U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:51 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,903,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIANEandSNICKERS View Post
....For such a cutting edge, forward thinking area it is very backwards when it comes to pets....

Wow, so one is "backwards" to not want one's property damaged by pets?

I've been renting houses for years and I, as any landord can tell you, big dogs can do an incredible amout of damage. Every landlord has horror stories about damaged property.

I am "forward thinking"...I'm always thinking forward to the next tenant and how I DO NOT want to spend thousands to put the place back together before I can re-rent it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 05:58 PM

722 posts, read 1,757,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Wow, so one is "backwards" to not want one's property damaged by pets?

I've been renting houses for years and I, as any landord can tell you, big dogs can do an incredible amout of damage. Every landlord has horror stories about damaged property.
You know, we had big digs growing up. They were wonderful and we loved them and we took good care of them. But you're right - they did damage to my parents' house. They didn't mean to, but they made messes on the floors and slobbered on the walls and scratched up the doors. I can understand landlords not wanting to deal with that on top of the usual wear and tear.

Plus, if the OP is looking for a 1BR, then she's clearly looking for a small space...and small space plus big dog is kind of a recipe for trouble. And again, I say that as someone who has had and loved big dogs.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,885 times
Bada Bing, Bada Boom - http://www.livethewellington.com/

Old 08-06-2009, 10:30 AM

75 posts, read 72,133 times
I have almost no respect for most dog owners. Most do not even know their local leash law. Here, it is 6 feet. That doesn't mean you can walk down the trail with your dog on a 20 feet leash, weaving back and forth across the trail.

You may think your place doesn't stink; but guess what? It smells like urine and wet dog.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,885 times
How would my place smell like dog urine if my dog has never peed indoors?

Last edited by Incy; 08-07-2009 at 07:42 AM..

Old 08-08-2009, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 33,121 times
It's not in Arlington, but Gainsborough Court in Fairfax City allowed dogs up to 100 lbs a couple of years ago. I don't know if they still do, though.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 PM

3,292 posts, read 10,593,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkymiss View Post
It's not in Arlington, but Gainsborough Court in Fairfax City allowed dogs up to 100 lbs a couple of years ago. I don't know if they still do, though.
How is the enforcement of restrictions like this on some of these complexes? I think that the apartment I had in Alexandria had a limit of 55 lbs, but there were some huge dogs wandering around that complex. It's not like they did "apartment checks", so it was easy to have a pet and just not tell them to avoid the deposit and pet rent.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 PM

75 posts, read 72,133 times
Give them an inch...Same everywhere. THirty pound limit mean 55 to them. We had some poeple with their dog in our clubhouse the other day.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:26 AM

86 posts, read 215,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I would rather have the 7 illegal immigrants in the house, than pets. Pets are dirty and belong outside. The dog urine kills plants and trees. Illegal immigrants dont poop out in the courtyards.

im pretty sure your alone on this one. And im also sure that id rather pay for 1 dog that loves me and i can watch it grow old rather than 7 dogs that i pay taxes for and they will still break into my car at night. I think you got them flip flopped VRE.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:33 PM

9 posts, read 33,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
How is the enforcement of restrictions like this on some of these complexes? I think that the apartment I had in Alexandria had a limit of 55 lbs, but there were some huge dogs wandering around that complex. It's not like they did "apartment checks", so it was easy to have a pet and just not tell them to avoid the deposit and pet rent.
Beats me. But I bet if you have a dog over the limit and have a neighbor who doesn't like you, the rental office will find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia