Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 11:35 AM

34 posts, read 102,243 times

Advertisements

I am curious if anyone has attended any of the NOVA job fairs being held by different districts and what your experience has been. I know Fairfax, Stafford, and Loudoun will be or have already had job fairs for next school year.

If you attended, please post about your experience and what sort of impression you got as far as what sort of jobs may be available for next year. I would like to know whether they were actually signing contracts (as the websites indicated) before I spend a lot of $$$ on tickets, hotel, rental car, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 PM

19 posts, read 56,750 times
Hi! I'm going to PM you about my experience!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:17 PM

247 posts, read 688,019 times
The Arlington job fair is Saturday March 28. I can't speak to early contracts, but our enrollment is projected to increase, so we will definitely be hiring teachers.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:20 AM

73 posts, read 248,467 times
We have heard that they are trying not to hire new teachers to replace those who quit or retire. They are planning to use teachers who are distaffed at other schools to replace them. We have been told that many teachers will be distaffed and they will get first shot at the openings at other schools. Then if there are any openings, perhaps they will fill them. Class sizes will be huge whatever the state's maximum is -- that will be the class sizes. We are projected to have over 1200 new students next year!

Old 03-02-2009, 09:24 AM

34 posts, read 102,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTnest View Post
We have heard that they are trying not to hire new teachers to replace those who quit or retire. They are planning to use teachers who are distaffed at other schools to replace them. We have been told that many teachers will be distaffed and they will get first shot at the openings at other schools. Then if there are any openings, perhaps they will fill them. Class sizes will be huge whatever the state's maximum is -- that will be the class sizes. We are projected to have over 1200 new students next year!
EMTnest, which district are you referring to?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:27 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
I think Fairfax is looking at an increase of 5,000 students.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 AM

56 posts, read 206,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTnest View Post
I would for Prince William County and this is what I have heard too. If it is true, I think it is a disgusting waste of money to even hold job fairs. When people are getting laid off, no raises, etc. why are we wasting money to recruit new teachers when there is already an abundance?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:20 PM

54 posts, read 167,401 times
I went to the Fairfax job fair in the end of February. I'll PM you with the information I got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia