U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,000 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm currently living in Atlanta, and have a job offer in Fredericksburg. I would like to live a little closer to DC, maybe somewhere in between and could use some recommendations.

I'm 30 SWM, making good $$ but hoping to keep rent to around $1000/month on rent. I'd like to live closer to DC because I enjoy the activities of the big city (museums, concerts, sports, night life), but I hear about how terrible the traffic can be. On the plus side I should be doing a reverse commute since I'm heading south in the morning. I don't know much about DC/VA, is there anywhere fun to live by the water? Woodbridge or Quantico? Or should I just keep going north closer to the Alexandria area?

Suggestions welcome! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 03:21 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,092,834 times
Fredericksburg is pretty far south. Even in a reverse commute (of which only portions would be on the reverse), it is a long way. For instance, I live in Woodbridge, which is pretty far out in the burbs and it takes ME 30 minutes to get to some spots in Fredericksburg (on a good day!).

I think you should look to moving as close as you can to your job, make your M-F commutes WONDERFUL, and spend your weekends getting in and out of DC for fun. It's just not worth the hassle to live so far north and put up with that drive. I'd just deal with the driving on the weekends.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily call Quantico and Woodbridge "fun". A lot of people really enjoy living around Occoquan which is right on the water and a cute little town. But, at that point, I think you'd just do better in Fredericksburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia