U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:25 AM

3,901 posts, read 5,347,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
yes!!

Good! My husband always thought I was nuts that they would have real monkeys in a store (I think the children's shoe department?) and no one else seems to remember them. I used to love to go there but I think I was about seven when they were removed. I was starting to think I'd imagined them.

Thanks for the confirmation!

P.S. I remember lots of things -- Are you Toody or Muldoon?

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 01-12-2010 at 04:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:18 AM

437 posts, read 1,072,996 times
I was born at Children's in DC and lived in Bowie for most of the '70s.

My family moved to Sterling from Maryland when I was 7. Sterling's changed a little bit! We had a paper route that went through all the farms and country roads where "Potomac Falls" and Ashburn have been planted. I used to play with friends at their houses on acres of land that are now packed with townhouses. It's still a bit sad for me to drive through that area now and remember all that beautiful country that's now been paved over. Sterling was really the end of civilization when I lived there! That's progress I guess.

I remember playing youth soccer games at Algonkian and on the NOVA fields - I went by Algonkian a few years ago and they're still playing soccer there (the fields are much improved though!). Tyson's was just one level and not a very big mall. I used to get toys at the Korvette's store there...

I loved the wild animal park that was on Hunter Mill Rd. which stretched across Baron Cameron by Rt. 7, it was so cool to be driving along Rt. 7 and see gazelles and wildebeest and bison hanging out in the fields there.

When I was ten we moved to West Springfield. If we wanted to go in to DC on the weekend you had to hoof it to Springfield Plaza to catch the bus to Huntington. So getting downtown was a 2-3 hour project minimum (each way) on the weekend. In the mid-80's when I worked in DC on weeknights, you had to catch the 10:20pm bus to Springfield from the Pentagon or you were SOL - you weren't going to get anywhere close to Springfield any other way on Metro. When I hear people complaining about the inadequacies of public transit now, it's pretty amusing to me considering how expanded the system has become since the early '80s.

I do not consider myself particularly southern though, more a Washingtonian than anything else.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,793,312 times
Wow, an aviary? Monkeys? That's so cool, I wish they still had things like that.

Why did they take it down? Was there a health issue? Did the monkeys escape and cause havoc in the shoe department?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:20 AM

3,901 posts, read 5,347,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Wow, an aviary? Monkeys? That's so cool, I wish they still had things like that.

Why did they take it down? Was there a health issue? Did the monkeys escape and cause havoc in the shoe department?
This was late 1950s/early 60s before political correctness and PETA when Washington was still a small, yes Southern, city. Before that last comment starts arguments, yes, Washington was once a small, sleepy Southern city, especially in the summer before air-conditioning and Congress split out of town because of the humidity.

The monkeys were behind a glass case that, from my 6 year old mind, was HUGE! I recall about five of them--chimpanzees, I think, with trees and toys for them. Great fun while getting new shoes.

I don't remember ever hearing about the monkeys getting loose but I was quite young. Seriously, I was starting to think I had imagined them until Car 54 confirmed it!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,855,154 times
I don't go as far back as the dirt roads, but I can remember when there was only one traffic light between Tysons and Leesburg. And the big joke when I was in grade school was that Reston was "far-out" (in more ways than one).

Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM

421 posts, read 819,711 times
Does anyone remember the Ranch House restaurants? I loved their pattymelt and Key Lime pie.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 PM

845 posts, read 2,068,804 times
There was a Ranch House in Springfield near the Bus Station, on Backlick Rd.. I think it passed in about 1982. Gus Broiler was there for decades in that same area. I really liked Tom Weston's in Annandale--very good steak and cold beer. The Ranch House had formerly been the Charter House. We liked Hot Shoppes, better.

Last edited by adolpho; 01-12-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 09:13 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,871,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
This was late 1950s/early 60s before political correctness and PETA when Washington was still a small, yes Southern, city. Before that last comment starts arguments, yes, Washington was once a small, sleepy Southern city, especially in the summer before air-conditioning and Congress split out of town because of the humidity.

The monkeys were behind a glass case that, from my 6 year old mind, was HUGE! I recall about five of them--chimpanzees, I think, with trees and toys for them. Great fun while getting new shoes.

I don't remember ever hearing about the monkeys getting loose but I was quite young. Seriously, I was starting to think I had imagined them until Car 54 confirmed it!

I never liked that the monkey cage was glass! But I guess they had to....kids would have been sticking their fingers in there or getting poop thrown at them.

I don't remember much about it...like what department and so on. But my sister and I made a beeline for the monkeys whenever mom dragged us to that store. They weren't chimpanzees....they were much smaller. Chimps can get to be 200 lbs and they'd have busted out of there! I'm guessing, but I'd say the were capuchins (sp?)...aka organ grinder monkeys.

Toody or Muldoon? Nahhh, more like Schnauzer, LOL

Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,871,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
There was a Ranch House in Springfield near the Bus Station, on Backlick Rd.. I think it passed in about 1982. Gus Broiler was there for decades in that same area. I really liked Tom Weston's in Annandale--very good steak and cold beer. The Ranch House had formerly been the Charter House. We liked Hot Shoppes, better.

Which Tom Weston's? I liked the original...the one across Columbia Pike from Three Chefs, where Sunset Grill is now.

It wasn't the same after Tom got all fancy and moved next to K-Mart!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 PM

895 posts, read 1,326,608 times
Default andrew's chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
My grandfather was born in 1862 on a little farm near what is now Wolf Trap. I have many relatives buried in the little Andrew Chapel Methodist Cemetery on Route 7. My father, born at home on Route 7 in 1908, loved to tell stories of horse-drawn wagons on dirt Route 7 and playing in the fields near Difficult Run. He died in 1984 and certainly wouldn't recognize Route 7 now!
my former father in law is buried in the cemetary at Andrew's Chapel as well. And three of my kids went to pre-school there... but your grandfather has me beat on the longevity of being a NOVAN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or