U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:09 PM

15,402 posts, read 17,437,943 times
There's always the possibility the joggers stumbled upon a drug deal, or maybe a little bit of espionage. I could see the bridge being used as a drop off point (sort of like in the Robert Hansson case).

There are a few problems with this theory, however. The time of day still seems unlikely, and drug dealers wouldn't bother beating people up-- they'd have guns and simply shoot them. And they wouldn't leave a suvivor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 PM

4,619 posts, read 3,646,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
Wow, no holes in that theory. Now that you've explained there's a 14-15 mile radius around Sterling Park filled with nothing. Just one big bare empty field, huh?

If your theory is that some kids from Sterling got bored with petty crime and decided to murder someone for kicks... why wouldn't they simply murder someone in Sterling? Plenty of people go jogging there, too.
Criminal gangs do not pee in their own pool. It attracts too much police presense to their money making activities.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:03 PM

958 posts, read 909,712 times
As I read the interesting theories you guys are trying to make of how an innocent couple was killed, a couple thoughts come to mind...
Why do people think that a couple in Loundon wasn't involved with drug dealers?
Why does the neighborhood have to be saturated with crime for it to be gang related?

But realistically, my gut says that this was a hit. Its pretty obvious actually. Couple gets approached by a car full of thugs "randomly" as they do a daily, predictable activity, they kill them, and did they even take money? It seems like an kill-for-hire situation.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:00 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,971,832 times
There seems to be a lot of burglaries out that way. They have active adult empty communities in Landsdowne. The neighborhoods cater to pre-retirement DINKs whose homes will be left empty most of the day.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:13 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,102,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
In my opinion, the best way to prevent crime in your neighborhood is to get out and about. Garden. Take walks. Take walks with your neighbors. Or at the very least stop and talk with your neighbors. Be part of the solution. Spending time outside makes your life more enjoyable, too.
Nosy neighbors help too. We lived on a court where nearly every house had someone at home during the day. There were always people out and about and the worst thing that happened in 30 years was one bicycle theft.

Noisey dogs help too. Burglars will move on to the next house if the dogs are barking like crazy as they approach.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Leesburg a "crime nest?" LMBO!
Yeah! didn't you hear? A Pizza shop was broken into a few weeks back, late at night. I think $50 was taken from a cash register.

Yup, Leesburg is a hotbed of crime. Lock up your children!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
As I read the interesting theories you guys are trying to make of how an innocent couple was killed, a couple thoughts come to mind...
Why do people think that a couple in Loundon wasn't involved with drug dealers?<<<

Possibly because everyone in the community knew them and they were pushing 60. How many 60 year old drug dealers do you think there are? And why would they choose Landsdowne? Not a lot of customers there. Someone in their neighborhood would certainly have noticed lots of coming and going from the house of the aging drug dealers. They would stand out in such a neighborhood.

>>>Why does the neighborhood have to be saturated with crime for it to be gang related?<<<

What kind of crime? Walkers don't usually have any money on them. Why would a gang choose to attack these people? Certainly not for money, even gangs are not stupid enough to search out early morning walkers to mug for money, or drugs.

>>But realistically, my gut says that this was a hit. Its pretty obvious actually. Couple gets approached by a car full of thugs "randomly" as they do a daily, predictable activity, they kill them, and did they even take money? It seems like an kill-for-hire situation.
<<<

Someone hired a gang of people to kill BOTH of these people? Or one person was able to beat up both of them at the same time? A hit man/men choose to try to beat them to death, in a public place, rather than stabbing them or shooting them in their home? Why would he do that? And why would he/they let one of them live?

Not saying that I have any better theories.................

Old 03-25-2009, 08:27 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,616,186 times
There is enough material here to write the next Alex Cross novel. I might even take a stab and try to pen a NY Times Best Seller...

Old 03-25-2009, 02:04 PM

Some reporters seem to believe it was a gang:
Norfolk Crime Examiner: Loudoun County, Va. murder has markings of a gang initiation

Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 PM

236 posts, read 653,912 times
There's an update on the Washingtonpost too, they've discovered that William Bennett also did contract work for the CIA, so it might even have been a targeted hit.
Slain Loudoun Man Did Contract Work for CIA | LoudounExtra.com | The Washington Post

In any case, I just don't feel safe anymore, I just bought pepper spray off the internet (something is better than nothing, right?) and I'm planning on carrying it at all times with me and not go walking or jogging in the early or late hours at all (better safe than sorry).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia