Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 08:17 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,658,670 times

Advertisements

While NOVA's decline has certainly accelerated over the past 20 years....the place has been going downhill for close to 50 years.

I think the opening of the Circumferential Highway in '63 (or '64?) marked the beginning of the slide...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,026,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying4anulife View Post
Thank you!!!!! I'm so GLAD someone else finally said it! Between the illegal aliens, and the NY/NJ trying to turn DC into Manhattan, I've grown sick of it.
Jeez.

I moved here from NJ. I couldn't take it there anymore (and I grew up there, though I've lived in several other places, including overseas). I can't stand Manhattan and can't get far enough away from it.

I always tell people how much nicer it is here than in NJ, for the most part, and how different traffic is, along with how people respond to you in traffic, to put it mildly.

I am so happy with how nice people are here, and can't identify with the C-D threads on how stuck-up and rude NoVa people are.

But look at me, from NJ, here I am bringing down your area, "wanting it to be like NJ."
How can you be so sure the people you gripe about are from NY and NJ, and want it to "be like Manhattan" here?
How about you talk to some of us and get to know us? Good lord.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,041,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
While NOVA's decline has certainly accelerated over the past 20 years....the place has been going downhill for close to 50 years.

I think the opening of the Circumferential Highway in '63 (or '64?) marked the beginning of the slide...
LOL I think it's been going downhill for the last 200 years. My oh my oh my how I long for the day when it was nothing but tobacco farms. When drinking water was brown and roads were "organic" (ok, they were muddy ruts--same thing). Oh the rapture of slaughtering a hog--in today's depressing world I must shop at Wegmans, boo hoo hoo. And how I envy the simple thrill of exercise back then--who needed a gym membership, you got your work out by digging a well. Oh how I long for the joys of digging a well, having never done so.

Last edited by Caladium; 06-08-2011 at 08:43 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 08:44 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,131,403 times
I live in Loundon and love it here. I'm happy, my kids are happy, and I like all my neighbors. (even the one that drives to fast down our street) We are happy with the area,school,shopping and yes even the commute. While I wish the Greenway were cheaper my commute is under 30 minutes barring any accidents.

"Many people think that if they were only in some other place, or had some other job, they would be happy. Well, that is doubtful. So get as much happiness out of what you are doing as you can and don't put off being happy until some future date."

Dale Carnegie (1888-1955) American writer.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:41 AM

7 posts, read 21,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
"Many people think that if they were only in some other place, or had some other job, they would be happy. Well, that is doubtful. So get as much happiness out of what you are doing as you can and don't put off being happy until some future date."

Dale Carnegie (1888-1955) American writer.
That quote is total nonsense. I lived in NOVA for 10 years and hated every freaking minute of it...whether i lived in Arlington, FF or Loudoun, it ALL sucked.

Moved to Greensboro, NC...never, ever been happier in my life. People who stay in DC are just in a miserable SOB state of denial.

Go live anyplace else for 2 weeks and see the Quality of Life you have been missing...it was eye opening for us...

Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,026,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmm219 View Post
Moved to Greensboro, NC...never, ever been happier in my life. People who stay in DC are just in a miserable SOB state of denial.
Not challenging you but what exactly do you like about it, esp. as compared to here? (I've never been to Greensboro; I have no idea what it's like!)

Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,073,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Not challenging you but what exactly do you like about it, esp. as compared to here? (I've never been to Greensboro; I have no idea what it's like!)
Greensboro is a mid-size city in central North Carolina. It's not very diverse, and many people who like the DC area would probably be bored there, but it has some very pleasant areas and could appeal to someone who prefers a slower pace. The major employers include some banks and insurance companies, as well as a few schools (including a well-regarded branch of the University of North Carolina), and you're only a few hours away from either the mountains or the Outer Banks.

In NE/Mid-Atlantic terms, a fair comparison might be to Hartford, Connecticut (without the state government presence or proximity to NYC).

Last edited by JD984; 06-08-2011 at 10:50 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,369,235 times
Quote:
I lived in NOVA for 10 years and hated every freaking minute of it...whether i lived in Arlington, FF or Loudoun, it ALL sucked.

Moved to Greensboro, NC...never, ever been happier in my life.
But in the Leesburg vs. Bristow thread:

Quote:
I live in Leesburg and commute into reston everyday
Moderator cut: Can't call someone that

Last edited by bmwguydc; 06-08-2011 at 12:41 PM..

Old 06-08-2011, 10:54 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,539,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Greensboro is a mid-size city in central North Carolina. It's not very diverse, and many people who like the DC area would probably be bored there, but it has some very pleasant areas and could appeal to someone who prefers a slower pace. The major employers include some banks and insurance companies, as well as a few schools (including a well-regarded branch of the University of North Carolina), .
its also home to the ONLY pluralist Jewish boarding school in the United States (or anywhere else, that I know of) American Hebrew Academy, America's Only Jewish Pluralistic College Prep Boarding School which adds at least ONE element of diversity

Old 06-08-2011, 10:55 AM

298 posts, read 679,982 times
I spent a good amount of time in NC. Anyone who has been to Greensboro knows that it's fine, certainly less crowded than NoVA, but has pluses and minuses when compared to NoVA. Strip mall sprawl is just as bad there, IMO, as it is most places in the US. Ultimately, given the choice, I'd pick Fairfax County over Greensboro any day, but I can understand those who would choose the other way.

If I were living in NC, there are many places I'd pick over Greensboro! I'd pick Asheville. Or Duck. But I digress. And I'd pick Key West over any of them.

To the original topic, I think it's indisputable that NoVA quality of living has gotten worse in the last 20 years. Words can't really describe how much traffic and sprawl have grown around here. It's still a good place to live, but IMO it was a better place to live in the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia