U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 01:34 PM

791 posts, read 2,461,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForce Family View Post
Wow! This is sad but I tend to agree with all of you on this subject. I graduated from Manassas H.S. over 20 years ago, and back then the place still had dirt roads. Now, I don't recognize it, and when we tried to visit we usually turned around before we got there because we were tired of sitting in I-66 traffic for hours.

Now we're heading to Andrews Air Force Base this summer and I'm looking for a safe, clean, family-friendly, quality-school district community. We're coming from overseas. My research shows I don't want to live in PG County, but I had my heart set on No. Virginia (Fairfax County Schools are supposed to be the best) or Howard County (Columbia, Ellicott City for schools). I'd like a stand-alone house with a decent yard. I cannot stand townhouse living.

Am I asking too much? Anyone have any input on a community with the criteria I listed above? Help!!!!
For someone commuting to Andrews AFB: I suggest you look at Dunkirk or Calvert County, MD: top-rated schools. Also Chesapeake Beach or LaPlata, MD (LaPlata is closer to major shopping than the other places named). You can read highly detailed discussion threads about these places on this website's "Maryland" forum. If you buy housing in No.Va. you will just be paying a premium for proximity to jobs in No.Va. and D.C. which you don't necessarily need as you don't work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 04:00 PM

8,052 posts, read 7,312,801 times
Arlington still has a lot of used car dealerships and pawn shops. You just have to drive about 3 or 4 blocks away from Wilson Blvd. Most of the transformation is occurring at the metro stops as they were 10 years ago, 20 years ago, and 30 years ago. The only area away from Metro that seems to be undergoing urbanization is the Colombia Pike corridor and they'll probably get light rail in the future.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:10 PM

29 posts, read 50,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
I totally agree--the area is going to the dogs, and fast. It's gotten incredibly crowded--especially due to hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens.

The people from New York and New Jersey all came down here and turned it into a cold, unfriendly and nasty area to drive.
Thank you!!!!! I'm so GLAD someone else finally said it! Between the illegal aliens, and the NY/NJ trying to turn DC into Manhattan, I've grown sick of it.

I've begun researching and I plan on moving within 2-3 years (or sooner if I can get my job to let me transfer.)

Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,098,301 times
The area has definitely gotten much better over the last 20 years. In our neighborhood we have a lot more small kids now. Shopping and dining are tremendously better. I had to laugh at the person who missed when everyone was in your business. That's the last thing I'd want. My kids like it so much that now that they've grown up they want to stay around here. The economy is good enough that they can. In a lot of places, such as the ones these old timers apparently have gone to, this isn't possible. To the disaffected old timers I say good riddance.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:03 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,132,509 times
Thanks for saying that CAVA.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:37 PM

8,052 posts, read 7,312,801 times
The discrepancy between tax revenue and expenditures at the state and federal levels are so great. I wouldn't count on the government/military party lasting forever. Many states are required by law to run balanced budgets, and they have a collective 350 billion dollar gap to close next year without the assistance from the federal government. The Feds have a 1.6 trillion dollar deficit that exceeds the discretionary budget of 1.4 trillion dollars, about 70% of which is the Pentagon and the various defense expenditures contained in the other departments.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,788,682 times
Sorry to bring up an old thread but there is something that I wanted to address.

For those who previously posted on here, you mentioned illegal immigrants as one of the plights effecting Northern Virginia. How do you know that they're illegal to begin with? Maybe you're just irritated because of the lack of cultural understanding. With that, it is both parties fault.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,920,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread but there is something that I wanted to address.

For those who previously posted on here, you mentioned illegal immigrants as one of the plights effecting Northern Virginia. How do you know that they're illegal to begin with? Maybe you're just irritated because of the lack of cultural understanding. With that, it is both parties fault.
If you want replies from people who posted in a thread from several years ago, I doubt you'll get any. Most of the posts came from drive-by posters or people who were only around for a week or two. Lots of times posters jump into a thread like this because they're mad about something and want a place to dump their anger. Or they're bored and they think a thread like this might be amusing. Most of them move on fairly quickly.

Last edited by Caladium; 06-08-2011 at 04:47 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 05:03 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,098,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I've always thought most of the Central Americans around here were on TPS.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:08 AM

37 posts, read 46,465 times
Twenty years:

- Traffic and congestion have gotten much worse
- General level of social "tension" has increased
- More diverse = more options for dining and entertainment and yeah!! (good espresso is now local)
- Cost of Living has increased
- A push for "upward mobility" - but this is emblematic of all of America, not just NoVA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or