Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:04 AM

67 posts, read 336,890 times

Advertisements

Good day. Whenever we go down to the District we generally end up at The Capital Brewry. It is the one restaurant we know.

What others would you recommend?

We are middle aged folk ( mid 50s ) and looking for a good meal. We have seen lots of folks eating at the different dining areas around the Museums. Are there other places around the Mall area that you go to??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 07:51 AM

281 posts, read 1,008,481 times
Old Ebbitt Grill is always nice. It's over by the White House. (Old Ebbitt Grill)

Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
There's a lot of stuff in Penn Quarter/Gallery Place. Just walk up 7th Street. I always liked lunch at Oyamel (fancy Mexican), and then there's Teaism, Gordon Biersch, Fado's, RFD, Matchbox, Mehak, Ella's, Elephant & Castle, Clyde's, Zaytinya, and numerous others nearby. I've also heard that the food court at the Old Post Office building is good, too. South of the Mall you're more limited to little sandwich shops inside office buildings.

You could also eat inside one of the museums. I usually get gelato at the National Gallery and I've heard that the restaurant in the American Indian museum is really good.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:30 AM

179 posts, read 459,412 times
My husband and I found Ella's Woodfired Pizza by accident; it's right across the street from the Metro stop for the Spy Museum (which I don't recommend, we thought it would be more compelling). We had a butternut squash tortellini there that was probably one of the best dishes I've ever had. Their pizzas and salads are also good.

We are very new to the area so I don't have more to offer you about restaurants in the District but I'm sure reading your thread! We're heading back to do some museum browsing this coming weekend and are always looking for a good place for lunch. Good luck with your dining adventures!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:20 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
There's a lot of stuff in Penn Quarter/Gallery Place................I've also heard that the food court at the Old Post Office building is good, too. .

Where exactly is Penn Quarter? And where is the old post office bldg? Thanks!

Old 03-10-2009, 11:36 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Where exactly is Penn Quarter? And where is the old post office bldg? Thanks!
Penn Quarter is the name developers gave to the area around the Archives metro (between Chinatown and the National Mall). I'm not sure of exact boundaries, but I'd say the Mall to the south, F Street to the north, and then 5th and 9th streets to the east/west.

Penn Quarter Restaurants (http://godc.about.com/od/pennquarterrestaurants/Penn_Quarter_Restaurants.htm - broken link)

The Old Post Office as at 11th & Pennsylvania
Old Post Office Pavilion

Old 03-10-2009, 01:04 PM

280 posts, read 1,041,516 times
As far as eating at museums I've heard good things about the Native American museum cafe but never eaten there.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:54 PM

63 posts, read 171,719 times
My Husband loves the DC Chophouse at 509 7th st. NW. It is next to the Museum of Crime and Punishment and down the street from the Spy Museum and the National Portrait Gallery (my favorite museum). It's not my favorite part of town (don't really know why), but those three museums are great. These museums aren't on the mall and the first two mentioned do charge admission but we loved them all. Have fun if you ever go!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Palamino's in the Ronald Reagan building on Penn Ave.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:04 PM

29 posts, read 65,843 times
Love Elephant & Castle..Good for a pint and food is good..you can catch some football as well...Also...Occidental is good. Top of the Washinton Hotel is good for cocktails and apps. We often go and have a drink in the Round Robin Bar at the Willard..>That's fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia