Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 AM

30 posts, read 78,949 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg.com: Real Estate

I don't know what to make of this. On one hand, this would be excellent for this region of NOVA, because this would bring all types of high profile golfing events, as well as some publicity, but on the other hand, this could bring some difficulty and price hikes to this region. I live in Lowes Island, so I'm interested to see how they develop the club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 01:01 PM

15 posts, read 72,119 times
samy316, I can relate to your mixed feelings. I think that this news can only be good for "LI" house values but with the Donald at the helm, but it's less likely (for me at least) that membership to the LI club will be within the realm of possibility. Also, I assume the neighborhood and elementary school will keep the name Lowes Island and the designation of Potomac Falls, correct? I just wasn't sure what the surrounding neighborhood will be referred to now that it's "Trump National Golf Club, Washington, DC" and no longer Lowes Island.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:13 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Trump said this in the article:

“It’s 20 minutes away from the Capitol, and the capital is the only city that’s booming today because of the fact that the government is going to own everything pretty soon,” Trump said. “I like them because they’re the closest courses to DC and the only courses that front the Potomac River.”

In what world is LI 20 minutes from the Capitol? Maybe by helicopter?

Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,195 times
I also live in Lowes Island and last time I looked it was in Virginia. To name it after himself and then say it is in Washington, D.C. is beyond arrogant. His photo should be in the dictionary as a definition of chutzpah, and I don't mean that in an admiring way.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:40 AM

488 posts, read 1,746,994 times
Why wont he buy entire Sterling park.....urh

Old 02-19-2009, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 72,119 times
Not to defend the guy (his arrogance is staggering) but I think all of his golf clubs are named: "Trump National Golf Club" comma the general name of the locale. Pretty much everything he owns has the name Trump attached to it; that appears his way of branding. But 20 minutes is quite a stretch - it's more than 20 miles!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 PM

482 posts, read 1,372,062 times
Hopefull, the greens will look better than his hairpiece.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:54 AM

43 posts, read 138,928 times
hmm more debt for him lol didn't he just file bankruptcy again?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:36 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxville_girl View Post
I think that this news can only be good for "LI" house values but with the Donald at the helm, but it's less likely (for me at least) that membership to the LI club will be within the realm of possibility.
I definitely agree it's good news for home values.

Lowes Island had been holding it's value very well, but when the golf course went up for sale last summer I was concerned. I was worried it could just be abandoned, and that could lead to foreclosure signs in the neighborhood, increased crime (and abandoned country club draws vandals), etc.

Trump doesn't buy golf courses in declining neighborhoods. By buying this course, he's put a stamp of approval on the area's economic health. So now people who have a pick of homes will be more attracted to LI, feeling secure that a home there will hold its value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxville_girl View Post
Also, I assume the neighborhood and elementary school will keep the name Lowes Island and the designation of Potomac Falls, correct? I just wasn't sure what the surrounding neighborhood will be referred to now that it's "Trump National Golf Club, Washington, DC" and no longer Lowes Island.
LOL, nope, you won't see the entrance sign changed to say "Trumpville." Lowes Island Blvd., the school, and the neighborhood were there before the country club.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:51 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Trump doesn't buy golf courses in declining neighborhoods. By buying this course, he's put a stamp of approval on the area's economic health. So now people who have a pick of homes will be more attracted to LI, feeling secure that a home there will hold its value.
I lived near another Trump course, and whatever you may think of him as a person, there are certain benefits to your neighborhood.

1. Jobs in landscaping/construction, and more summer jobs for teens. Trump likes lavish country clubs, which means he's going to be employing quite a few workers for the next two years.

2. Boost to local shopping, especially the Great Falls Plaza. The two vacant stores are now likely to find tenants. After all, the news club will attract visitors (especially when celebrities are in town) and the visitors will want to get something to eat. Good news for Pomo Grille, Gourmet Inn, Velocity 5, and that sushi place.

3. Local churches often see nice donations on game day. Golfers families are often religious or superstitious, and they tend to leave nice donations as a way to bring luck. Good news for Our Lady of Hope and other local churches.

4. Animal boarding facilities will get more business. Some golfers apparently think having a pet with them is lucky (or maybe calming?). Anyway, the Animal Medical Clinic will get more business.

5. Home buyers trying to choose between Fairfax/Loudoun will be attracted to the neighborhood. And that means more tax dollars for Loudoun County. And the new country club will be paying taxes, too.

6. Trump will probably strike a deal with Legum & Norman to make the landscaping along Lowes Island Blvd. medians a little more upscale. A benefit to the neighborhood, with Trump likely bearing most of the cost. And any graffiti will be cleaned up immediately. The police are likely to show a little more interest in the neighborhood, too. As a homeowner, I think that's a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia