Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,662 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about buying a house in West Gate of Lomond not too far from Stonewall middle school. The culdesac had a few little kids out there riding their bikes around it and it didn't look bad but other than that I'm not too sure. It almost looks like it changes street to street. I do have a 6 month old daughter so that of course has to be taken into consideration.

Does anyone have any recent experience with that area and/or any helpful opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 06:43 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerguy View Post
I'm thinking about buying a house in West Gate of Lomond not too far from Stonewall middle school. The culdesac had a few little kids out there riding their bikes around it and it didn't look bad but other than that I'm not too sure. It almost looks like it changes street to street. I do have a 6 month old daughter so that of course has to be taken into consideration.

Does anyone have any recent experience with that area and/or any helpful opinions?
Hmmm..

This is a tough one. I used to live in West Gate Apartments a few years ago. Even though it wasn't the safest area, it was a nice area to live in. It's close to shopping, close to 66, and very laid back. Of course that was when I was single and had no kids. If you ask me now, being married with two kids, if I would move there, I would say no, you could probably do better, but it just depends. What's your price point? What things are most important to you (safety, commute to work, schools, close to highways, close to shopping)? Those are the things that matter, because ultimately you have to do what makes you happy.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:39 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,626 times
It depends on what's important to you. The area seems very busy to me; Lomond Drive is a heavily traveled through street...so I wouldn't live on that street. For you, this may not be a big deal.

I have a friend who has lived there for the last three years. She has a young son and loves the neighborhood and schools. But again...what's important to her may have absolutely no meaning to you.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,662 times
Well my price range is up to 300k but its surprising how little you can get for that. I also have 3 dogs so a fenced yard is a must.

The house itself wasn't right on Lomond, it's at the end of a culdesac off of Lomond. Ill be working in Springfield and want to stay away from 95. Hearing that your friend loves the schools is good to hear though. Now a safe area is probably my main concern since I know Manassas has its good and bad pockets. When I was checking it out it seemed like the houses were ok but the townhouses and apartments were a no go.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 PM

214 posts, read 487,750 times
Manassas---> Springfield does not sound like a great commute to me. What about areas south of Springfield (Lorton, etc)?

Old 10-21-2012, 04:46 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama2dallas View Post
Manassas---> Springfield does not sound like a great commute to me. What about areas south of Springfield (Lorton, etc)?
That's just not much in that budget near Springfield, in a decent area. I don't know how the OP feels but he would have to consider some not so good areas.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:09 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,299 times
I would really do your homework on the schools. Here is a resource: greatschools.org will tell you SOL scores, student population, what % is free/reduced lunch. I would also search the forum for various crime reports available for research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia