U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 AM

5 posts, read 25,744 times

Advertisements

I moved to Arlington 2 years ago with a large dog. I have lived all up and down the east coast and I have never before experienced such a difficult time trying to find an affordable apartment with a pet. I have been subjected to having to live in one of the worst apartment complexes (Buckingham Village) in the area because it was one of the only ones that I could afford and would take my dog. For such a cutting edge, forward thinking area it is very backwards when it comes to pets. Sure...they will let a family of four move into a one bedroom apartment or close their eyes to having 7 illegal immigrants boarding together in an apartment but just try and move in with a dog. I'm moving to Alexandria when my lease is over with. Arlington - NOT PET FRIENDLY!!!!!!!!!! and I'm moving!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 06:52 AM

2,721 posts, read 6,268,148 times
So the apartments aren't pet friendly, but I'm sure the city is. Look at all the dog parks in that city: http://www.arlingtondogs.org/parks.shtml

Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,082,549 times
Yeah that's a strong statement just because you couldn't find a place that would take dogs. If you hate where you live then move. I might suggest trying to rent a house versus an apartment or moving further out, especially if you have a car. The place I stay at in Oakton is very dog friendly I have a horrid commute but hey you can't live in this area without sacrificing SOMETHING.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:14 AM

908 posts, read 2,924,403 times
Honestly, large dogs in an apt. or condo is not the best situation for a dog. A large dog needs more physical space. A house rental would be the way to go--for you and the large dog.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:23 AM

30,223 posts, read 67,365,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
but hey you can't live in this area without sacrificing SOMETHING.
I keep on hearing this time and time again on the NoVA forum from numerous members as if it's some sort of "badge of honor." Why should anyone be "expected" to live miserably in one facet of their lives just to live in the area? I've never seen another area where people are perfectly content with living sub-standardly just for the "benefit" of living in the area.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:59 AM

3,291 posts, read 10,589,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I keep on hearing this time and time again on the NoVA forum from numerous members as if it's some sort of "badge of honor." Why should anyone be "expected" to live miserably in one facet of their lives just to live in the area? I've never seen another area where people are perfectly content with living sub-standardly just for the "benefit" of living in the area.
I don't think it's a "badge of honor", it's the reality of living in a desirable area (NoVA isn't alone, here). If you want to live in a popular area, you'll have to pay for it. If you can't pay for it in terms of more rent/mortgage, then you have to trade off other things (smaller apartment, a little further out, etc). Same reason you see people cramming into small, dingy studios in NYC or moving to Queens. It's not like they are just dying to live in a crappy apartment, but they can't afford Park Avenue.

For the OP, sounds like you just picked the wrong tradeoff. If you move a little further out or away from a metro station you should be ok. A lot of complexes allow dogs, but many charge pet rent or at least a large deposit.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:01 AM

2,721 posts, read 6,268,148 times
Quote:
Where have you lived where it is cheap to live, there are tons of high paying jobs, there isn't any traffic, and where there are lots of activities to partake in?

I'm only 28 and I've already come to realize that nothing in life is perfect. Something has to give. It reminds me of that saying: You can have it fast, you can have it high quality and you can have it cheap, but you can only have 2 out of the 3 you pick which ones

Old 03-13-2009, 09:33 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,004,512 times
Quote:

It depends on what you're sacraficing. If you want to live in an area with wonderful job opportunities then you have to expect and accept certain levels of crowdedness, traffic, etc.

The worst offenders are people who own condos. Some of these people think because they own their place that no one else can make a sound in the building. I'm sorry, you live in a multi-unit building, not on a 50 acre farm in the country. You're going to need to tolerate a little noise.

By the way, I made the trek from Northeast Pa (grew up in Edwardsville) to NOVA three and a half years ago for a job opportunity and except for family, I don't know how I could go back (on a permanent basis)...though I'd like to someday have a lakehouse on Lake Wallenpaupack. What a beautiful lake!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:42 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,366,034 times
I would rather have the 7 illegal immigrants in the house, than pets. Pets are dirty and belong outside. The dog urine kills plants and trees. Illegal immigrants dont poop out in the courtyards.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:08 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,830,715 times
Quote:
LOL, it isn't the circumstances that are different, it's the attitude towards them. You've brought up a really good tip for newcomers, so I hope you don't mind if I copy this quote to the Sticky for Helpful Tips For Newcomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia