U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:26 PM

229 posts, read 672,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
There are some people who value time over money, and they'd rather pay a few extra dollars at McLean Hardware than drive miles away to Home Depot and deal with the employees who know nothing about hardware.
That's why stores such as McLean Hardware stay in business.
I'm sure there are some people who want that niche, but nice businesses have it tough.

And, those who "value time over money" have someone else do it for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 PM

229 posts, read 672,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Stores come and go, what people want changes. Stores in Vienna have changed tremendously over the last 25 years. So have houses. And cars. And clothes. Things change. Always. Except for the Vienna Inn.
Ownership of the Vienna Inn has changed....I believe.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:27 PM

46 posts, read 160,465 times
I live in Old Town Alexandria and it has struck me how much office space there is available for rental, plus how many storefronts are empty.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:56 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,861,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Mom View Post
I live in Old Town Alexandria and it has struck me how much office space there is available for rental, plus how many storefronts are empty.

I don't think we've seen anything yet....IMO, commercial real estate will be the next big bust. There are just way too many stores.

I read that the outfit that owns Tyson's Galleria and Landmark are teetering on bankruptcy. And I hope we (taxpayers) we don't end up bailing those high-flyers out too!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 AM

269 posts, read 898,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Fischer's Hardware in Springfield is the same way....they have old plumbers running the plumbing dept. and old electricians running the electrical dept., and so on. They do everything but go home with you and do the repair! They carry lots of stuff you'll never see at the Big Boxes....like parts for obsolete plumbing and lighting fixtures...and if it isn't in stock they'll get it for you, quick. They have some amazing hardware catalogs to order from.

I wouldn't go there for tools, but if I was there and needed a tool I didn't have to complete a repair....no way I'd drive miles and fight the masses at WallyWorld to save 7 bucks, no way. Plus, I like to support unique businesses like Fischers, and have for well over 40 years now. I still miss the old Star Supply in Annandale! LOL

I just read that the Fischer family has sold the business after 50 odd years....I sure hope the new folks don't change NUTHIN!

I also heard great things about Fischer's Hardware, from my realtor when we bought our home in Burke. I'm gonna have to check that place out!

Old 03-05-2009, 02:55 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,778,611 times
Dulles Town Center actually has a fairly large store that just opened. A cooking school/kitchen store next to Macys.

DTC lost Sharper Image and Bombay when those chains went belly up. Some smaller stores that had been on the Nordstrom wing moved into their locations. As a result, the second floor of the Nordstrom wing looks pretty empty. I hope some new stores move in that wing soon. But other than that, DTC looks very healthy.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM

26 posts, read 52,365 times
Fischer's is fantastic. As a clueless young homeowner I once stopped in on the way home from work to get a replacement toilet flapper. Didn't know what kind I needed (didn't know there were different kinds) but the employee in the plumbing section did. We lived near by and he knew what type of flappers the original toilets in those houses needed.

I also once walked in with a single broken screw to my headboard handed it to an employee and walked out with a replacement 5 minutes and about $.05 later.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:20 PM

204 posts, read 590,630 times
In Bristow, at the Bristow Center both the California Tortilla and some video game resale store closed on the same strip. The video game store had only been open two months.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:42 PM

482 posts, read 1,219,569 times
What year did Fischer's burn? was it 1969 or 1970?

Old 03-05-2009, 08:24 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,778,611 times
By the way, Home Depot Expo Center in Fairfax is closing at the end of March. They have some pretty amazing stuff on sale there (although most of it's so high end it's still way too expensive for me). All kinds of samples are on sale for $10-15 dollars. Creative people can find uses for this stuff. My daughter made a cool side table from a tile sample. Cost her $20 ($5 for some molding to finish the sides and a base). Looks great, and the tile pieces are gorgeous--in former days they sold for $75 a foot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia