Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,294,150 times

Advertisements

rpmhigh, it's not the taxpayers fault you made such a huge mistake. Next time "think" before going out and purchasing a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 10:40 AM

4,364 posts, read 8,044,798 times
You all do not know the circumstances of why the OP cannot afford the house any longer. Job loss? Disability? Or are the rates resetting? Who knows. They are looking for a solution, not to be judged by the masses.

Like what was suggested, the only way not to ruin your credit is to somehow keep paying for the house. Maybe rent out a room or two. Get a second job.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 AM

280 posts, read 1,068,584 times
When you consider the tax savings based on writing off the interest, a $2600 mortgage payment is only around $1800-1900 monthly out of pocket for housing. That is about the cost to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in our area. Not by any means extravagant, but again, depends on the income level.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:11 PM

865 posts, read 2,094,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novamom06 View Post
When you consider the tax savings based on writing off the interest, a $2600 mortgage payment is only around $1800-1900 monthly out of pocket for housing. That is about the cost to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in our area. Not by any means extravagant, but again, depends on the income level.
Sorry, but the income tax savings is frequently more than offset by the maintenance, repair, and property tax expenses that are required of purchases but not rentals. Purchasing a home has many advantages, but this is a distorted view.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 PM

367 posts, read 1,020,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEIK View Post
2600 is not a lot for DC area.

2600 a month will barely get you a 400K house.
WOW! I had no idea it'd be that much. but then, we got offered a mortgage and when we saw $1700 mortgage payments, we patted the lender on the head and said no thanks. no way we can afford that, even with good salaries and we saw the way the economy was going and knew that if we bought that house that we'd be in trouble.
it is the fault of both sides. but the banks were in it for the money and now that they don't have any, we taxpayers have to pay our rent plus theirs. that's not fair.
but you know, when i say it is both sides fault, i'm not sure about that. people think they can afford something when a bank tells them they can and the person making commission sure didn't say they couldn't afford it either.

I have no suggestions but if your credit is going down, i'd opt for bankrupcy. at least you can reorganize and get on your feet.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,838,591 times
I'd call as many lenders as I could, try to get a 40 year mortgage to extend the payment out longer.
yes, you will owe far more than the house is worth for quite a few years but your credit will remain intact etc... when the economy picks up (and it will in a few years) the housing market will too. Remeber the lavish 80's followed the despirate 70's.

TONS of people are in upside mortgages right now or have been in the last few years and are not just walking away from the house. There are lots of companies out there working to save peoples houses etc...

It's really irks me to see people just stop making payments alltogether etc... I OWNED a house that steadily depricited the entire 2 years we lived in VA...we saved like crazy because we knew we were going to have buy ourselves out of the loan.
Is the govt going to reward me for NOT forclosing? I lost 95k, I pay my taxes etc... I sure would like a TAX break re-coup on the money I lost. etc...

NO, we don't know the circumstances of why she can no longer afford her home....

But since the majority of people foreclosing are ones who bought houses with no so great credit and little to NO money down etc... They do need to take some personal responsiblity.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:33 PM

488 posts, read 1,739,493 times
It all depends on how much you make.
A lot of people make good $$$ in this area.
400K is not a big house, and in some areas is barely a TH (arlington....)

Old 02-20-2009, 12:36 PM

488 posts, read 1,739,493 times
Yup, people are upside down.
And they are walking away.
Life does not end with foreclosure.

F....just rent for a few years.
If you got a car thats paid off, you can live with bad credit for a LONG time.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 PM

281 posts, read 1,004,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
WOW! I had no idea it'd be that much. but then, we got offered a mortgage and when we saw $1700 mortgage payments, we patted the lender on the head and said no thanks. no way we can afford that, even with good salaries and we saw the way the economy was going and knew that if we bought that house that we'd be in trouble.
it is the fault of both sides. but the banks were in it for the money and now that they don't have any, we taxpayers have to pay our rent plus theirs. that's not fair.
but you know, when i say it is both sides fault, i'm not sure about that. people think they can afford something when a bank tells them they can and the person making commission sure didn't say they couldn't afford it either.

I have no suggestions but if your credit is going down, i'd opt for bankrupcy. at least you can reorganize and get on your feet.
It really irks me when people complain about "their" taxes paying to help someone else out. Give me a break. What about taxpayer dollars going towards city-run food banks? Or homeless shelters? Is it fair that we pay for their food in addition to ours? Sheesh. Whatever happened to just helping out those in need? You have to pay taxes anyway, and it's not as though the government is requiring us to pay an additional amount.

Taxes are paid so that the government has money to better the country, not individuals. Helping out people who have fallen on hard times or made some bad decisions and who may lose their homes DOES better the country. Can you imagine what would happen to the country on a whole if no help is given to people like rpmhigh?

Old 02-20-2009, 01:36 PM

280 posts, read 1,068,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
Sorry, but the income tax savings is frequently more than offset by the maintenance, repair, and property tax expenses that are required of purchases but not rentals. Purchasing a home has many advantages, but this is a distorted view.
I hear your point, but you also didn't mention the other benefits to owning like paying down your principal and building equity. Which WILL happen again. Statistically homeownership comes out ahead. If you are in it for the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia