U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:41 PM

241 posts, read 904,981 times

Advertisements

Kohl's is directly opposite Dulles Glenn, you just have to cross the road. There's a Giant and some other stores in the next block. The buildings under construction that you saw are BB&T and a lot of restaurants (Potbelly, Masala Wok, etc.). There's another block opposite that has Bank of America, Chipotle and Robek's (we go there for lunch all the time).

Like the poster above me have said, its not really ghetto. Its just that in my experience, I saw a LOT of immigrants around this area (more on weekends than weekdays) .... I know a lot live in Dulles Glenn, they kind of pool-in and live there, you know, 4 ppl in an apt, etc. The seven-eleven has a computer institute or something like that behind it for the immigrants. I know the area really well since I lived around there for a year, used to drive on Elden Street all the time, to downtown herndon (for the library) and my work is near there too. Plus my daughter's daycare is on Herndon Parkway.

DCAA's office is nowhere near Dulles Glenn, how did you deduce it was walking distance? Its kind of near the boundary between Reston and Herndon. Reston would be ideal for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 04:50 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,182,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samara11 View Post
DCAA's office is nowhere near Dulles Glenn, how did you deduce it was walking distance? Its kind of near the boundary between Reston and Herndon. Reston would be ideal for you
MAPQUEST:

171 Elden Street (DCAA) to 1265 Elden Street (Dulles Glen)

2.64 miles. I could probably walk this in about a half-hour on fair weather days to save gas, or it would be about a five-to-ten-minute drive, no?

For that matter, are there any affordable 1-bedroom apartment complexes nearer to this part of Elden Street?

Old 03-12-2009, 05:03 PM

241 posts, read 904,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
MAPQUEST:

171 Elden Street (DCAA) to 1265 Elden Street (Dulles Glen)

2.64 miles. I could probably walk this in about a half-hour on fair weather days to save gas, or it would be about a five-to-ten-minute drive, no?

For that matter, are there any affordable 1-bedroom apartment complexes nearer to this part of Elden Street?
Yep, its probably a 10 minutes drive. Please dont laugh but actually, to me, walking distance means a mile or less :-p

You could ride a bicycle to work, you know. In summer and fall, I see a lot of bikers on Herndon Parkway and people here are pretty comfortable driving around them. Reston town Center is like next door to DCAA's office, I bet your co-workers hang around there after work.

I never researched the apts in Reston or that part of Herndon (around Elden Street) so sorry cant help you there. Good luck!!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:11 PM

122 posts, read 189,982 times
I thought $1139 was a little low for the area. Last time I looked which was a few months ago the market rent was 1300-1400 for that area. Anything lower than that and I would be suspect of the quality of the area. I would def look at Reston area since there are many young professionals there. Herdon can be ghetto but as people have already pointed that is a matter of opinion. To me it's ghetto.

A lot of young professionals in NOVA have roommates since the cost of renting is so high. They rent rooms and share spaces. And if you want to go out to DC or Arlington after rush hour than you would have to wait until after 8:00. Otherwise you just sit in traffic that is slow moving around rte 66E in Arlington. I usually just sit in the traffic. You will get used to it after a while.

I would definitely suggest visiting the area and checking out the apartment choices before making a decision.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:12 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,774,950 times
171 Elden! That's definitely walking distance to Reston, not to mention the W&OD. Your office building is right next to Thai Luang, one of my very favorite restaurants. There's also a nice little german restaurant right across from the Residence Inn.

When we first moved here, we stayed at the Residence Inn for 6 weeks and walked to work near Lake Anne. It's about 2 miles.

The only apartment building I've heard warnings about is the large complex that has Sugarland Run behind it (sorry, I don't remember the name but you can probably figure it out). It wasn't really dangerous, just depressing, and there were some petty crimes a few years ago.

Now that I see where you are, I definitely recommend Lake Anne. Among other things, Lake Anne is a historic district and has quite a few interesting pieces of architecture. Your apartment building would probably be just a typical building, of course, but you might enjoy walking around the neighborhood.

http://www.lakeanneplaza.com/lap_site_/lap_idx.htm (broken link)
http://www.restonmuseum.org/
http://www.dexigner.com/architecture/news-g2740.html (broken link)

Last edited by normie; 03-12-2009 at 05:24 PM..

Old 03-12-2009, 05:18 PM

122 posts, read 189,982 times
Oh and the clubs don't fill up until about 11:00 so don't worry about going out later. I don't know why people around here go out so late. When I lived in Phoenix everyone wanted to meet up at 6:00. I guess people just do more overtime here.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:47 PM

280 posts, read 911,114 times
I used to work in that same plaza.
I still end up at Carpool across the street all the time to hang with those old coworkers.
Anyway, as others said that is on the Herndon/Reston line. If you can find something in Reston, you would probably like it better.

You can definitely walk 2.5 miles, but at least for me, having to cross major streets every block slows me down and takes a lot of the joy out of it, but more power to you for being green and healthy!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 AM

3,286 posts, read 10,566,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
Oh and the clubs don't fill up until about 11:00 so don't worry about going out later. I don't know why people around here go out so late. When I lived in Phoenix everyone wanted to meet up at 6:00. I guess people just do more overtime here.
That, or you have happy hour until about 8, go home for a shower and some food, and then before you know it it's 10:30. Or, you do like some of my friends, and happy hour ends at 4:30am.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:06 AM

5,608 posts, read 20,666,650 times
Congratulations on getting the job, ScranBarre! Now if only I can figure out what I want... With the DCAA, as a new hire do you have to start off working in n. VA or can you start at one of their many other locations?

Old 03-13-2009, 11:14 AM

30,101 posts, read 67,182,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Congratulations on getting the job, ScranBarre! Now if only I can figure out what I want... With the DCAA, as a new hire do you have to start off working in n. VA or can you start at one of their many other locations?
With DCAA my location was chosen for me. They came to do on-campus interviews up here in Pennsylvania last month, and we were told that while many offices are hiring, for the purposes of that particular day we were only going to be considered for branch offices in Metro DC. Herndon would not have been my top choice (I'd much rather have ended up in Ft. Belvoir so I could more easily live in Alexandria for my commutes), but such is life. I'll still do my best to make the agency pleased in their selection, and perhaps after a few years I'll see if I can transfer to an office in an area more suitable to my tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia