U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2009, 10:33 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,282,874 times

Advertisements

I dont know because people ask me all the time where I am from. They are a little surprised when I tell them Loudoun County. I mean, old timers have somewhat of a Southern accent there, but most people under 40 sound like Californians or some place non-Southern.

Most people think I am from Southside Virginia or sometimes even South Carolina!

I did spend most of my early summers with my relatives from Richmond and Tidewater. My mother is from Richmond. My dad is from Ohio, but lived in Kentucky for a short time.

I dont know, but people tell me I sound like Robert E. Lee, lol

I went to school in Sterling and Leesburg and Purcellville. I am under 30

Is this unusual?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 06:28 AM

2,547 posts, read 5,176,026 times
I don't think it's unusual. I work with people who are native to Vienna and PWC, and have a "southern accent". I always point out to them which words they say funny like Window sounds like Winda , and you all is pronounced y'all.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:32 AM

78 posts, read 197,117 times
Doesn't sound unusual to me. Plus your parents play a role in your speech/accent as well. Growing up my family lived in Europe for many years, then the west coast before we moved back to Virginia 20 years ago. Now I have never lived in North Carolina but that is where my Mom was born and raised, so it doesn't matter that I lived in Europe, the West Coast and the East Coast because I grew up with my Mom "hollering" Ya'll come in for dinner, so that's what I learned.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:19 PM

Oh I see. Its just that I am under 30. But most people my age from Loudoun did not have a southern accent- let alone Virginia accent. They were mostly like California types, or NY/NJ. This was mostly true in Sterling.

Although out in Philomont and Purcelllville they were more Southern. But that was more country out there.

My accent is pretty thick for being from NOVA, though.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:44 PM

2,439 posts, read 3,828,440 times
I very seldom run into people in NOVA with a real Virginia accent. I like the Virginia accent actually. It's not as thick (the ones I've heard anyways) as the accents in the Carolinas/Kentucky/Tennesse/Mississippi.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:12 PM

78 posts, read 197,117 times
Quote:
Oh I see. Its just that I am under 30. But most people my age from Loudoun did not have a southern accent- let alone Virginia accent. They were mostly like California types, or NY/NJ.
Well the best thing to do is enjoy being "different"! "Normal" is highly overrated!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 AM

24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
How do we - or they rather - know exactly how Robert E. Lee sounded, lol...anyway, no, especially Richmond, where the accent is extremely pronounced. It is, after all, the most southern place in the entire United States and indeed the Universe!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How do we - or they rather - know exactly how Robert E. Lee sounded, lol...anyway, no, especially Richmond, where the accent is extremely pronounced. It is, after all, the most southern place in the entire United States and indeed the Universe!
LOL. I dont know if Richmond is "the most southern"- its pretty Southern though.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 PM

80 posts, read 79,871 times
Ive lived in arlington pretty much my whole life and I speak with somewhat of a southern twang. I have always been made fun of for it. So I can see where you would get yours. Cause I myself have family from the south as well as WV.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:28 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,979,891 times
I just moved to Loudoun County from CT and I'm astounded by how strong the accent is out where we are in Round Hill. Granted many of the people I'm interacting with are from the "country" not closer in, but it is interesting. My husband works in Herndon and he says he never hears an accent until he comes home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia