U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-08-2011, 11:36 AM

3,189 posts, read 1,482,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I live in Loundon and love it here. I'm happy, my kids are happy, and I like all my neighbors. (even the one that drives to fast down our street) We are happy with the area,school,shopping and yes even the commute. While I wish the Greenway were cheaper my commute is under 30 minutes barring any accidents.

"Many people think that if they were only in some other place, or had some other job, they would be happy. Well, that is doubtful. So get as much happiness out of what you are doing as you can and don't put off being happy until some future date."

Dale Carnegie (1888-1955) American writer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmm219 View Post
That quote is total nonsense. I lived in NOVA for 10 years and hated every freaking minute of it...whether i lived in Arlington, FF or Loudoun, it ALL sucked.

Moved to Greensboro, NC...never, ever been happier in my life. People who stay in DC are just in a miserable SOB state of denial.

Go live anyplace else for 2 weeks and see the Quality of Life you have been missing...it was eye opening for us...
Moderator cut: Please do not call another a name, however subtly

I go on 2 week vacations several times each year. And while I enjoy staying in those places they are not home. The only thing I dislike about this area is the traffic.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-08-2011 at 12:42 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 12:24 PM

5,824 posts, read 5,953,230 times
Quote:
That quote is total nonsense. I lived in NOVA for 10 years and hated every freaking minute of it...whether i lived in Arlington, FF or Loudoun, it ALL sucked.

Moved to Greensboro, NC...never, ever been happier in my life. People who stay in DC are just in a miserable SOB state of denial.

Go live anyplace else for 2 weeks and see the Quality of Life you have been missing...it was eye opening for us...
I guess we are all made differently then because my MIL lives in Greensboro, and my husband lived there when I met him, and I can honestly say there is pretty much nothing I like about that city. Where to start? The sprawl - everything is spread out, so you absolutely need a car to get anywhere. Narrowmindedness - people who live in their little southern corner of the world and know little else. Run-down places with low-income households built right up against higher-income areas. Horrible, horrible schools. Very few bike trails. Few museums. It is several hours from the beach. They get cold in the winter and snow and ice, so it's not a warm climate like eastern NC.

ETA: For those of you who like HOAs, you would hate Greensboro. Cars on front lawns propped up on cinderblocks abound.

What did I like about Greensboro? They have a great children's museum. Their traffic is so light, it's a joke. The cost of housing is low. And yes, Brooklynborndad, they have the only non-Orthodox Jewish boarding school in the nation. Overall, I wouldn't live in Greensboro if you paid me. But as I said everyone is different. My husband lived there for many years and liked it a lot.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:43 PM

9,337 posts, read 15,363,054 times
Please remember this is not the City vs. City forum, or General US forum. Let's return to a discussion of NOVA, and leave the city comparisons to NC and elsewhere to their appropriate places on the site. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 PM

8,479 posts, read 5,869,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
And yes, Brooklynborndad, they have the only non-Orthodox Jewish boarding school in the nation. Overall, I wouldn't live in Greensboro if you paid me. But as I said everyone is different. My husband lived there for many years and liked it a lot.

bearing in mind what our good moderator has said, let me get in this - having spent an evening at the home of the AHA headmaster, with its atmosphere of a Jewish salon, perched in that lovely campus in the hills of NC - IF I and my wife were both paid TO BE FACULTY at AHA, I could well see living there. And I am generally not a fan of small southern cities.

I quite recognize thats a somewhat unusual situation and preference (which is why I hope our mod will allow this day dreamy comment).

but let me ask

"Run-down places with low-income households built right up against higher-income areas"

Segregation by income as a draw is certainly a common meme here, and across the country. Im not sure Im happy about that (note, I am probably a raving lefty by todays standards, despite my love for markets and especially the signaling benefits of prices)

Old 06-08-2011, 03:30 PM

5,824 posts, read 5,953,230 times
To stay on on topic, BrooklynBornDad, I sent you a DM. As for NoVA, I don't think that it has declined over the past 20 years. Yes, it has gotten more crowded and more expensive. But, I think that is better than the alternative. I'd rather live in a growing city than a dying city with depressed housing prices.

In addition, I don't think there are many places that haven't changed over the past 20 years. The only places that have probably improved are ones that were in poor condition to begin with.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 AM

13 posts, read 10,569 times
Quote:

I think quality of life is directly affected by the uncoordinated growth in the area, followed by this staunch NIMBY attitude of various transient folks. Just when I became excited about a large job creating and area improving project in our area, I read about the i395/95 project through Arlington being cancelled because of these fools opposition to it. When you factor the income and house prices, Arlington County is ironically one of the ugliest places on the planet, yet they are 'concerned' about the extension of vital roads.

They basically screwed over everyone else because of some misguided view of transportation (eye roll). Perhaps if the residents or Arlington actually had to go out and get legitimate wealth creating jobs, as in non-government or BS (nation bankrupting) contractor jobs like the rest of the country who pays their bills, they would appreciate the notion of expanding and improving one's area.

Take out the national cemetery and the pent and most Americans, let alone 99.999% of the world, have never even heard of the county, or want to know it once they have seen it. Crystal city, Ballston Commons, and the latest ghetto project in Arlington, the Potomac Yard Center, come on now, they're a joke. Heck, even sections of roads like I66 are dilapidated and look like something out of a 3rd world nation, the second they run through Arlington County.

I've lived in various countries, and I can without a doubt say that the DC area is one of the most boring places on the planet, when you factor income. NoVA typically has large houses and a handful of old or half-baked malls, that is about it. Oh and chronic traffic, because of the aforementioned reasons, wasting half our lives on roads or being forced to live in the ghetto (Arlington county).

If the rest of the country who pays our bills visited the area, they would be angry all right. Angry that after all the money that is pumped into this region and the high salaries, this is all we have to show for it. This anti-growth and refusal to improve our region, along with the each county to their own syndrome gets old fast, I actually cannot stand living here. Had it not been for the economy impacting everywhere else, I would have left in a heartbeat. Not to mention, all of the douche bags and prom queens that seem to have congregated in concentration, in the DC area burbs.

Before anyone gets their panties in a twist and starts crying like a spoiled NoVA child, this is my opinion, and I never said we cannot improve. However, in the years I have been here, things have not really changed. The latest ignorant partisan opposition to growth and improvement by Arlington illustrates that the area has a long way to go. Some of us are trying to improve our region and place it on the map. While others within a stone-throw of DC want to 'pretend' that it's a country town and pull a GOP in congress, objecting to anything and everything. Only to move on within a few years, as they are often transients, while the rest of us have to suffer yet again once their replacements move in.

Last edited by cvc7171; 06-09-2011 at 10:01 AM..

Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 PM

102 posts, read 96,526 times
I grew up here and went for away for college and grad school before coming back. I think that it has changed and that the definition of Nova has definitely expanded but I don't think that it has gone downhill.

cvc7171, what does Arlington gain from expanding the highways? If you live in Arlington, you can Metro in to DC or take a surface road into the District, you don't need to get on 66. Arlington objects to widening I-66 because it would destroy more neighborhoods. As for the condition of the roads, you should take it up with VDOT, Virginia doesn't grant its counties a whole lot of autonomy especially with the interstates.

cvc7171, I'm kind of curious as to what project you are talking that the anti-growthers killed.

How is proportion of workers in Arlington any different than the rest of the area in terms of "egitimate wealth creating jobs, as in non-government or BS (nation bankrupting) contractor jobs". It seems like you blame Arlington for a lot if the area's ills. Also, you many want to note for future rants that Potomac Yard Center is actually in the City of Alexandria not Arlington County.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:53 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,167,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc7171 View Post
I think quality of life is directly affected by the uncoordinated growth in the area, followed by this staunch NIMBY attitude of various transient folks. Just when I became excited about a large job creating and area improving project in our area, I read about the i395/95 project through Arlington being cancelled because of these fools opposition to it. When you factor the income and house prices, Arlington County is ironically one of the ugliest places on the planet, yet they are 'concerned' about the extension of vital roads.

They basically screwed over everyone else because of some misguided view of transportation (eye roll). Perhaps if the residents or Arlington actually had to go out and get legitimate wealth creating jobs, as in non-government or BS (nation bankrupting) contractor jobs like the rest of the country who pays their bills, they would appreciate the notion of expanding and improving one's area.

Take out the national cemetery and the pent and most Americans, let alone 99.999% of the world, have never even heard of the county, or want to know it once they have seen it. Crystal city, Ballston Commons, and the latest ghetto project in Arlington, the Potomac Yard Center, come on now, they're a joke. Heck, even sections of roads like I66 are dilapidated and look like something out of a 3rd world nation, the second they run through Arlington County.

I've lived in various countries, and I can without a doubt say that the DC area is one of the most boring places on the planet, when you factor income. NoVA typically has large houses and a handful of old or half-baked malls, that is about it. Oh and chronic traffic, because of the aforementioned reasons, wasting half our lives on roads or being forced to live in the ghetto (Arlington county).

If the rest of the country who pays our bills visited the area, they would be angry all right. Angry that after all the money that is pumped into this region and the high salaries, this is all we have to show for it. This anti-growth and refusal to improve our region, along with the each county to their own syndrome gets old fast, I actually cannot stand living here. Had it not been for the economy impacting everywhere else, I would have left in a heartbeat. Not to mention, all of the douche bags and prom queens that seem to have congregated in concentration, in the DC area burbs.

Before anyone gets their panties in a twist and starts crying like a spoiled NoVA child, this is my opinion, and I never said we cannot improve. However, in the years I have been here, things have not really changed. The latest ignorant partisan opposition to growth and improvement by Arlington illustrates that the area has a long way to go. Some of us are trying to improve our region and place it on the map. While others within a stone-throw of DC want to 'pretend' that it's a country town and pull a GOP in congress, objecting to anything and everything. Only to move on within a few years, as they are often transients, while the rest of us have to suffer yet again once their replacements move in.
Thank you having the courage to post this. I agree with many of your contentions (esp. that there's an unbelievably wide chasm between the way an unenlightened [heh] person would visualize a place with such a high concentration of 'highest median income' communities, and the way it actually looks). Oh, the irony of having to pay so much to live in such an ugly, visually, hard-to-live-in place.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 PM

I am not sure that expanding I66 wouldnt be good for the whole region BUT

A.most of the congestion in the region is NOT in that corridor
B. it would still be a long slow commute from PWC, etc if I66 were widened and
C. clearly Arlington is better off without I66 widened

Im not saying the opposition isnt nimbyism, but you cant blame whats wrong with the region on Arlington nimbyism

if anything, there non nimbyism by welcoming TOD has done more than anything to improve quality of life in the region.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Thank you having the courage to post this. I agree with many of your contentions (esp. that there's an unbelievably wide chasm between the way an unenlightened [heh] person would visualize a place with such a high concentration of 'highest median income' communities, and the way it actually looks). Oh, the irony of having to pay so much to live in such an ugly, visually, hard-to-live-in place.

the suburbs are blah, yeah.

The outer parts you can lift up your eyes from the sprawl and see the mountains. It aint denver, but its NOT visually hard to live in when you see the line of the bull run mtns and the blue ridge in the distance

the inner parts - and now I do mean Old Town Alex, and the newly rebuilt parts of arlington and their supporting older neighborhoods - are DELIGHTFUL. Really. Plus the river. I mean cmon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia