U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 04:39 AM

153 posts, read 121,156 times

Advertisements

This is the kind of thread that could persist for a long time. There will never be consensus among forum participants; however, I find it interesting to read the varying perspectives.

I have lived in northern Virginia since 2000, but routinely visited the area between 1984 and 2000. With that said, I find myself disagreeing with the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
When I came to Northern Virginia 20 years ago it was so nice. In fact it reminded me of many Cities I use to live in the Midwest. Move ahead to the year 2007 and it is not so nice anymore.

Here are my complaints:

They cut down thousands of trees all over Fairfax County for cookie cutter development. I am shocked every time I drive around how ugly everything is getting. It use to be somewhat rural and wooded here. The most successful job in Northern VA is clearing forests for subdivisions and strip malls.

Yes, there has been a tremendous amount of development in Fairfax and the amount of undeveloped land continues to dwindle. With that said, the county maintains an impressive park system with over 22,000 acres of protected land, as well as a working farm. Many residential neighborhoods (including my own) abut these park lands, and benefit from a number of hiking trails that offer a bit of solitude. Furthermore, while new developments may be bland and treeless at first, they eventually season with age. For example, my neighborhood was built in the mid-1960s with 7 different models of homes. Initially it featured no trees. Fast forward 50 years and the neighborhood is full of mature tree growth and the homes -- through remodeling and upgrades -- show various levels of unique character.

The people are kind of unfriendly. I use to think of this area as a Southern place. People use to be nice and friendly. Now, it is more like being in suburban New York. It is harsh with alot of rude people and neighbors that no longer seem to give a dam about each other. (of course with exceptions) We gave up on the block parties five years ago when they could not get anyone to show up. Even a wave between neighbors is uncommon now days. I talk to many people around here with the same observation.

This is the part that I disagree with the most. Obviously, it depends on the neighborhood and the people living there. With that said, I'm fortunate to live in an area where neighbors (of varying ethnicity and backgrounds) are friendly and kind to each other. We even have a block party each Spring. And I know that my neighborhood is not the only place in Fairfax where this behavior exists.

To much ethic diversity. (I know I am not being PC) The schools have gone down hill fast due to so many students who do not speak English. Everyone seems to break into their own little ethnic groups and ignore everyone else. There seems to be little mixing of people and the White people are now a minority in my town. I would welcome the ethnic diversity-- if people mixed regardless of their ethnic background.

The schools have a challenge before them, but I don't blame recent arrivals to the area. These are people who are seeking a better life for themselves and their families, just like my ancestors did over 100 years ago. The challenge is how to effectively educate, as well as how to effectively budget the education of, children from all different demographic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds in one classroom. I don't think FCPS or any other school division has answered that challenge satisfactorily, yet, but I also don't think FCPS is turning a blind eye to the reality before them.

As for the greater ethnic diversity in the county, I haven't witnessed the sweeping generalizations made by the OP.

Traffic is incredible and cost of living sky high. I want out!
There are some areas in which traffic is still manageable. The cost of living is due to the close proximity of the nation's capital, if the not the global capital in many respects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 11:04 AM

22 posts, read 12,549 times
I'm leaving Northern Viginia just at the time I started liking it, or at least got used to it. Here's what I think is good/not so good.

Good:
- greenery, lots of paths to walk and bike
- plenty of interesting & smart people
- employment & contracting opportunities (well, for some industries)
- good schools, in general
- lower taxes

Bad:
- expenses rise faster than incomes for as long as I can remember
- poor service
- growing immigrant populations *(see below)
- status-driven mentality ** (see below)
- lack of housing choices
- lack of quality development *** (see below)
- dysfunctional transportation system (metro / highways)

More Info:
growing immigrant populations - When you write something like this people are quick to accuse you of racism of course. I love meeting interesting and intelligent people from other countries and consider it one of the best things about the area. What I'm talking about is the daily grind of dealing with more and more people who don't speak the language and don't understand the cultural norms and apparently have little interest in learning them. 20 years ago fast food workers stopped speaking English, that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about day care workers, home contractors, substitute teachers, delivery people, medical support staff, etc.

status driven mentality - listen in on anybody's conversation in a restaurant or train and they're usually always talking about their job, salary, house, kids schools, home prices, etc. And you definitely don't have to ask anyone whether they went to an Ivy League or their kids are in private school or they work with someone high profile because they'll tell you within five minutes of meeting them. It spills over into their kids too so you end up with 10 year olds who won't be friends with someone who doesn't have an American Girl doll.

lack of quality development - If this area could coordinate and focus on a few new, really interesting developments, like a new town center, outdoor mall, waterfront area, etc, that would be really cool. Instead there's development on every single block, but its generic and sucks. And the new metro stations to me look like something the Soviet Union would build right before it collapsed.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:10 AM

2,855 posts, read 1,451,815 times
I'm tired of all of these immigrants moving in here and taking our jobs.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:19 AM

4,854 posts, read 2,912,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Many Saudi diplos live in Merrifield and shop Tysons for these reasons;

-its 20 mins from Dar Al-Jiriah is Baileys Crossraods (Thats 9|11 Anwar al alkawi's mosque)
Dar al-Hijrah Mosque :: The Investigative Project on Terrorism

The Saudi Cultural Embassy- where Diplos give women dispensation to drive here, teach men not to touch women dressed in western clothes , etc.. is here on Hiltop Drive off of Prosperity.
BTW, they pay no taxes

They also have a day school called Palm Tree for children in the neighborhood

Here is a report on lots of traffic violations/accidents by Saudi Diplos getting violations mostly in Merrifield and Dunn Loring and getting immunity
Diplomatic Drivers: Hundreds Pulled Over for Serious Offenses | NBC4 Washington

Saudis women are not in cute peace-symbol hijabs(thats the existing Pakistani Afghan population here) but wear full Burka and Niquab. How the hell do they drive?

Anyway it is Little Saudi around here.
None of this makes it close to a middle eastern country. I do not go looking but I do not remember seeing a remarkable amount of middle eastern people, shops or cultural displays in Tyson's.

We have an American Embassy in Paris. Does that make Paris America?

Old 07-06-2016, 11:20 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,830,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Many Saudi diplos live in Merrifield and shop Tysons for these reasons;

-its 20 mins from Dar Al-Jiriah is Baileys Crossraods (Thats 9|11 Anwar al alkawi's mosque)
Dar al-Hijrah Mosque :: The Investigative Project on Terrorism

The Saudi Cultural Embassy- where Diplos give women dispensation to drive here, teach men not to touch women dressed in western clothes , etc.. is here on Hiltop Drive off of Prosperity.
BTW, they pay no taxes

They also have a day school called Palm Tree for children in the neighborhood

Here is a report on lots of traffic violations/accidents by Saudi Diplos getting violations mostly in Merrifield and Dunn Loring and getting immunity
Diplomatic Drivers: Hundreds Pulled Over for Serious Offenses | NBC4 Washington

Saudis women are not in cute peace-symbol hijabs(thats the existing Pakistani Afghan population here) but wear full Burka and Niquab. How the hell do they drive?

Anyway it is Little Saudi around here.
I dont know the details about the Saudi Cultural Embassy, Palm Tree School or Dar ul Hijrah, but a couple of your statements are completely off the mark.

1) Majority of the Pakistani and Afghan women in this area do not wear the hijab. By and large they wear Western attire, and they do not cover their heads. Your statement here was very misleading.

2) Women in niqab are clearly a very tiny minority in Tysons Corner as well as other places in the general area. To say that you see women in burqa/niqaabs in substantial numbers is again total BS.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I'm tired of all of these immigrants moving in here and taking our jobs.

Get off your a$$ and try working hard for a change. You might be quite amazed!

Old 07-06-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArcadian View Post
I'm leaving Northern Viginia just at the time I started liking it, or at least got used to it. Here's what I think is good/not so good.

More Info:
growing immigrant populations - When you write something like this people are quick to accuse you of racism of course. I love meeting interesting and intelligent people from other countries and consider it one of the best things about the area. What I'm talking about is the daily grind of dealing with more and more people who don't speak the language and don't understand the cultural norms and apparently have little interest in learning them. 20 years ago fast food workers stopped speaking English, that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about day care workers, home contractors, substitute teachers, delivery people, medical support staff, etc.

Other than the day laborers, construction workers, old Asian grandparents and other senior citizens, the issue of immigrants not being able to speak English is massively overblown and exaggerated.

Immigrants in the food/service industry, and generally too,DO speak English for the most part - they may carry accents and struggle with a few words, but I dont think the issue is so big that one cannot communicate with them at all.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:31 AM

7,965 posts, read 9,718,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Other than the day laborers, construction workers, old Asian grandparents and other senior citizens, the issue of immigrants not being able to speak English is massively overblown and exaggerated.

Immigrants in the food/service industry, and generally too,DO speak English for the most part - they may carry accents and struggle with a few words, but I dont think the issue is so big that one cannot communicate with them at all.

Many new immigrants in the tech industry have strong accents, as well. In my experience, people who complain about "immigrants not speaking English" are usually just referring to people with strong accents.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:42 PM

642 posts, read 531,836 times
That's a good one!

Old 07-06-2016, 04:02 PM

2,293 posts, read 5,590,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
None of this makes it close to a middle eastern country. I do not go looking but I do not remember seeing a remarkable amount of middle eastern people, shops or cultural displays in Tyson's.

We have an American Embassy in Paris. Does that make Paris America?
Paris like america is a western country with western values. We do not have cultural embassys around the world training new incoming diplos not to assault native females or instructing our embassy reps when and under what conditions we can drive. I suspect that if their was a hit in run by a State employees grandchild in Paris, he would have to appear in a Parisian court, not pull immunity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or