U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 05:25 PM

305 posts, read 906,362 times

Advertisements

Me and my spouse are in ATL Ga and I absolutely hate it hear
My spouse is looking at WA we are looking for a safe, environment for my daughter, and we are open to traveling from NOVA for work.

My spouse is in Corrections and I am working on my RN together we should be making to begin with somewhere around 80k with him working f/t and me p/t while I receive my RN.

Diversity is also important to us, we want to live in a nice area that offers this, as well as swimming for my daughter and children for her to play with that are nice of course
With the salary of 80k we would like to rent paying somewhere around 1600 - 1800 for a 3 bdrm is this possible?

Also we want to be in the outside of the metro area but able to travel into the metro area for family fun.

How are the people in NOVA, we are original from NYC and GA was a big shock for me they do not seem to like northerns and the job market sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 02:55 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,100 times
Hi, College student from NOVA. Nice region, I like it cause despite it being surburbia there still are many enimites and attractions and diversity outside the district, plus you're just a hop and a skip away from the district itself. Specifacally I am from Fairfax County, not far from George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate.

for real estate info;
Homes for Sale and Fairfax County Real Estate Directory, Buyer REBATE.
(beware, Fairco is great but very popular and affluent so some places can be PRICEY especially if they're near the Metro Trains)

Anyways, NoVa is a great suburban region and satelitte/complimentary region to the Capital with two great urban cities in Arlington and Alexandria.

Most else is suburban but still very cosmopoliton, primarily in the popular counties of Fairfax, Prince William and the eastern half of Loundon. Fairfax is the juggernaut both in terms of population and diversity, there is a heavy korean presence there but you will find just about anyone.

It also is arguably the most important county economically for the entire state, what with all the defense contractors, military personell, Freddie Mac, USA Today, PBS, Hilton Hotels, Booze Allen Hamilton there. The Tysons Corner area in the western part of the county has a lot of tech firms such as MCI, and the concentration is only poised to get larger. Most other places get more sparsley populated.

Economy is overall strong and growing, I don't know specifically how it would work for you husband though.

Traffic is well, youre from the ATL so yea it's as bad! But if you want to get to the District or certain other areas close to the beltway without driving you can use the crackerjack metro system, it's clean safe and very efficent with good coverage of the major close in suburbs (best served for getting to major areas in or close to DC in fairfax VA, or Prince Georges and Montgomery Counties in MD, soon will be expanded further west ward in Fairfax Co.)

My Mother is an RN and employed in the INOVA hospital system, these hospitals are probably the best known and largest in the area being a huge empolyer. INOVA Fairfax was recently named one of the best Hospitals in US News and World Report.

Most public schools are well funded and maintained and there are a few good mangnet private schools strewn about too.

more about INOVA; Welcome to World-Class Healthcare for Northern Virginia and the DC Metro Area | Inova Health System

If the whole northern vs. southern thing gets to you that much, then don't worry you won't get it here. NOVA prolly hasn't been "southern scince the end of the War, and definetly not scince the 80s. It's a neutral mid-atlantic area, due to so many national and international transplants. Really if you wanna combine those three counties and two cities together, we'd be a distinct state in culture and needs much different from the rest of the Old Dominion (to be churlish, the senators in Dixie Va hate us)

Last edited by waltlantz; 02-27-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 02-27-2009, 03:59 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,395,595 times
Been in NoVa for 40 years and the Vienna/Oakton area for 30+, and I'd say all the above is about right. Good diversity, good access to all sorts of stuff, as strong a job market as you'll find, swimming is a popular thing here, and you can find a nice 3-BR apartment for $1800 or less, even though there aren't as many of those as there are 1-BR's and 2-BR's. Rents in general have been falling off a bit of late, so there are some pretty good deals around. Being mostly from North Jersey and the FLA east coast originally, I find the people here are fine. They're from all over the place and mostly well-informed and tolerant folks...

Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,013 times
Moderator Cut: Real estate advertising is limited to one post only on the Classified Ads forum. I'm working towards my RN also. I will graduate in Aug 2010. What about you?

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-01-2009 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia