U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 AM

13,027 posts, read 19,853,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
So you can't assess a situtuation while going 10 mph? Hmmm...

No one has yet come up with a good reason that a cop intending to shut down a roadway would fail to block both lanes, with either his car or some flares.
I didn't say it couldn't be done at 10 MPH. One thing though. The cop was blocking the lane and there was a double yellow line. He should have come to a stop in that situation. That's just the sensible thing to do. The cop would then be able to direct him on what to do. To just keep on going is not the correct course of action since there was a double yellow line. I've watched cops block roads plenty of times, and they rarely block the entire road (yes, occasionally they do). They just block the lanes on the side going in the direction they need to block. That way, those who are coming from the other direction are able to exit. That looks like a good reason to me. Others mileage may vary (OMMV) though.

Edit: I went back and checked and he didn't say it was a double yellow line, but he did say it was yellow. That doesn't change anything of what I said though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 05:46 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Look, all I'm saying is that I can identify with the OP:

If I'm driving along and see a cop stopped and blocking half of the righthand lane, here's what I'm going to think and do:

1. What's that cop doing? He's almost on the side of the road, like he's pulling someone over--but he's halfway in my lane!
2. Must be some craziness on the other side of his car that he's looking into. I bet it's a dead prairie dog. Damn prairie dogs are taking over, tell you what!
3. I wonder if he's pulled somebody over. SUCKA! Haha! Can't wait to write about this on City-Data NoVA!
4. Oh! Looks like he didn't pull anybody over. Wonder what's going on. Did someone's outdoor cat get run over?
5. OK, I better go super slow in case he freaks out and gives me a ticket.
6. Whoa! Flashing lights?! What's going on here?

Old 10-15-2012, 06:47 PM

11,363 posts, read 20,154,735 times
I don't understand why some think he had to block both lanes - if there were wires down ahead of the cop - nobody would be coming in the other direction (presumably, up ahead somewhere, they were blocked from the other direction)

Old 10-16-2012, 05:59 AM

13,027 posts, read 19,853,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Look, all I'm saying is that I can identify with the OP:

If I'm driving along and see a cop stopped and blocking half of the righthand lane, here's what I'm going to think and do:

1. What's that cop doing? He's almost on the side of the road, like he's pulling someone over--but he's halfway in my lane!
2. Must be some craziness on the other side of his car that he's looking into. I bet it's a dead prairie dog. Damn prairie dogs are taking over, tell you what!
3. I wonder if he's pulled somebody over. SUCKA! Haha! Can't wait to write about this on City-Data NoVA!
4. Oh! Looks like he didn't pull anybody over. Wonder what's going on. Did someone's outdoor cat get run over?
5. OK, I better go super slow in case he freaks out and gives me a ticket.
6. Whoa! Flashing lights?! What's going on here?
That's pretty close to what I would think and do (especially #3). The only difference with the person who posted this situation is that I would not have just gone by at 35 mph.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,869 times
Default cjonesjr61

The power lines had been down from what I now know since 6:30 that evening, and I got the ticket at 1030 that night. The officer was not visible. The officer was most likely in his car at the time I came up on him, and the fact I crossed the yellow line was because I had no other choice in order to pass. I was not trying to break any laws, just trying to get to work. If I would have seen him at any time I would have slowed down and waited for some kind of directions from him.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 845 times
Default Firetrucks

I can identify with people getting confused or flustered when either getting pulled over or coming across emergency vehicles - particularly if you're in an unfamiliar area.

I'm usually pretty good at responding appropriately, but I must say that one time I was not. I was driving in Florida merging onto a highway and the long one-lane on-ramp didn't have a shoulder. A firetruck with lights blazing came up behind me on the on-ramp.

But then another firetruck, flashing lights, came up adjacent to me on my left in the slow lane of the highway right in the path of where I was about to merge on.

I had instinctively slowed down because of the one behind me but honestly I didn't know where to go!!!!! Normally you would slow down to a complete stop and give right of way to the other vehicle that was approaching on the left, but there was this huge fire truck right behind me so I couldn't stop and I also couldn't pull over! And I literally froze (my mind was running in circles like What Do I DO?) - surely driving like an old lady.

My daughter said that after I slowly merged onto the highway behind the other firetruck, the one behind me passed with half a dozen fire fighters giving me a dirty glare.

They have no idea what it's like! There are definitely scenarios where it's difficult to quickly make a decision about multiple variables.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:35 AM

6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Something tells me they were probably upset that you never looked in your rearview mirror and saw them coming. That was one of my biggest gripes when I was a LEO. I could have all lights on and my siren going full blast on an open straight highway coming up behing a car for hundreds of yards and they would never once look in their mirrors and see me. I then catch up to them and either pass them on the right, which was a no no, or stay behind them until they finally look back and react, which was often poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or