Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:25 AM

280 posts, read 1,042,016 times

Advertisements

So, I'm still househunting. I've lived here as a renter for a long time but am hoping to buy now that things are affordable. Depending on circumstance will likely stay in the "starter" house I find for ~5 yrs (so not looking for "flip this house" type investment, but hoping not to buy into a declining area).

My commute is infrequent (I mostly work from home) but all over the place--1x/week to Tysons (may be Arlington in the future), occasional to DC, Herndon, Warrenton, Nokesville. Trying not to get too far out (say, Gainesville, Haymarket) for greater job flexibility, in case I do get stuck with a daily commute ever.

The bottom line is that in my price range (lower 200s at most, hopefully less) are understandably not the most desirable parts of NoVA. (If tons of rich people wanted to live there, houses would be more expensive--fair enough). I'm hoping for a TH (SFH fine too if I find one), not a condo as those fees add up, I'm young and not family oriented (though I understand that school districts impact housing values a lot). I don't fear diversity, but don't want to get stuck in an area I can't sell. Character is nice but probably too much to ask.

Every area I've looked at has been heavily panned on this board as sketchy (totally understand--that's why it's cheap), if not the whole town, then at least that complex ("that is the worst part of Centreville/Chantilly etc. . . ")

So, for the best of the worst, what do you think has the most potential to go up, not down in the next 5 years or so?
  • Falls Church (22042, 22043)
  • Low end of Fairfax City (22030)
  • Low end of Centreville
  • Low end of Chantilly
  • Signal Hill/VRE section of Manassas Park
  • Manassas off Sudley Manor
  • Lower end of Reston/Herndon
  • Others?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 12:03 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
I would have said the Pimmit Hills area of 22043 - with the recent increase in tear-downs/infills and the Tysons metro coming to the area - but perhaps this is already factored into the prices. You won't find anything in the low to mid-200s there now.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:32 PM

280 posts, read 1,042,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I would have said the Pimmit Hills area of 22043 - with the recent increase in tear-downs/infills and the Tysons metro coming to the area - but perhaps this is already factored into the prices. You won't find anything in the low to mid-200s there now.

Good luck.
Thanks--you are right on that--more like upper 200s-300s.

In that general neighborhood I saw 1 in 22046 and quite a few in 22042 (a bunch clustered on 29 which would be like Tyler Park, I think, which I believe is less good than Pimmit Hills and then some on 50 which is Broyhill Park which I'm not familiar with).

Anyone have thoughts on those areas? (vs. the other ones further out) Thanks!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 PM

482 posts, read 1,372,062 times
There are some nice values in 22042. You may even see some in 22044 under 400K.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 PM

229 posts, read 744,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novahousehunter View Post
So, I'm still househunting. I've lived here as a renter for a long time but am hoping to buy now that things are affordable. Depending on circumstance will likely stay in the "starter" house I find for ~5 yrs (so not looking for "flip this house" type investment, but hoping not to buy into a declining area).

My commute is infrequent (I mostly work from home) but all over the place--1x/week to Tysons (may be Arlington in the future), occasional to DC, Herndon, Warrenton, Nokesville. Trying not to get too far out (say, Gainesville, Haymarket) for greater job flexibility, in case I do get stuck with a daily commute ever.

The bottom line is that in my price range (lower 200s at most, hopefully less) are understandably not the most desirable parts of NoVA. (If tons of rich people wanted to live there, houses would be more expensive--fair enough). I'm hoping for a TH (SFH fine too if I find one), not a condo as those fees add up, I'm young and not family oriented (though I understand that school districts impact housing values a lot). I don't fear diversity, but don't want to get stuck in an area I can't sell. Character is nice but probably too much to ask.

Every area I've looked at has been heavily panned on this board as sketchy (totally understand--that's why it's cheap), if not the whole town, then at least that complex ("that is the worst part of Centreville/Chantilly etc. . . ")

So, for the best of the worst, what do you think has the most potential to go up, not down in the next 5 years or so?
  • Falls Church (22042, 22043)
  • Low end of Fairfax City (22030)
  • Low end of Centreville
  • Low end of Chantilly
  • Signal Hill/VRE section of Manassas Park
  • Manassas off Sudley Manor
  • Lower end of Reston/Herndon
  • Others?
Thanks for any suggestions!
You'll be seriously hard pressed to find any diamond in the roughs in Falls Church (22043) for upper 200's/300's.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novahousehunter View Post
Thanks--you are right on that--more like upper 200s-300s.

In that general neighborhood I saw 1 in 22046 and quite a few in 22042 (a bunch clustered on 29 which would be like Tyler Park, I think, which I believe is less good than Pimmit Hills and then some on 50 which is Broyhill Park which I'm not familiar with).

Anyone have thoughts on those areas? (vs. the other ones further out) Thanks!
Not really sure what direction Tyler Park or Broyhill Park is heading in these days, but there are some nice older properties in Broyhill Park and it has better access than Tyler Park to both 495 and Tysons.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:32 AM

989 posts, read 2,855,994 times
I like Ashburn, although I wouldn't consider it a transitional area. There have been some townhouses come on the market in the low $200,000's.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:22 AM

722 posts, read 1,981,703 times
I love how the OP specified "lower 200s at most" and got a list of properties, all of them over $250. Nobody ever takes me seriously around here when I talk about my potential price range, either

I can't say where I think values will go up or down. I don't have my crystal ball handy. But, personally out of that list, I like Fairfax City and Reston. Especially Fairfax City. It's very centrally located and it does have some character, probably because of its proximity to GMU. It's never going to be Old Town, but it feels more lively, to me, than Chantilly, Manassas, Centreville, etc.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:04 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,731 times
I would say falls church maybe or reston because they are building metro out to reston. then I would say fairfax city, then I would say centreville then chantilly then manassas park vre section then manassas of sudley manor that is in order from most safe economically wise to least safe economically wise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia