U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:40 AM

11 posts, read 45,298 times

Advertisements

Now I'm beginning to look in some other areas to weigh out my options regarding moving to VA. I love the Warrenton area, but we will need to actually drive the commute to test it out.

What about Reston area? What about Herndon area? Feedback?

thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 11:38 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,360,355 times
Reston and Herndon are both nice areas. They're certainly much more cluttered and (sub)urban in character than Warrenton. You'd smack dab in the middle (erm, maybe the periphery) of the craziness of the DC area. In a nutshell though, awful traffic, good schools, low crime, with lots to do, and expensive housing (although not AS expensive as much of the DC area). I'm too lazy to write a detailed description at the moment (I should be in bed! ) but if you click the search button at the top center of this page and type in "Herndon" you'll see a plethora of older threads and posts that will pop up that will give you a good reading on the area. Ditto for Reston.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:03 AM

786 posts, read 4,319,432 times
Default Reston and Herndon are completely different

The only similarity between Herndon and Reston is they are located next to each other.

Reston is more yuppie (and White/Asian professional) with tons of shops, fancy restaurants, a nice urban downtown, loads of jobs in nice office parks and many nice wooded neighborhoods. It is expensive to live in Reston and I can see why. The nicest parts of Reston are on the east side of town.

Herndon is facing a crisis in Illegal Immigration. Now it is the most ethically diverse suburban City in Northern Virginia. About 50% of the people are Hispanic and this is a very recent change. They have a huge problem with Illegal Aliens standing around shopping centers and on streets looking for jobs. The housing in Herndon is full of families and groups of over 15-20 people who over crowd the dwelling to save money. Herndon is affordable because there are fewer single family homes and more apartments and town houses. Property is slow to sell and there are many problems with foreclosures.

Last edited by Dingler; 03-22-2007 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-22-2007, 07:21 AM

11 posts, read 45,298 times
Thanks for the good information on the difference between Herndon and Reston. Those are the things I am afraid a realtor wouldn't tell me and I'm not sure I would figure out on my own!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:33 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,660,917 times
Parts of Herdon are very nice. Only problem for us was that all the NICE neighborhoods were 550 and over for a house.

Yes Herdon has major problems with immigrants, both legal and illegal. We looked at many homes priced around $480-$500k that were HORRIBLE! basements with just matresses on the floor for sleeping. Some of these were for several families living together...cousins etc... But many were mostly young latino men living in the houses and working for the owner (flipping them) and sending money back home.
One house we looked at had at least 15 people "squatting" there, we couldn't even look in the bedrooms because they were in there with the doors looked! The basement had 4-5 bare matresses on the floor with piles of clothes etc....

So yes while parts of Herdon are very nice you have to be really particular in what neighborhood you are looking at. And then remember that All of Herdon filters into Herdon HS. We have good friends that live there and she LOVES her neighborhood, however when we were looking at houses the cheapest house in her area was $560k.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:04 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,615,349 times
Default One observation on housing costs in Herndon

Pardon my ignorance on doing the "quote" thing, but just as a fyi, I wanted to share that the market has gotten softer in the nice parts of Herndon during the last year (probably true in other places). For example, we are temporarily renting a single-family home in a nice part of Herndon (closer to Sterling) and apparently homes in this neighborhood were going for $500,000+ last year. This year we've seen 3-4 homes on the market and they are all priced under $450,000 (even those with a 2-car garage).

Good luck,

Maggie

Last edited by mlv311; 03-22-2007 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-22-2007, 10:47 AM

yes the market has softened and yes there are a FEW homes in hte nicer areas of Herdon for around 450-500k (about10 total) Buit most of the Houses in the more desirable areas ie Carson middle school as apposed to Herndon middle school are still above 500k.

The last 10 years have not been kind to Herndon. It used to be the place to live to get a good price on a house and still be in Fairfax co schools. But in the last 10 years Loudoun co has done a great job on it's schools. Asburn schools in loudoun are getting national recognition.

and like it or not open your eyes to hte problems that Herdon has...IT does have a gang problem. Not as bad as Sterling though. NOVA does has MS13 and Latin Kings active (fairfax, loudoun , prince william and frederick county)

nOw It is still wayyyyy better than the us average for crime and it does have good schools, just beware of where you buy!! that 430k house that looks great etc.... may just be next door to not so nice neighbors. Scout hte neighborhood during the day and at night. See those guys driving around with baseball caps, sunglasses and bandanas covering thier faces...not a good sign!

Old 03-22-2007, 04:50 PM

As a former five-year resident of Herndon, I have to respectfully disagree with much of what is being said in this thread and how Herndon has been characterized. It's not this slum-like border town as people seem to be describing. Herndon is largely middle-class with large swaths of upper-middle-class and lower-middle-class. In comparison with Reston, it is more dense and has more apartment buildings and strip malls. Reston was a planned suburban community so it's layout is well thought-out, incorporated trees, bike paths, and manmade lakes into it's neighborhoods. It's more peaceful and serene, particularly in the residential areas which are generally somewhat secluded from heavy retail and major thoroughfares. Herndon basically sprouted up in your typical suburban fashion, with not all that much planning and is your traditional post-war suburb in some respects with the mishmash of strip malls, garden-style apartment complexes, fast food restaurants and such set aside aside traffic-clogged main roads. Yes, Herndon has a large Latino community. In 2000, the figure was 26% Latino and it's generally assumed that now the figure hovers around 40% which puts it roughly on par with the number of whites in the community. The overwhelming majority of Latinos living in Herndon are LEGAL. I can't stress enough on this board that Hispanic does NOT equal illegal. Hundreds of thousands of Salvadorans, Guatemalans and Hondurans (the dominant groups in Herndon) in this country were granted LEGAL temporary visas that they have been renewing year after year. The town is very diverse, with sizeable Asian, Middle Eastern and Black populations as well, many of whom are legal immigrants as well, many white-collar who work in the Hi-tech/IT industry in the Dulles Corridor.

Contrary to popular belief, Herndon has very low crime and what little crime it does have is generally domestic disturbances and petty crime. The crime rate in Herndon is actually lower than it is in the more visually-pleasing Reston. The media blows the gang situation WAY out of control. Many people tend to assume that when they see groups of young Latino (and to a lesser extent Asian and Black) men in hip hop clothes, that they are in a gang when more likely than not, they're just buddies who happen to enjoy the hip hop culture and fashion (as is true for many young people of all races). There are gangs in Herndon. There are also gangs in Reston and Sterling and Chantilly and Ashburn and Leesburg. They are NOT a serious threat anywhere in Northern Virginia (possible exception being the apartment buildings in Culmore near Bailey's Crossroads). They largely stick to themselves and only harass other gang members. This is not the sort of situation where you have to fear getting caught in a drive-by shooting or wary of wearing the wrong colors or looking at the wrong person. However, any crime involving gang members is breathlessly covered by media. Also, Herndon High School is a good school; not the best in Fairfax County but above average for Fairfax County which in itself is very well-regarded and above average school district.

Herndon is a perfectly fine location. There are good homes and there are worse homes, good streets and worse streets, good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods. If Latinos make you nervous, as they do a lot of people on this board for whatever reason, don't move there.

Personally, I don't think Herndon is a good match for you based on your desire to escape the ratrace and have a more quiet small town environment. Reston, while not a traditional small town in any sense, offers serenity and peace more than Herndon, although both are quite pricey.

Last edited by dullnboring; 03-22-2007 at 05:27 PM..

Old 03-23-2007, 07:53 AM

maybe you misread what I said.

I said Herndon has some VERY nice areas. But most of those are quite expensive. But Herdon also has some not very good areas. Area's that I wouldn't want my kids playing out in the neighborhood in. Just as Sterling has some very nice areas but also some really bad areas! You have to be careful and be wary of hte houses right now that are priced VERY good.

I never said that all the immigrants in Herdon were illegal! Most of the houses I looked at that had multi family members/ adults wqere legal workers working in the construction/refrubshing trade. But you have to reealise that Herdon does have it's problems and AS I Said crime was lower than most of the US but it has risen in Herdon in the last 10years. Sterling has a much higher crime rate.

Every town has it's GOOD areas and it's bad areas.... Just be careful and know that ALL of Herdon isn't nice. YOu have to check out the neighborhoods. same here in Leesburg, some neighborhoods have more crime than others.
Herdon DOES have an illegal population....remember the uproar over the Day Labor center??? They were all hanging out at in the 7-11 parking lot. It got national coverage last year.
I HAVE NO problem with latios! but I have 3 girls and I don't care what ethnic background you come from I DON'T want ot live next door to a house ?that is home to 5+ ADULT males!! That's just me.

We live in a very diverse neighborhood, and I like that. But the majority of my neighbors are FAMILIES with kids. The Parents are working professionals and part time working mom's. They put an emphasis on education and going to college. ETc... it's not the color of skin I care about.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
maybe you misread what I said.

I said Herndon has some VERY nice areas. But most of those are quite expensive. But Herdon also has some not very good areas. Area's that I wouldn't want my kids playing out in the neighborhood in. Just as Sterling has some very nice areas but also some really bad areas! You have to be careful and be wary of hte houses right now that are priced VERY good.

I never said that all the immigrants in Herdon were illegal! Most of the houses I looked at that had multi family members/ adults wqere legal workers working in the construction/refrubshing trade. But you have to reealise that Herdon does have it's problems and AS I Said crime was lower than most of the US but it has risen in Herdon in the last 10years. Sterling has a much higher crime rate.

Every town has it's GOOD areas and it's bad areas.... Just be careful and know that ALL of Herdon isn't nice. YOu have to check out the neighborhoods. same here in Leesburg, some neighborhoods have more crime than others.
Herdon DOES have an illegal population....remember the uproar over the Day Labor center??? They were all hanging out at in the 7-11 parking lot. It got national coverage last year.
I HAVE NO problem with latios! but I have 3 girls and I don't care what ethnic background you come from I DON'T want ot live next door to a house ?that is home to 5+ ADULT males!! That's just me.

We live in a very diverse neighborhood, and I like that. But the majority of my neighbors are FAMILIES with kids. The Parents are working professionals and part time working mom's. They put an emphasis on education and going to college. ETc... it's not the color of skin I care about.
I wasn't trying to label you or anyone else a racist in any way and I apologize if it came across this way.

I've just found through my time on this board that many many people overexaggerate issues in regards to crime and standards of living in communities that happen to have a large population of minorities. Sometimes they'll state it outright (i.e. "don't move there...it's mostly mexicans") or they'll imply it through subtle code words about an area's "culture" or other means. I have no problem with criticism of an area that happens to have a large minority population and realize that oftentimes there are cultural issues that may affect another person from outside that culture's opinion of an area, but it's just that oftentimes people give false impressions of areas based on their own preconceived notions, many of which can statistically be proven false. As you stated, Herndon is very safe community; but the way it has been portrayed many times on this board is as some sort of gang-filled barrio. Many people on this board (I'm talking as a whole, not the Virginia board) will steer people from one suburb that may have a high population of blacks or Latinos towards another whiter suburb saying that it's safer and the schools are better, even though statistics say otherwise.

I'm not going to deny that Herndon does have problems, and I certainly see your point about being leery about raising young daughters in an area where there's 10 men to a house, and like you said, that's not really an issue of skin color (after all, what family would want to live on a college campus' "frat row" if they had young daughters as well?). I do feel however that many people go to Herndon and they see all the Latinos and their brains are filled with thoughts of crime, poor-performing schools, MS-13, illegals, and other sort of stereotypes which isn't correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia