U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-06-2007, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Gainesville, VA
566 posts, read 2,753,117 times
Reputation: 150

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
I'm not sure. I was referencing local elections (Board of County Supervisors type elections). I thought PW voted for Bush, but i could be wrong. Regardless the current Board of Supervisors got re-elected mainly because of their anti-illegal immigration platform.
You are correct. PW did vote for Bush. Kaine received just a little more than 50% of the vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2007, 08:49 AM
 
23 posts, read 100,969 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
When I came to Northern Virginia 20 years ago it was so nice. In fact it reminded me of many Cities I use to live in the Midwest. Move ahead to the year 2007 and it is not so nice anymore.

Here are my complaints:

They cut down thousands of trees all over Fairfax County for cookie cutter development. I am shocked every time I drive around how ugly everything is getting. It use to be somewhat rural and wooded here. The most successful job in Northern VA is clearing forests for subdivisions and strip malls.

The people are kind of unfriendly. I use to think of this area as a Southern place. People use to be nice and friendly. Now, it is more like being in suburban New York. It is harsh with alot of rude people and neighbors that no longer seem to give a dam about each other. (of course with exceptions) We gave up on the block parties five years ago when they could not get anyone to show up. Even a wave between neighbors is uncommon now days. I talk to many people around here with the same observation.

To much ethic diversity. (I know I am not being PC) The schools have gone down hill fast due to so many students who do not speak English. Everyone seems to break into their own little ethnic groups and ignore everyone else. There seems to be little mixing of people and the White people are now a minority in my town. I would welcome the ethnic diversity-- if people mixed regardless of their ethnic background.

Traffic is incredible and cost of living sky high. I want out!
You are unfortunately so right!! I moved from Maryland to Arlington back in the late 70s. Arlington was like a small Southern community. Unfortunately, the cost of living skyrocketed in just a few years with enormous increases in rent, Metro fares (doubled in about two years), the 4% sales tax on all food. I was forced to return to Maryland which I swore that I'd never do. Since then, as you say, development has gone through the roof in Virginia and I am clueless as to how Virginians deal with that nightmarish traffic. A look at Route 66 rush hour traffic boggles the mind! My sister lives in a small community off West Ox Road in Fairfax and I have seen a remarkable amount of new developments with the resulting disappearance of trees over the past 10 years. Due to the traffic, I only visit her on Sundays. She teaches and the majority of her pupils are recently from some country overseas. There's also the ongoing battle over illegal alien day workers. I really have no room to criticize since I live in Maryland and that is a whole new horror story in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2007, 08:55 AM
 
3,504 posts, read 7,920,013 times
Reputation: 3466
I live in a development from the 70's and the trees were not removed - I know because every backyard has tons of very tall, old trees - not replanted after building. There is a lake and trails, etc. - back in the 70's everyone was into nature, remember?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2007, 02:25 PM
 
1,727 posts, read 1,441,099 times
Reputation: 388
yes, and if I understand correctly, based on my experience in building a house, it's just easier for the builders to plow the trees down (than to build around them). We were shocked when our wooded lot became a not-wooded lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2007, 07:16 PM
 
7 posts, read 41,490 times
Reputation: 15
This seems like the right place to ask--Should my we be considering relocation to NOVA? We are living in TN while I attend nursing school and we want to decide before I graduate next summer if we want to make this permanent. My husband brouht up Arlington/Alexandria as an area to look into because he lived there for awhile before we met. He is aware of the high cost of living compared to TN...but it is not much higher than MN. My biggest concern is schools because we have school age children. Also, we want urban but with a sense of community like a smaller town would have...we want diveristy in all areas--economic, racial, education, etc. We want access to dependable public transportation...So, can this happen in NOVA...Can we live close enough if not in Alexandria and have good schools, good transportation and safety...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2008, 05:10 AM
 
1,763 posts, read 5,371,083 times
Reputation: 798
Default Agree with the original post

I have to concur with the feelings of the original poster.

I moved to NoVa in 1990. The changes started becoming more obvious in the mid-90's - that's when I first remember people running red lights more frequently, the start of road rage, more rude behavior, etc. I left the area two years ago.

Some other posts I've read mention that a lot of other big cities have the same problem. I think there's some truth to that, although I think it's worse in DC/NoVa than anywhere else. Maybe that's only my experience.

You have to worry about the gang issues too. MS-13 is all over the east, but it's most active in NoVa. Other cities do have gang issues. But MS-13 is the scariest of the bunch, and they call NoVa home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2008, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
Reputation: 18989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
I moved to NoVa in 1990. The changes started becoming more obvious in the mid-90's - that's when I first remember people running red lights more frequently, the start of road rage, more rude behavior, etc. I left the area two years ago.

Some other posts I've read mention that a lot of other big cities have the same problem. I think there's some truth to that, although I think it's worse in DC/NoVa than anywhere else. Maybe that's only my experience.
Good post. It's hard for me to judge, because I haven't always lived inthe same place. I lived in much more dangerous neighborhoods in the 1970s and 1980s. Where I live now is a very peaceful place. I often walk around the neighborhood after 10 at night. In the 1970s I rented a place near the Capital building and was attacked while walking home one night--that's what began my trek to the suburbs. So, for me life has been getting steadily better.

On the other hand, I've lived in quite a few cities and I still visit many of them regularly. I have noticed an increase in general rage. IMO, people have become very self centered, and they have this unrealistic sense of entitlement. I see more and more people becoming frustrated just because life doesn't hand them everything they want at the very instant they want it. I'm also disturbed by a growing need for constant stimulation. People seem mor frantic, too. They don't seem to know how to relax or "do nothing" anymore--they feel they need to be entertained 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I see this in many cities, and DC is definitely one of them. I only go into the city 3-4 times a year these days, and one of the reasons I don't like going down there anymore is that I don't care for the angry energy. I guess I've just gotten spoiled by my peaceful life here in Cascades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2008, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
87 posts, read 97,701 times
Reputation: 24
Smile Living in Prince William County is just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
When I came to Northern Virginia 20 years ago it was so nice. In fact it reminded me of many Cities I use to live in the Midwest. Move ahead to the year 2007 and it is not so nice anymore.

Here are my complaints:

They cut down thousands of trees all over Fairfax County for cookie cutter development. I am shocked every time I drive around how ugly everything is getting. It use to be somewhat rural and wooded here. The most successful job in Northern VA is clearing forests for subdivisions and strip malls.

The people are kind of unfriendly. I use to think of this area as a Southern place. People use to be nice and friendly. Now, it is more like being in suburban New York. It is harsh with alot of rude people and neighbors that no longer seem to give a dam about each other. (of course with exceptions) We gave up on the block parties five years ago when they could not get anyone to show up. Even a wave between neighbors is uncommon now days. I talk to many people around here with the same observation.

To much ethic diversity. (I know I am not being PC) The schools have gone down hill fast due to so many students who do not speak English. Everyone seems to break into their own little ethnic groups and ignore everyone else. There seems to be little mixing of people and the White people are now a minority in my town. I would welcome the ethnic diversity-- if people mixed regardless of their ethnic background.

Traffic is incredible and cost of living sky high. I want out!
My wife and I moved to Prince William County (Lake Ridge) in 1974. We have witnessed the rapid growth of the county during the past 30 years. Some like it (like me) and others don't. There is no "home town" atmosphere in eastern PWC, but it may exist somewhat in the western part of the county. As for ethnic diversity, I think it is fine. Be sure to learn some Spanish!

Last edited by ggjacobsen; 01-04-2008 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2008, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,400 posts, read 25,780,931 times
Reputation: 18989
I think the real issue is that most people don't like change. They want a neighborhood to be exactly the same as it was when they were young. Or, when they first moved in--especially if they moved to that neighborhood because of the way it was. It's human nature.

If you see a huge numbre of people who are happy with a neighborhood or city changing, you can bet that that neighborhood was a terrible place to live before. Even if it's just marginally better, it will get rave reviews. But if you have happy memories of a place, changes are likely to make you feel sad.

Looking at it positively, this means that people have had happy memories here. That's a lot better than growing up thinking it was a terrible place to live and any change is an improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2008, 05:31 PM
 
555 posts, read 2,433,486 times
Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post
My wife and I moved to Prince William County (Lake Ridge) in 1974. We have witnessed the rapid growth of the county during the past 30 years. Some like it (like me) and others don't. There is no "home town" atmosphere in eastern PWC, but it may exist somewhat in the western part of the county. As for ethnic diversity, I think it is fine. Be sure to learn some Spanish!
You think it's fine because you live in Lake Ridge. Go live on Longview Drive or Willowbrook in Dumfries and we'll see how "fine" it is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top