U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 12:26 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,270,728 times

Advertisements

Is your immediate neighbor in foreclosure?

Mine is. In August I saw the family start moving some stuff and I didn't really think about it. Then I didn't see the school age kids running around anymore. Then I barely saw the husband and wife, but I would see one of their cars parked out front. Eventually I didn't see anyone at the property anymore. So their grass started to get overgrown. I started to mow their part of the lawn that I could reach (my mower is electric and needs to be plugged in) and a neighbor down the street would mow the other half. Thankfully it was near the fall so I didn't have to keep mowing it for so long, but it doesn't look like it'll sell by spring. I'd also collect the newspapers that were left on their driveway, just anything to keep the house from looking uninhabitated. I recently noticed their was an eviction letter taped to their door (Yes I was being snoopy). I can only imagine what the basement looks like. If the heat hasn't been on all winter I wonder if the pipes burst.

There is also a house a few houses down that is now empty. I don't think it's foreclosed on, just being rented out. A lady driving in a car stopped me while I was walking my dog. She was asking about the neighborhood because she was thinking of renting the house.

Anyone else's neighbor in trouble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 01:14 PM

280 posts, read 913,405 times
Sorry about your neighbor!

Mine was . . . and then a really great couple moved in . . . and then my house (as in, the one I was renting) foreclosed too, so I don't live there anymore and became "novahousehunter."

That neighborhood was built in 2005 - 2006 and as such everyone was upside-down in their houses by 2008. I am not exaggerating in saying that 1/3+ of the houses turned over in 2008--our whole street was full of for sale signs.

I never knew what to think. On the one hand, we probably had more sub-prime mortgage holders before, and they were bringing in (sometimes a lot of) renters to try to hang onto the place, which is never good. On the other, now the houses are worth 1/3 - 1/2 of what they originally sold for, making it a cheap neighborhood compared to the past.

It will be interesting to see what happens down the road to the character of these neighborhoods that are mostly turning over. I've heard both positive and negative predictions.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:48 AM

67 posts, read 225,223 times
My street seems to be fine, but a couple streets over we had a few foreclosures/abandoned houses. The neighborhood newsletter keeps reiterating not to provide basic maintenance on empty houses (ie, don't cut the grass). Once it gets over a certain height (12" I think in Fairfax Co?) a complaint can be made and someone from the county will come out and cut the grass, leaving a bill taped to the door. If these are foreclosed properties, the bank, in theory, will act more quickly if it keeps getting bills for lawn mowings.

We started having a game of "spot the green bill" as we drove around the area. Now it's a waiting game to see if those properties ever get sold. One that I know of has been empty since June.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,270,728 times
PWC has that same program where they cut the grass if it gets over a certain height. My street dead ends near a shopping center and people cut through to get to it so there is a lot of foot traffic. I don't want people to see the obvious signs of a distressed property and get any ideas of vandalism in their heads.

To be honest, I don't think the banks COULD move fast if they WANTED to right now. No amount of prodding or poking is going to change that.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:11 AM

931 posts, read 3,470,346 times
You can always tell when people aren't paying their mortgage...

That would be the very first thing I would pay.

Screw electricity. I'd put some candles in the windows. Neighbors might think it's romantic, and probably wouldn't think you can't pay your electric bill.

Then I'd turn off my water, join a local gym and take my showers there and hang out there in the heat if it's cold outside.

Less embarrassment...

Old 02-22-2009, 09:43 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,901,514 times
Not all foreclosures are empty with tall grass.

My guess is that most are occupied by the people losing them. Many For Sale signs don't give a clue as to the reason for the sale.

Look at the MLS listing at sites like this: Home Search: Select County

If it says "third party approval required".....they're losing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia