U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 05:49 PM

25,717 posts, read 37,583,188 times

Advertisements

Okay Northern Virginians, i have a little poll for you. Basically the four options are neighborhoods that we have told people to avoid if possible. But what if, like me, you had really no choice but to live in one of these areas? Which one would give you the least worries to move into? Before you vote i'll clarify the total area i'm talking about.

South Alexandria- No more than one mile east or west of Rt.1 south of the Beltway or North of Ft. Belvoir.

Landmark/Edsall Rd.- A box bordered by Edsall Rd to the South, Duke St to the North, 395 to the west, and Van Dorn St to the east.

Bailey's Crossroads- Along or close to Rt 7 beginning at S 28th St in Alexandria until the Rt7/Rt 50/Wilson Blvd intersection.

Arlandria- Along Mt Vernon Ave between S Glebe and W Glebe Rd.

So how about it the lesser of 4 evils and why?

As for me i currently live in the Landmark/Edsall Rd area and i choose it because you have more professionals mixed in along with the lower income people, it has great metro connections and very close to 395 AND 495, and looks somewhat nicer than the other three areas.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 03-27-2009 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: at suggestion of pcity
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 06:40 PM

3,242 posts, read 8,699,018 times
1. Landmark/Edsall
2. South Alexandria (Huntington or Belle View preferably)
3. Bailey's Crossroads (closer to 395 preferably)
4. Arlandria

I also live in the Landmark area and agree that Landmark/Edsall has a broader mix of people. Honestly, I don't think it even belongs on the list with the other 3 options which, from what I know, have a much seedier reputation than Landmark. Landmark is the only option of the four in which I would live almost anywhere within that area.

As for South Alexandria, I would have no problem living on Rt. 1 in Huntington but if I had to live further South right on Route 1 (like Hybla Valley area), this would probably be near the bottom of my list. Also, some of the neighborhoods that are justwithin 1.5 miles of Route 1 are really nice, like Belle View. If you dropped it to just a 1 mile radius, I'd have a more negative opinion of the area.

Similar for Bailey's Crossroads- I wouldn't have a problem living in, say, Skyline, but I wouldn't want to live off of Columbia Pike in that area.

Arlandria is the only one of the four that I would not want to live in, period. However, this is kind of unfair because it is the smallest of the 4 areas, so of course there will be the least variation in that area. I would not have a problem living in the surrounding areas to Arlandria (Del Ray, Parkfairfax, etc.) but would not want to live in Arlandria itself.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:52 PM

13,276 posts, read 23,714,210 times
I don't have time to devote to this at the moment, but I agree: Arlandria is OUT, we live in West End so not sure if you are considering that in the Landmark area? I/we feel perfectly safe here but we aren't quite as far as Edsall area so maybe it changes a bit?

Old 03-28-2009, 04:12 PM

25,717 posts, read 37,583,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I don't have time to devote to this at the moment, but I agree: Arlandria is OUT, we live in West End so not sure if you are considering that in the Landmark area? I/we feel perfectly safe here but we aren't quite as far as Edsall area so maybe it changes a bit?
I think your residence is exempt. You say you live in a SFH in 22304 (from your posts) and the ones i see in the West End are a outside the area i mentioned. Landmark is mainly apartments and Townhomes same thing with Edsall Rd.

Arlandria is somwhere i think everyone can agree on is just avoidable, period.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:18 PM

208 posts, read 1,171,091 times
Culmore is a dump. I would have to say that’s the worst, hands down.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:52 AM

9 posts, read 17,721 times
Bailey's Crossroads- Along or close to Rt 7 beginning at S 28th St in Alexandria until the Rt7/Rt 50/Wilson Blvd intersection.

HANDS down!

Then Landmark/Edsall
Then Arlandria
THen Rt 1 south (NEVER EVER EVER would I move there)

Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,249,971 times
Landmark.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:16 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,261,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Okay Northern Virginians, i have a little poll for you. Basically the four options are neighborhoods that we have told people to avoid if possible. But what if, like me, you had really no choice but to live in one of these areas? Which one would give you the least worries to move into? Before you vote i'll clarify the total area i'm talking about.

South Alexandria- No more than one mile east or west of Rt.1 south of the Beltway or North of Ft. Belvoir.

Landmark/Edsall Rd.- A box bordered by Edsall Rd to the South, Duke St to the North, 395 to the west, and Van Dorn St to the east.

Arlandria- Along Mt Vernon Ave between S Glebe and W Glebe Rd.

So how about it the lesser of 4 evils and why?

As for me i currently live in the Landmark/Edsall Rd area and i choose it because you have more professionals mixed in along with the lower income people, it has great metro connections and very close to 395 AND 495, and looks somewhat nicer than the other three areas.
I know this is old, but I have to laugh. I've lived in nearly all those locations as a young, naive, blonde girl and had no issues. The people in all areas were very polite and friendly (of course, it probably helps that I smiled at them as I walked past them as well)

I've lived near Bailey's crossroads (an apartment near Van Dorn/Braddock intersection--granted, that's skyline more than bailey's), in an apartment near Mt. Vernon/W. Glebe, and now in a house off Edsall (albeit just west of 395, not east). I've never felt unsafe in any of them.

The area I do feel unsafe in is the immediate Landmark area. The area where the dollar tree/ross/ihop is at the bottom of LRT/Beureguard gives me the heebie jeebies. Probably because my boss told me that they once found chopped up bodies in the freezer at the kfc there.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:36 AM

5,117 posts, read 9,346,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I know this is old, but I have to laugh. I've lived in nearly all those locations as a young, naive, blonde girl and had no issues. The people in all areas were very polite and friendly (of course, it probably helps that I smiled at them as I walked past them as well)

I've lived near Bailey's crossroads (an apartment near Van Dorn/Braddock intersection--granted, that's skyline more than bailey's), in an apartment near Mt. Vernon/W. Glebe, and now in a house off Edsall (albeit just west of 395, not east). I've never felt unsafe in any of them.

The area I do feel unsafe in is the immediate Landmark area. The area where the dollar tree/ross/ihop is at the bottom of LRT/Beureguard gives me the heebie jeebies. Probably because my boss told me that they once found chopped up bodies in the freezer at the kfc there.
There was a multiple homicide at what was then a Roy Rogers near the intersection of Routes 236 and 395 in 1976; the victims were found in the walk-in freezer. One person survived. At the time, Landmark was still a fairly nice area. The current population, however, is far more transient, and the fact that Landmark's right near a major highway (395) certainly doesn't help people feel more secure. The Culmore area has many run-down apartment complexes, but it feels safer to me due to the pedestrians on the streets and the fact that this stretch of Route 7 actually has some really good restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia