -- in terms of dollars and in government "intrusion" -- while overlooking the benefits, financial and otherwise, of improvement.

Is your "friend" sheathing her basement rehab in 24K gold bricks? It's just a building permit, an easy process that many have navigated successfully and without incidenct, and which provides (besides a trickle of income to the county government) clear benefits to the applicant. It wouldn't seem a case for getting all Theodore Kacacynzki-ish about perceived government plots and draining of personal wealth.
Are you finished with your "Rant"?
as i said, and as the site suggests, you need a building permit (minimum cost is $65), then you need 3 additional permits for elec./plumb/mech. , each carrying a minimum cost of $65. so.....as i simply put it up top....it's a min. cost of 65 multiplied by 4.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:52 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,045,238 times
I think we all don't understand why your "friend" is being cheap on doing what's right.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
I think we all don't understand why your "friend" is being cheap on doing what's right.
Alot of people don't get a permit when finishing a basement.
this is a fact. right or wrong....this is a fact.

this thread (maybe the title could have been better) was intended as a way to see the PROs and CONs of obtaining a permit.
There is no need for hostility, rudeness, rants, etc.
No law has been broken, no job has started, no decision has been made by my friend, etc.
She simply asked me about my opinion on this matter and before answering her without doing my homework, i figured i see what other people thought. and here we are.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,952,779 times
A lot of people cheat, right up to and including presidential nominees. Doesn't mean that it's right or that they will not end up with problems because of it. But if law and ethics are not persuasive, maybe the fact that her homeowners insurance company will deny any claim she might need to file if something goes wrong in the basement (or may revoke her coverage altogether). for example, we all read in the paper sometimes about fires being caused because of electrical malfunctions. A church in our area burned to the ground several years ago because of a wiring malfunction. (It still hasn't been rebuilt.) If the electrical work was not permitted, the insurance company can and will deny the claim.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
A lot of people cheat, right up to and including presidential nominees. Doesn't mean that it's right or that they will not end up with problems because of it. But if law and ethics are not persuasive, maybe the fact that her homeowners insurance company will deny any claim she might need to file if something goes wrong in the basement (or may revoke her coverage altogether). for example, we all read in the paper sometimes about fires being caused because of electrical malfunctions. A church in our area burned to the ground several years ago because of a wiring malfunction. (It still hasn't been rebuilt.) If the electrical work was not permitted, the insurance company can and will deny the claim.
Thanks.
I see.

Last edited by sssb2000; 02-05-2009 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or