U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 16,444 times

Advertisements

Hello to all posters and readers.

I have read with interest a great many of the recent and not-so-recent threads about living and working in NOVA and DC. While I've certainly gained a lot of good info, I'd like to get some feedback on my personal situation, via the following "If you were me" question.

If you were me, and you'd just been offered a job in the McLean/TC area (near 123/Beltway/Toll Road), where would you live?

Now, that's an awfully open-ended question which could be answered a million different ways depending on one's personal situation. And, so, here is mine!

* I am a married mid-50s guy just starting his second career
* I have a decent pension (for now) and airline pass privileges (for now) from my first career
* Our permanent home is (for now) in metro Atlanta
* We are not close to paying off our mortgage in Atlanta, and given the state of current housing market, if we were to sell the house now we would not realize a significant profit (at least we're not underwater - yet)
* I have been in my current job in Cedar Rapids, IA for less than six months
* I currently rent an apartment in Cedar Rapids and fly home to Atlanta almost every weekend (however, with all the current schedule cutbacks, it is getting more and more difficult to do via my pass privileges - not complaining, just stating my current reality!)
* Our children are grown - one is married and lives in metro Atlanta about 15 miles from our permanent home, while the other is married to a fine young Navy man and so they will not be in a true "permanent" location until/unless he leaves the Navy, and then his roots will probably take them to CA
* My daughter and her Navy husband will be based at Ft. Meade, MD for three years starting this summer
* Our metro Atlanta child has recently presented us our first grandchild, and a second is on the way
* Almost all of our friends are in metro Atlanta

Now, I don't want to bias any of the responses, but among the scenarios I am contemplating are (1) renting/buying a condo near the McLean/TC work location (e.g., Gates of McLean condos) and continuing to fly home to Atlanta as often as possible, (2) renting/buying a condo in DC and doing the reverse commute thing, along with continuing to fly home to Atlanta as often as possible, or (3) renting/buying a place to live in NOVA or nearby MD and dealing with commute quality (or lack thereof), along with continuing to fly home to Atlanta as often as possible.

As you can see from my scenario descriptions, it seems likely that we will keep our Atlanta house until the market improves, and even then probably buy some kind of housing on the other side of Atlanta to be near friends.

Of importance to me are proximity/ease of access to DCA/IAD/BWI airports, commute time to McLean/TC (I did 1+ hour each way daily when I lived/worked in Atlanta, and I just don't desire to do that again - my current commute in Cedar Rapids is 3 minutes to work and 5 minutes back home during the "rush hour") and access to restaurants, culture and attractions for those periods of time that my spouse or other family members are staying with me.

'Nuff said. I'll try to for now. I eagerly await your comments (besides those about the length of this post).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 11:46 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,100,469 times
I would rent a condo in the Tyson's area. That area is VERY congested and I'm afraid that a reverse commute is only a reverse commute for so many miles--then you hit the mass of traffic coming in from all directions. Living in the Tyson's area also put you at a reasonable enough distance to Dulles and not so bad for DCA should that have better flights. BWI is still pretty far. I'd look at the "daily" grind over everything else. Think about how you will feel M-F sitting in traffic versus the once a week trip to the airport to get to Atlanta.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:50 PM

122 posts, read 190,193 times
I would live in Mclean/Tysons area. There are two great malls there. One of them has all of the regular shops like any other mall and the other has all of the couture name brands (I call it the princess mall.) There are many great non chain restaurants there as well as a few chains. Traffic during rush hour getting in and out is bad since it is a major throughway. My only complaint is that you have to go to Vienna to go grocery shopping. There are no immmediate local food stores. I've lived at the Lincoln in Mclean before.

I would never live in DC. But that's just my opinion. Plus everyone has caught on to the reverse commute thing. There is still traffic going that way. I used to always get caught in stand still traffic around the Arlington area on Rte 66 E to DC at 8:00 at night. We have a long rush hour.

I wouldn't commute from MD when you could live in NOVA. There would be many stand still traffic backups. The commute could easily be an hour with rush hour traffic.

You could also try Vienna but it once took me half an hour during rush hour to get to Tysons corner from there and it's just 15 miles away. You just get used to traffic.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:38 PM

80 posts, read 206,720 times
Tysons corner is going to be a war zone until 2013 while the Metrorail and Beltway HOT Lanes are constructed. Gates of McLean is trapped between both projects. Would consider somewhere else. They are closing lanes soon on Route 123 for several years.....try town of vienna area.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,622,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
I would live in Mclean/Tysons area. There are two great malls there. One of them has all of the regular shops like any other mall and the other has all of the couture name brands (I call it the princess mall.) There are many great non chain restaurants there as well as a few chains. Traffic during rush hour getting in and out is bad since it is a major throughway. My only complaint is that you have to go to Vienna to go grocery shopping. There are no immmediate local food stores. I've lived at the Lincoln in Mclean before.
There's a Harris Teeter that just opened in January that is close to Tysons (but with a McLean zip code), so one wouldn't need to go to Vienna for grocery shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
You could also try Vienna but it once took me half an hour during rush hour to get to Tysons corner from there and it's just 15 miles away. You just get used to traffic.
I don't think there's any part of Vienna (the town or the unincorporated portions of the county with Vienna mailing addresses) that is 15 miles from Tysons. Tysons itself has a Vienna mailing address, and there are other neighborhoods with Vienna addresses that are 5-20 minutes from the heart of Tysons.

Last edited by JD984; 03-15-2009 at 03:05 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysons2008 View Post
Tysons corner is going to be a war zone until 2013 while the Metrorail and Beltway HOT Lanes are constructed. Gates of McLean is trapped between both projects. Would consider somewhere else. They are closing lanes soon on Route 123 for several years.....try town of vienna area.
The reason I mentioned Gates of McLean is that it is literally across the street (123) from where I would be working. I could walk to work when the weather was pleasant.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:58 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,045,591 times
I'd probably rent, not buy, the condo across the street from your office, or one not too far away. That minimizes your commute, and enables you to get to either Dulles or DCA pretty quickly. I'd forget about BWI for the weekly flight -- if you're heading out on Friday afternoon or evening, the traffic from Tyson's to BWI would be horrendous. There is absolutely no reason to live in either DC or Maryland if you're working at Tyson's, especially given your family situation.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:01 PM

206 posts, read 400,322 times
I would not choose to live in Tysons Corner unless you want to buy a property to hold on to for maybe 10 years, when the metro will be built and hopefully things start becoming more walkable (and thus making your property more valuable).

Tysons right now is nightmarish traffic during the morning and evening. Nearly the entire area empties out at night. As others pointed out, conveniences such as grocery stores would be a hike to get to.

If you value equal access to all area airports and a short commute, I'd start looking at McLean, Falls Church city, and Arlington. My reverse commute from Ballston to Tysons is only 25 minutes at 7:30am. There is traffic, but there are multiple routes to get from A to B. I think a commute from Vienna will take just as long as a commute from Arlington. Having closer access to Metro will make getting to DCA a breeze. The Washington Flyer leaves from West Falls Church station and goes direct to Dulles every half hour as well. MARC runs from Union Station to BWI, but not frequently. Having the Dulles Access road makes driving to Dulles from inside the Beltway almost a non-issue. Driving to BWI, depending on the time, would be problematic from anywhere within VA.

I would also suggest not living in MD or DC. It won't help your commute and won't be any cheaper. The only thing MD could offer you is closer access to BWI. If you're looking for nightlife, rather than live in DC move to somewhere in the Ballston-Rosslyn corridor, which has lots of restaurants and bars with easy access to downtown DC via Metro.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:02 PM

Claremarie,

Not that I could afford it, but...

I'm curious to know why you would rent, not buy.

Are we not yet at the bottom of the slide of the DC real estate market? Or is this particular location problematic, like tysons2008 has suggested, and will be for a long time?

Old 03-15-2009, 05:50 PM

931 posts, read 3,465,403 times
I would recommend to live in Tysons Corner.

There is a Harris Teeter and Safeway Grocery store in Tysons Corner now.

Both a brand new stores. They are very convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or