U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:15 AM

6 posts, read 31,844 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Fredericksburg within the next 2 years and I was just wondering what the area is like. My husband is especially looking at the Massaponax area (spelling?) to start a practice (orthodontic) so we would like to settle relatively nearby.

We had a realtor drive us around in December and it seemed like a nice place, but I'd love to get an insider's opinion, especially regarding area schools, activities for children (we have two under 3 right now), shopping, traffic, the general feel of the place. We're out of state currently but lived in Richmond for 4 years and my husband grew up in Virginia Beach so we're pretty familiar with the state as a whole.

Any suggestions? This is a big decision for us. Wherever we decide it will be pretty permanent!

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 02:13 PM

738 posts, read 3,565,691 times
I would definately suggest moving to the massaponax area! The amount of growth in that area will be perfect for opening up a practice. I would also suggest the Ladysmith area... As I've said in this forum before, the Ladysmith area will be growing extremely in the next 10 years... and if you opened a practice soon, you'll be the first one in the area... which will give you time to build a reputation and clients before competitors move in. Right now there is a 3200 home development (Ladysmith Village) and a 3500 home development (pendalton) in the works. All the kids from those developments, plus the current residents will need your husband's services.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:55 AM

6 posts, read 31,844 times
Smile Pendalton?

Thanks for the info. I was able to find a website for Ladysmith Village (with looks great, by the way!) but nothing on Pendalton. Do you know if they have a website?

Old 03-23-2007, 10:02 AM

738 posts, read 3,565,691 times
Check the Tricord Homes website, it's one of their developments. I think I misspelled it, which is why you wouldn't have found it. They just started construction this Spring.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:43 AM

268 posts, read 1,555,214 times
Traffic in Massaponax is really heavy on the weekends, but so is all of Fredericksburg. The road infrastructure has not kept up with the construction, but that happens everywhere that the economy is doing well. Fortunately for you, your husband's commute will probably not be far since he can chose where to set up his practice and isn't dependent on where jobs exist.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:13 PM

103 posts, read 852,059 times
Fredericksburg is congested and everyone wants to move here now. It is ridiculous.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 8,781 times
My husband and I moved to Fredericksburg August 2005 from Hampton, VA and it still does not feel like home to us. If we had done our homework we would not have relocated here, partly because my husband's commute to DC is so undesirable. Because this is such a life-changing decision . . .PROS:*Over 98% of Spotsy Co. Schools are accredited*Lots of activities for children (see Fredericksburg Parent Magazine-free inside Ukrops)**Lots of new construction/growth-good for business & Fred. econ.CONS:*Lacks culture/diversity! Rural feel . . . Population seems more like a segregated retirement area*Many commute to DC for work so it's difficult to connect to people . . work/sleep/work . .*There are not enough transportation/roads to accomodate all the traffic yet they keep bringing stores. . .East coast largest waterpark on the way!*Progressive minded . . .NO . . .Home of the Civil War . . and it shows!*Mary Washington Hospital is *HORRIBLE . . but new hospital coming soon*Because we are located exactly between 2 major cities (Richmond/DC) all major events, jobs, specialty services are usually found there . . =commuting for needs*The shopping . . .depends on what you like I recommend NoVA or Richmond- better clothing selectionsGood luck!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:48 PM

367 posts, read 1,177,407 times
Fredericksburg is a nice place. I hear that per capita it has more restaurants and shopping than anywhere in America. If you have to commute to DC, then it's going to suck because DC is 50+ miles away. And the way traffic is around the area it's not going to be fun.

However, if you work close to Fredericksburg, then I can't think of any better place:

1 hour to DC
1.5 hours to Baltimore
1.5 hours to VA Beach
1 hour to Williamsburg
1 hour to the mountains
30 minutes to Richmond
15 minutes to King Dominion
Next door to the potomace shoreline
3.5 hours from Philly
4.5 hours from NYC
3 hours from NC's outer banks
5 hours from Myrtle Beach

That is if traffic conditions are perfect.

Lastly, mild winters.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:39 AM

16 posts, read 32,818 times
I've lived in the Fredericksburg area my entire life, and love it. Schools were wonderful while I was enrolled (graduated in 2002) but I do here they are going downhill. Much growth in Fredericksburg as well as Massaponax. Ladysmith and Lake Anna area will be growing in the next several years as well. Many historic parks and museums, very educational. Huge library downtown. You must visit Carl's Ice cream. Take a 30-45 drive out to Lake Anna to spend the day boating, fishing, jet skiing. I have a 14 month old that I take to Fredericksburg's "The Little Gym". For other activities look up fredericksburg parks and recreation or spotsylvania county parks and recreation. Traffic into D.C. area, HORRIBLE. I commute every day and it takes about 2 hours EACH WAY!!! There isn't much business opportunity to make as much as you can up north in fredericksburg, but starting your own business I'm sure would be different. My family is considering moving from Fredericksburg closer to D.C. now because of the commute, but otherwise we'd never leave. My husband moved here from NY and likes it better here.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 8,898 times
Thumbs down Moving to Fredericksburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusandemily View Post
We are considering a move to Fredericksburg within the next 2 years and I was just wondering what the area is like.
I would NOT move there! I lived there for 7 years and me and my family hated every single second of it. We moved as quick as we were able to.

The people are EXTREMELY rude, there is traffic everywhere, jobs are scarce unless you're in the government and willing to make a ridiculous commute, violence is high and the school systems are (I'm convinced) the worst in the country. There isn't even room to enjoy the beauty of the land because of how fast the city grows. The only people I've ever known to like it are natives for some reason.

Hope you find the best though,
Catrina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia