Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:52 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samara11 View Post
Well yes, we do realize that crime can occur anywhere. We do keep all our doors locked all the time, double check them at night and and park our car in the garage, not in the driveway.
My husband was also considering getting a concealed handgun permit since Ashburn has been hit with all those house burglaries recently but I was not comfy with him getting a handgun with a child in the house. Should I re-consider? Or maybe we should get a security alarm system.

But then, what about outside? I would never carry a handgun, no way and he can't go walking with me to the nearest park all the time or grocery-shopping to the nearest Shopper's. I guess I have to limit my ventures outside to during daylight and not when its dark.
An alarm is just another layer in your security plan, it should not be considered the only thing you do IMO. Even if your alarm comes on, the company still has to call you and then send help. All this can take 10 minutes, even longer. Can you wait 10 minutes? I'm not trying to scare you, but just letting you know the reality of things. Those commercials where ADT calls in seconds just doesn't happen. Also police can't be everywhere all the time, so do not think they are your first layer of defense. The first layer of defense is yourself.

If you are worried about having a firearm in a house with children, they do make home safes that you can keep your firearms in. These are smaller safes that authorized people can gain entry in quickly, but will keep others out. Just be aware that a determined person with enough time and the right tools can break into them. They are more designed to keep curious or the casual thief out.

If you are not comfortable with a firearm, there are alternatives. You can keep pepper spray on your keychain. You can even carry a taser. I'm not sure if you are a stay at home mom, but burglaries happen in the daytime too. Thieves figure most people are at work during the day so the house will be empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I'm not sure if you are a stay at home mom, but burglaries happen in the daytime too. Thieves figure most people are at work during the day so the house will be empty.
In my opinion, the best way to prevent crime in your neighborhood is to get out and about. Garden. Take walks. Take walks with your neighbors. Or at the very least stop and talk with your neighbors. Be part of the solution. Spending time outside makes your life more enjoyable, too.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
When I first saw it on the news, I thought it was the conservative talk show host William Bennett and his wife. The attack occurred between 3:30 AM and 5:30 AM on Sunday morning. There aren't going to be a lot of people out, even the dog walkers.

Loudoun Attack May Have Been Random (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/032409_loudoun_couple_attack_may_be_random - broken link)

Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 AM

I wonder if the police are playing up the random attack idea as a way to get people to come forward. They're asking people in the area who have outside security cameras to review their tapes--and there's nothing like the fear of another random attack to make local residents more likely to step forward if they have something.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
LOL, "sandwiched"?????? Sterling is 14-15 miles from Lansdowne. That's one loosely packed sandwich!

This is a puzzling story. Why would someone commit a random murder on Riverside Parkway? It's a speed trap, just about any other jogging path would be a more likely site for a murder. I mean, come on--the Parkway often has cops around. It has newly planted trees that don't exactly provide coverage. You'd think someone wanting to commit a random murder would choose an easier spot like the National Conference Center. Lots of joggers there. Easy to hide, easy to cover your tracks, easy to get away.

The timing is odd, too. I can believe a gang initiation at 1:30 a.m.--but not 5:30 a.m. That doesn't fit with any of the gang stories I've heard. And 5:30 is a wierd time for a random murder, too. Think about it, 5:30 is ridiculously early for a murderer to go searching for a random jogger. It was a cold morning, you'd think a random murderer would have waited until 6:30 or so when it was more likely a jogger or two would be out.

To me it sounds like they were targeting a specific person who had a habit of jogging on that Parkway at that time. That would also explain why they dragged him across the Parkway and killed him--but left her on the other side alive. He was being targeted, she just happened to be with him. Just my opinion, but that's what I think.

Anyway, it's a sad, sad story. My prayers go out to the victims and their families. Meanwhile, I feel safe and have no intention of changing my habits. I'll be jogging near there tomorrow morning justlike always.
It is 14-15 miles of NOTHING else to target.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Wow, no holes in that theory. Now that you've explained there's a 14-15 mile radius around Sterling Park filled with nothing. Just one big bare empty field, huh?

If your theory is that some kids from Sterling got bored with petty crime and decided to murder someone for kicks... why wouldn't they simply murder someone in Sterling? Plenty of people go jogging there, too.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Did Ashburn vanish overnight?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
Did Ashburn vanish overnight?
Yes, apparently it got beamed into space along with Reston, Herndon, Cascades, Chantilly, and Vienna...

Oh, and parts of Great Falls, too. That's within a 15-mile radius.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:14 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
I agree while sad...something doesn't add up.

5:30 is not a time "gang banger or drug dealers" etc... are out. (think why do almost ALL police raids on such people occure around 6am??) they are up late at night but are almost always "crashed" by 4-5am.

It really does read like a target.

AND...LOL to the big "crime NESTs" of sterling and LEESBURG!!!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:37 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Leesburg a "crime nest?" LMBO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia