U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 05:31 AM

9 posts, read 6,793 times

Advertisements

That it isn't always the "foreigners" who cause trouble...Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-01-2016 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 08:57 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,636,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
Wow! Back in the day when I lived near that area from 1994 to 2000, this area was considred an uber high snob glitzy area. Sounds like a lot has changed in the past 16 years!
Tysons was never a "uber high snob glitzy area," but the fact that it's now patronized by a significant number of Middle Eastern families doesn't make it any less upscale than it was two decades ago.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:14 AM

17,225 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
Tysons was never a "uber high snob glitzy area," but the fact that it's now patronized by a significant number of Middle Eastern families doesn't make it any less upscale than it was two decades ago.
The Middle East itself has its rich spots. Just go to Dubai and see.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:23 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,651,669 times
This entire thread, smh. If you don't like it, leave, no body cares and no one will miss you; especially if you want to blame all those immigrants.

My family moved here 30 years ago. It was just as many immigrants back then, mostly south asian, southeast asian, and some north african at that time was the big immigration movement. This area has always had lots of immigrants, it is you who probably have been living in an area with no economic development, likely pushed by NIMBY attitudes who now sees the immigrants because your neighborhood which was nice before it went stagnant is now the cheaper property in the area.

Either way, I'll keep the immigrants, and love to see YOU leave. Buh bye.

Just for clarity, you is speaking to the mentality above, not any particular commenter on this asinine and pointlessly divisive thread.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:44 AM

771 posts, read 1,208,324 times
Well, here's the way I see it, cities are never static, they either grow or decay. Much of the changes you see in NoVa are the result of growth. More people want to move here, both from the rest of the US and the world, so new houses and new neighborhoods need to be built, and that means development, new stores, new restaurants, etc. And the reason people are moving here is because there's jobs and hopes for a bright future.

The alternative is decay. Less jobs, people wanting to move away because they feel hopeless about a future here. That means a stagnating economy, construction slowing down, business closing. That's not what I personally want for Northern Virginia.

I suspect a lot of people that resent change fail to understand this and somehow wish for the area and the country to freeze in time like a photograph. But that's just not how real life works. You grow or you shrink, there's no middle ground.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:38 PM

22 posts, read 12,508 times
I did leave - I'm in LA now (Beverly Hills technically) and have been for several weeks. Maybe at some point I'll do a comparison because it has its plusses and minuses too. But regardless NoVa will always be my home and nearly 40 years of living there entitles me to have an opinion about it.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:15 PM

14 posts, read 7,375 times
I haven't lived here long but the only real problems I see are the general uptightness of the people. I'd say folks around here are more high strung than usual. Idk if it's work, traffic, or stress from keeping up with the Joneses, but it's there, and maybe that is a vibe people aren't privy too and may not have been as prevalent a few decades ago.

That and new development is largely soulless and you either get a townhouse, or a McMansion, and no reasonable in between, that can be frustrating I'm sure.

Otherwise I see an economically vibrant region with stuff to do with no particular struggles that the likes of Boston, Philly, NYC, and Atlanta don't have. Small town America is never more than 30-40 minutes away.

If you're that pissed that fast food workers have broken English, it's literally 5 minutes out of your day. I'm more faux outraged at the hep A from my frozen Egyptian strawberries from Tropical Smoothie.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:50 AM

4,229 posts, read 2,127,900 times
I don't know what the markers are for being "uptight" or "high-strung." Not sure either how one goes about keeping up with the Joneses these days. But I do know that there is quite a lot of housing stock that falls between townhouses and McMansions, and that collectively it all has as much "soul" as suburban neighborhoods anywhere else.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:35 AM

4,845 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArcadian View Post
I'm leaving Northern Viginia just at the time I started liking it, or at least got used to it. Here's what I think is good/not so good.

Good:
- greenery, lots of paths to walk and bike
- plenty of interesting & smart people
- employment & contracting opportunities (well, for some industries)
- good schools, in general
- lower taxes

Bad:
- expenses rise faster than incomes for as long as I can remember
- poor service
- growing immigrant populations *(see below)
- status-driven mentality ** (see below)
- lack of housing choices
- lack of quality development *** (see below)
- dysfunctional transportation system (metro / highways)

More Info:
growing immigrant populations - When you write something like this people are quick to accuse you of racism of course. I love meeting interesting and intelligent people from other countries and consider it one of the best things about the area. What I'm talking about is the daily grind of dealing with more and more people who don't speak the language and don't understand the cultural norms and apparently have little interest in learning them. 20 years ago fast food workers stopped speaking English, that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about day care workers, home contractors, substitute teachers, delivery people, medical support staff, etc.

status driven mentality - listen in on anybody's conversation in a restaurant or train and they're usually always talking about their job, salary, house, kids schools, home prices, etc. And you definitely don't have to ask anyone whether they went to an Ivy League or their kids are in private school or they work with someone high profile because they'll tell you within five minutes of meeting them. It spills over into their kids too so you end up with 10 year olds who won't be friends with someone who doesn't have an American Girl doll.

lack of quality development - If this area could coordinate and focus on a few new, really interesting developments, like a new town center, outdoor mall, waterfront area, etc, that would be really cool. Instead there's development on every single block, but its generic and sucks. And the new metro stations to me look like something the Soviet Union would build right before it collapsed.
As the child of immigrants, this does not offend me at all. To me, it is what makes a place like DC and NYC great, but these people have to assimilate. I'm not gonna move to Paris or Russia and mkae them adjust to me.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:15 AM

4,845 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Coming from someone who lived in NoVA for a year-and-a-half before moving to Pittsburgh to improve my overall quality-of-life I suppose one's interpretation of "downhill" will most certainly vary.

NoVA has grown, is growing, and will likely continue to grow for the foreseeable future, assuming Federal spending and job creation continues to be robust. I realize NoVA's economy is now somewhat diversified, but one thing that always concerned me about living there was just what would happen if a new GOP president were to be elected in 2012 who was hellbent on curbing our deficit through severe across-the-board Federal staffing cuts. Not only were hundreds of thousands of people in NoVA directly employed by the Government, but just as many were indirectly employed by them, as their employers (Lockheed Martin, Booz Allen Hamilton, BAE Systems, SAIC, CDM, HP, etc.) relied on the Federal government's loose pursestrings to remain going concerns. For as diversified as many in NoVA liked to brag their economy was, the area will be devastated horrifically should a fiscally-responsible presidential candidate ever ascend to executive office, accompanied by a "yes (wo)men" majority in Congress. Even in McLean that nice big Ernst & Young Building housed auditors and accountants who primarily serviced those private-sector Federal contractors who serviced the Federal government, which means, they, too, would get the ax. Those in leisure, retail, and hospitality would also be let go as many of their patrons were employed in these sorts of Government-dependent industries. NoVA's economy was just too incestuous with the Federal government and too reliant upon that continued relationship to have ever afforded me any "real" job security.

NoVA really wasn't an "eds and meds" place in the same manner that other cities like Pittsburgh are. In fact, Pittsburgh's economy is now so diversified that we are now home to the nation's largest proportion of educated immigrants relative to our general population---a title you'd think NoVA would have. (Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...ion-level.html) I looked at my employment options in NoVA when I became disillusioned with my prior position within the Federal government for various reasons, and even now I also look at openings there for time to time online. The vast majority are either directly or indirectly reliant upon Federal spending to remain viable. When people talk about NoVA not really generating any "real" GDP or wealth independently, they mean that the vast majority of its workforce is paid salaries borne from tax revenues from all over the country. In Pittsburgh our major employers are all NON-Government-dependent, and a study not long ago showed Pittsburgh as being 99/100 in regards to the percentage of the population employed by the Government. (Source and resulting discussion: http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/s...1/daily53.html, PGH ranked 99/100 for percentage of government jobs) Our major employers are PNC Bank, Westinghouse, Rue21, American Eagle, Dick's Sporting Goods, UPMC, Bank of NY Mellon, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Pittsburgh, Genco, Federated Investors, U.S. Steel, Heinz, FedEx, Bayer, ReedSmith, Google, Management Science Associates, and Verizon, amongst many others. PNC is growing so quickly on its own merit that they are in the process of building a new large skyscraper Downtown. Google is hiring like crazy here.

In NoVA I'd assume that 90% of the "top employers" are the Federal government, private-sector contractors who rely upon Federal contracts, firms that primarily service those contractors, and businesses that draw their revenues from the discretionary spending of the employees of the Government and Contractors. Yes, there were some exceptions to the rule such as INOVA and GMU, but by and large NoVA is taking a HUGE gamble putting nearly all of its eggs into the same basket---a basket that WILL have to become smaller at some point as we regain control of our Federal spending, at which point some of those eggs will fall out of the basket onto the floor and crack open.

In this sense, then, NoVA will NOT go downhill in an economic sense anytime soon, but it WILL eventually (Maybe in 2013? Maybe not until 2057?) once Federal spending is slashed if it doesn't work NOW to diversify its economic base more than it already has. Pittsburgh receives very little support from our Federal government's spending, yet we have a thriving economy right now---so much so in fact that President Obama chose our city to host the G20 Summit to showcase us as an example of a city that was managing to resist the recession on its own merit. (Source: Why Is the G-20 Summit Being Held in Pittsburgh? - TIME) NoVA may have a higher level of "full employment" than Pittsburgh, a city which admittedly churns out more educated minds than it can provide commensurate positions for, but I'll take being affordably underemployed in a city with a proven track record of weathering a recession like it's a blip on the radar WITHOUT Federal spending than being "fully employed" in a position within an area where if the Federal piggy bank breaks I'll have nowhere else to go even just to pay my bills.

I have much, much more to say on this topic in other non-economic areas as well---overall quality-of-life in NoVA, urban design of NoVA, etc., but I'm on my way out the door for work and will have to add more [and]clarify my position [later]....
Sorry but this is a jilted lover post. I don't think Pittsburgh compares to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or