Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:39 AM

488 posts, read 1,746,244 times

Advertisements

I would concentrate less on who/what surrounds me, and more on my own life.
Life is more interesting than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I consider myself a native of NOVA. The problem is I never fit in with either the yuppy transplants or some of the more hick-ish people of Loudoun County. We were Richmonders. But I did grow up in Loudoun County. It was hard for me to find my demographic. Native Virginian, but not really relating to the NOVA culture.
I've sort of had the same relationship as you've had, only with Marylanders. As for the patterns, the four groups of people I see to commonly encounter are

-The elitist snobs (usually from Potomac or somewhere in MoCo)
-The Afrocetric and outright ghetto people of PG County (although I have ran into blacks from B-More that I would hardly consider ghetto)
-The good-ol-boy racist hicks from either Southern MD, the Delmarva, or from the Panhandle
-The others who seem normal but take arrogance and cliquishness to a new level

I guess this is the reason why I refuse to live in MD after I graduate. But as for people in Northern VA, particularly the young post-college population I'll end up interacting with the most, I just want to know from those who are, or have faced this scenario.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 PM

269 posts, read 1,001,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I've sort of had the same relationship as you've had, only with Marylanders. As for the patterns, the four groups of people I see to commonly encounter are

-The elitist snobs (usually from Potomac or somewhere in MoCo)
-The Afrocetric and outright ghetto people of PG County (although I have ran into blacks from B-More that I would hardly consider ghetto)
-The good-ol-boy racist hicks from either Southern MD, the Delmarva, or from the Panhandle
-The others who seem normal but take arrogance and cliquishness to a new level

I guess this is the reason why I refuse to live in MD after I graduate. But as for people in Northern VA, particularly the young post-college population I'll end up interacting with the most, I just want to know from those who are, or have faced this scenario.

I take OFFENSE to your statement regarding the residents of Prince George's County! Where at in PG County have you visited and what behavior did you witness that was so-called "ghetto"?! You're just pulling these lies out of the air, based on negative racial stereotypes, because if you ever truly visited the areas where I live all you'd find are quiet middle-class neighborhoods with mostly African-American families. The median income of the county is higher than the National Average for crissakes!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:38 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapov View Post
I take OFFENSE to your statement regarding the residents of Prince George's County! Where at in PG County have you visited and what behavior did you witness that was so-called "ghetto"?! You're just pulling these lies out of the air, based on negative racial stereotypes, because if you ever truly visited the areas where I live all you'd find are quiet middle-class neighborhoods with mostly African-American families. The median income of the county is higher than the National Average for crissakes!
It may be a generalization, but it's based on personal experience of living there for years and dealing with peers getting on my ass every day for not being "black enough," something that I've had more than enough of for a lifetime! And please try not to pinpoint the Afrocentric attitudes to just inside the beltway. When I attended the PG public school system, I ran into a lot of "hood posers" who came from places like Largo, Upper Marlboro, and the like. The only middle class blacks I've really came across are those who particularly live in isolated communities like Woodmore. But despite their success and demeanor, they're plenty of offspring from middle-class homes that try to put on the "ghetto act." And as for the young blacks who act like they're actually from middle-class homes, many of them tend to go to private schools.

Between having no solidarity with "my own" along with the very cliquish, anal, and racially-excluding whites and other minorities I've dealt with while in MD, I've just about had it with the state in general, so don't feel as if I'm just picking on PG County.

Which goes back to what I'm looking for in Northern VA, which is basically the opposite of my experiences in Maryland AND has people of my age group. I know Northern VA is known to be progressive, but many of the places I've seen that are modern, integrated, open-minded, and laid back (at least compared to DC) are more family-oriented areas.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:53 PM

142 posts, read 567,296 times
Quote:
Skapov, just because an area has a higher average income than the national average does not mean it is a nice community. As an Asian-American myself, my child has made some great friends of all ethnicities and races, including many African-Americans. However, I have witnessed, and my child has directly witnessed and has been harassed, by a large number of African American "middle-class" children. I live in the Alexandria portion of Fairfax County, and there are plenty of African-American children here, some who claim to have relocated from PG County, who live in $700k homes and whose well-educated parents drive Lexus LS460s and Mercedes S550s, yet the kids act like absolute TRASH. They imitate the ghetto life by joining poseur gangs and harass others for "acting white." One of my child's African-American friends ranted to him after an incident in the lunch line about how disgusted she was of African-American children who have an attitude and sense of entitlement blown way out of proportion. I don't care if you become angry at me for this. Sorry for the rant, but I am absolutely sick of this attitude that I have personally witnessed in the young suburban African American and other minority communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia