U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 PM

34 posts, read 140,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAH View Post
Thanks so much for the info! LOL about AKA Geico... It must be out in the middle of a field or something. :-) Stafford Lakes looks pretty good, Battleground Estates are higher priced but oooh they look so beautiful. If we could get out of here with our shirt we might be able to swing something in that area...
This is very helpful, I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out! Good to know about traffic south of the River EricD. I went back and examined the map and it appears there is only one way over, that makes sense that it would be jammed.
Interesting about the TJ's and Ukrops stores. What is Ukrops anyway? Is it like TJ's? I looked at their website and it wasn't very revealing. They had an ad for Coke so I assume it's a regular store selling big brand foods?
So does anyone have an idea for what the elementary schools around Stafford Lakes and also Battleground Estates are like? I am also wondering what are the areas near town are like? I see some nice looking homes for sale in the BelAir area.
Thanks for four feedback!
Also look at Cardinal Forest about 5 min or less to GEICO..Nice subdivision,
Houses used to be in the high 400k to 500k now they have drop in the mid
200k to 400k, good amount of young kids and parents in the subdivision..
Located right off of Rt17...Has HOA but not a bad one, low fees and they
don't harrase..I know I live there..If I can help, send me PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 AM

126 posts, read 306,301 times
Thank you Readytoretire! I'll check it out! My husband would love to be close to work, that's what he's used to anyway, right now he has a five minute drive. Spoiled! LOL

Old 04-29-2009, 06:10 AM

250 posts, read 821,414 times
Well where in so cal are you coming from? We just moved from san diego. It will be different here, but it is nice. a nice change of pace for awhile. There is no trader joes or whole foods here (I know bummer) but there is ukrops which I have not tried yet to compare. Stafford and spotys schools rank about the same and if you're coming from san diego area (good districts like poway/coronado) it WILL be lower standards here unfortunately unless you move up to fairfax which from what I can tell with research has been the only district here that would have compared to ours in cali. We came from a 10/10 rated school to a 5/10 (which is a typical score here) and you can definitely tell. Most people in fburg commute somewhere. half of our street goes up to DC. Good thing is there is a plethora of options to commute. My husband works in dahlgren and it takes about 40 min but it is ENJOYABLE. Compared to southern ca traffic they don't have as much here and people will complain about it to you and warn you about where to live or not to live based on commute. It isn't that bad and even when the 95 gets plugged you will likely be used to it if you did any driving in so cal .
There is a ton of new homes popping up and you'll get more for you $$ out here. We have a 5 bed 4 bath home, 3500 sf, fenced backyard (.40 acre) live down the street from the elem school...all for what we had in so call of 1500 sf 3 bed 2 bath home.
You will like it here, its different but very pleasant. The people have been wonderfully welcoming (neighbors brought us cookies, plants....so sweet). Hope your move goes well.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:17 PM

126 posts, read 306,301 times
Sorry for the late response, thank you for the great info on F'burg VA! We just returned from a scouting trip out there and do like the area, it's very lush and green. We have not yet fully decided if we will move to F'burg, Virginia Beach or Southern MD but if we do actually sell our San Diego House we will most likely need to recuperate from our losses somewhere else besides So Cal. Thanks again and glad to hear some positive info about F'burg since a lot of what I have been hearing is more negative things lately.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:04 PM

34 posts, read 140,974 times
Hi,
You might want to look in Cardinal Forest (where I live) most of the houses
were build in the late 90s, have 3000sq ft, They used to go for over 400K but
not with the economy they are in the low 3s..Most of the lots are about
1/2 acre or better.. About 3 mins to GEICO...If you have any questions
feel free to email me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAH View Post
Thanks so much for the info! LOL about AKA Geico... It must be out in the middle of a field or something. :-) Stafford Lakes looks pretty good, Battleground Estates are higher priced but oooh they look so beautiful. If we could get out of here with our shirt we might be able to swing something in that area...
This is very helpful, I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out! Good to know about traffic south of the River EricD. I went back and examined the map and it appears there is only one way over, that makes sense that it would be jammed.
Interesting about the TJ's and Ukrops stores. What is Ukrops anyway? Is it like TJ's? I looked at their website and it wasn't very revealing. They had an ad for Coke so I assume it's a regular store selling big brand foods?
So does anyone have an idea for what the elementary schools around Stafford Lakes and also Battleground Estates are like? I am also wondering what are the areas near town are like? I see some nice looking homes for sale in the BelAir area.
Thanks for four feedback!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:54 AM

30 posts, read 101,143 times
Default relocating from CA to Fredericksburg

I've been looking at Fredericksburg since 1) it seems to be the only one with "small town" feel and charm in the entire D.C. area and 2) it's not far from my parents in Charlottesville, VA. My poor husband would be the one commuting into D.C. so I think VRE is the way to go (I remember those D.C. freeways.. arrg!! and I used to live in LA!).

I wish there was an older, historic, safe, part of Fburg with great elementary schools. Looking at greatschools.net I see that Chancellor is the one with the most positive responses. I too have become accustomed to Trader Joes and great farmers markets. I just want to avoid gang activity, have a nice tree-lined street and friendly (non-Lush Rimbaugh) neighbors.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:45 AM

738 posts, read 3,561,145 times
Price Range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia