U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 03:17 PM

23,568 posts, read 33,292,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
It is all about attitude in NoVa (and the horrible traffic of course).

I had lived in NoVa for 41 years before I moved 4 years ago. Weeks before I moved away, Hurricane Isabel came thru town. The main water facility lost power for something like 45 minutes. Well, that was enough time to make the water undrinkable until a million tests could be done to make sure it was safe. Remember????? My memory is foggy now, but it seems at least all of Fairfax County could not drink the water for several days.

Geez that was HUGE news. Take something away from the spoiled residents (sorry, it really was pathetic) that they take for granted and nobody could function. That really opened my eyes as to how hoity toity my neighbors and coworkers were. The DC area as a whole just assumed that whatever they wanted they could buy or get without a second thought.

3 weeks after that I moved to Hampton Roads (the house had been sold and this decision made months before) - where some places were without water and electricity for 10 days due to the same hurricane. I was so glad to leave that hustle and bustle of Nova - even though it was my home for all my life. I still visit, but cannot WAIT to leave that stress.
Actually i had sorta the same reverse experience. i lived in HR when Isabel hit and moved to NoVA a few months later. I really got sick of hearing NoVA kids talk about when Isabel hit how their house got a little water, no power for a couple hours, school being closed for two days. When I shared my experiences of Isabel being in the 757 (power gone for 3 days, losing my entire rear deck due to the flooding, missing 7 days of school, staying in a shelter with no power and little food and mean folks, picking up all the trees outta yards in York Co.) i put those NoVA kids in their place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 08:46 AM

17 posts, read 68,119 times
This is the most obsurd post I have ever read. Northern Virginia is one of the best places to live in the country. We have top ranked public schools, health care, police, etc., easy access to Northeast cities (NYC, Philly, Boston, Baltimore), quick drive to mountains, vineyards, several beaches, not to mention the cultural oasis of DC-restaurants, art and music...I can go on and on. Not to mention one of the lowest unemployment rates, tons of high paying jobs, highly educated population. I don't know where you live, but my neighborhood in West Springfield (Cardnial Forest) is like out of a movie-people walking their dogs, kids walking to school, everyone says Hi to each other, very safe. Sure, we have urban sprawl and traffic congestion, but what metropolitan area doesn't? And as far as being too diverse, well you should move. I personally rather have my kids grow up around all cultures instead of growing up in an all White town like I did where people are extremely closed minded.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 AM

555 posts, read 2,433,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVAGIRL View Post
This is the most obsurd post I have ever read. Northern Virginia is one of the best places to live in the country. We have top ranked public schools, health care, police, etc., easy access to Northeast cities (NYC, Philly, Boston, Baltimore), quick drive to mountains, vineyards, several beaches, not to mention the cultural oasis of DC-restaurants, art and music...I can go on and on. Not to mention one of the lowest unemployment rates, tons of high paying jobs, highly educated population. I don't know where you live, but my neighborhood in West Springfield (Cardnial Forest) is like out of a movie-people walking their dogs, kids walking to school, everyone says Hi to each other, very safe. Sure, we have urban sprawl and traffic congestion, but what metropolitan area doesn't? And as far as being too diverse, well you should move. I personally rather have my kids grow up around all cultures instead of growing up in an all White town like I did where people are extremely closed minded.
I wouldn't consider West Springfield very "ethnically diverse". Why don't you move to Georgtown South or Bayview in Manassas or Prince William and then tell me abuot how great it is to have your kids grow up around "all cultures". It's got nothing to do with being "closed minded", it's about your families safety. You live in a nice area, hence you are happy with it. A lot of us don't have the money to live there. Not all of NOVA is like your community. That is actually being a little "closed minded" to think like that. West Springfield is over 70% white, that is a far cry from being real diverse.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,797,208 times
I lived in very safe neighborhoods for all 41 years. My last 10 years were spent in Centreville where I felt VERY safe - and rarely locked my doors. However, crime and safety were never my biggest concerns because they were not an issue - I just never felt unsafe in the places I traveled. That was probably because the police ARE good in Fairfax and I just didn't go to places that were known crime areas.

How about the cost of living in NoVa??? Housing prices are ridiculous compared to much of the rest of the county. Who in the world WANTS to pay 500k for a stinking TH 30-45 min away from DC?? Don't tell me the jobs are better paying..... I agree that they are on the higher side... but what good does it do to make more money, be in a higher tax bracket, then dump it all into your housing? I strongly believe that the high housing prices far exceed the options for better paying jobs... does that make sense??

The sprawl in the DC area has got to be some of the worst in the country. I have done quite a bit of traveling and I have never seen anything like it.

I do agree the schools are great in NoVa. Crime seems pretty low compared to the high concentration of people. There are plenty of jobs. Overall though, it is JUST TOO MUCH of everything.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:29 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,701,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVAGIRL View Post
West Springfield is a great area; we rent a home here and value the friendly people, convenient roads/transportation, and good schools. However, the attitude that "Northern Virginia is one of the best places to live in the country" gets REALLY old after a few weeks of living here in Northern Virginia. Sure, there's many aspects about life here that are not available in other parts of the country, but that does not make it inherently superior to other places. Being close to DC, for example, is not always a positive thing.

In general, if people would temper their absolute insistence that Northern Virginia is superior to other regions of the U.S., then the benefits of living here would be easier to enjoy. No region is a one-size-fits-all.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:03 AM

192 posts, read 193,517 times
I sort of agree with "walker." People that think of NoVa as the center of the Universe tend to really have a stick up their arses. The job market is pretty good here (most job listings in the post are by headhunters or pay below the poverty level), and crime is relatively low compared with DC (as is crime in Chad). I often get amused at watching NoVans have difficulty with simple tasks, like starting a fire, or having cold beer. Let's not forget all of these "affluent" people, who haven't been to the dentist in twelve years. Why? Because they are to busy getting poked by the FC Government or spending 2500 bucks to fix an electrical problem on their SUV. Many people do live well here, and if you got the money, you can find good public schools. But if you think this is the best place to live in the beautiful US of A--you are sadly mistaken.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:58 AM

3,351 posts, read 5,942,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
I sort of agree with "walker." People that think of NoVa as the center of the Universe tend to really have a stick up their arses. The job market is pretty good here (most job listings in the post are by headhunters or pay below the poverty level), and crime is relatively low compared with DC (as is crime in Chad). I often get amused at watching NoVans have difficulty with simple tasks, like starting a fire, or having cold beer. Let's not forget all of these "affluent" people, who haven't been to the dentist in twelve years. Why? Because they are to busy getting poked by the FC Government or spending 2500 bucks to fix an electrical problem on their SUV. Many people do live well here, and if you got the money, you can find good public schools. But if you think this is the best place to live in the beautiful US of A--you are sadly mistaken.
I'll second all of that. I was sold on the wonderful-ness of the area by an employer who really wanted me to come out here and take a job. He did warn me that my hefty salary increase wasn't that much of an increase, once you factor in the cost of living, and he did mention that the traffic was bad. But nothing could prepare me for actually living here in NoVa. If it's not rent or a mortgage bleeding you dry, it's the government nickel-and-diming you with things like a property tax on your car, of all things.

But oh, yes, so many people here think their poop doesn't stink because they live in wonderful, expensive, prestigious NoVa. I've never lived around so many shallow, pretentious, self-centered materialists. Yeah, you just keep on living in that million-dollar McMansion with no personality, and dodging potholes as you drive alone in your 3 MPG Hummer.

Sure, the job market is good here. That's why there are so many people here. The downside of that is ... there are so many people here! And most of them are rude yuppie wannabes and insufferable narcissists. That makes dealing with the constant traffic snarls, the complete lack of customer service, and the general rudeness of this area all the worse.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:25 PM

192 posts, read 193,517 times
"complete lack of customer service" is another valid point. If you go to a middle of the road restaurant, you are at the mercy of some high school kid and you just gotta hope for the best. Some times, they manage to not leave your salad under the heat lamp for too long; other times, you may be less fortunate. Let's face it: franchise food sucks. Ethnic food is popular, but I sure don't know many Mexicans, who will shell out 40 bucks for dinner for two. I love Thai food, and there are some good ones around here, but geez--it costs 15 times more than it does in Thailand.

Do you really have to weigh 300 lbs. to work for an HMO in this area?

Old 11-27-2007, 09:00 PM

8 posts, read 7,337 times
I just went up to Leesburg today and its changed so much- even since I last visited which was only 3 years ago! People just aren't home folks anymore. That old Southern way of life is gone. Its very rushed. Some people barely speak English. I think that Northern Virginia is very depressing to me and I'm glad I no longer live there.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 PM

17 posts, read 68,119 times
Wow, talk about judgemental and cynical...none of you know me but just because I love living in NOVA you assume I am a rich, arrogrant jerk. I am a transplant from a small town in upstate NY and have lived in NOVA for 8 years. I came with $750 in my pocket and stuggled to make a living here by working in retail. I quit my full time job to go back to school at GMU to finish my BA and racked up $35K in debt while working a part-time job and working as a live-in nanny all while attending school full-time. I am very blessed to be working as a defense contractor and live in a 2 bed condo with my husband of one year. I travelled a lot at my previous job and came to really appreciate where I live. But, I guess I am a spoiled NOVA brat...go figure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or